Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*scrolling through 5 new pages looking for something material*
NOPE. 😂

The big reveal was that @Tigers admitted to being full of *sugar* (which I think everyone agreed) and then the rest of us realizing he was not the only one and that we all are full of it. Other than that, you are right that you did not miss much.

I dunno. This article says Tesla cut 6 seconds off the time between 2019 and 2020. Hop Onboard the 1100-HP Tesla Model S Plaid as it Sets a Laguna Seca Lap Record

Is it really impossible to believe they can cut 3 more seconds off the time between 2020 and 2021?
I think they can do it, but it seems, at some point, it is no longer about the drivetrain and all about the tires--even on the Plaid+, there is a disclaimer that you need proper wheels and tires to get maximum performance. From a design and engineering perspective, it is an interesting topic. When Elon introduced the "D" he had an interesting spiel on the fact they needed to go AWD because the car was traction limited from 0-30 with RWD (or something like that).

Software and hardware tweaks should not take this long.

IMO, they were surprised by the EQS range and are trying their best to beat it without making substantial changed to the car.

This is a risky course of action as they may mess up a good design, meanwhile, EQS production is getting closer every day making a switch is tempting for some...

I am sure Elon's ego is driving the boat, not sound business practice...
👍

I’m new here, but thought I would add another datum point. Ordered my first Tesla a LR MS on 3/3. My account doesn’t specify any delivery date, just that they will reach out to me when it’s ready.

I just called my corporate SA, and he said best guess is 10 - 14 weeks from now before deliveries start. He acknowledges that he is just regurgitating the website which he said is the best source of knowledge.

After I said that I might cancel my order, he suggested that deliveries might happen much sooner. I don’t think people will get there cars before July at the earliest. I think it is 50/50 that we will here something about the refreshes at the earnings call on Monday. If there isn’t any more info given on Monday I’m canceling my order.

I am not impressed with how Tesla communicates with future customers. It doesn’t seem like a sustainable business model as competition ramps up. If I could afford a Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo I would get that. Not sure what I’m going to now.

This a bit counter-intuitive and I’m curious if I’m alone here.

The longer this goes on, I’m feeling more & more likely to delay delivery. I originally thought this was a moderate refresh. And I still don’t see enough changes that justify these kinds of delays.

But at 4 months [and counting] of zero real production, I now suspect there’s some structural issues here. We’re increasingly likely to see some of the classic Tesla growing pains & inconsistent quality. I’m not prepared to deal with that for 90k-100k, so I’ll probably wait 3-6 months for them to iron things out. Or just order M3P instead.
I test drove M3P recently and also considered buying one. I don't think MS is coming out until end of the year, possibly even next year at this rate.

I’m new here, but thought I would add another datum point. Ordered my first Tesla a LR MS on 3/3. My account doesn’t specify any delivery date, just that they will reach out to me when it’s ready.

I just called my corporate SA, and he said best guess is 10 - 14 weeks from now before deliveries start. He acknowledges that he is just regurgitating the website which he said is the best source of knowledge.

After I said that I might cancel my order, he suggested that deliveries might happen much sooner. I don’t think people will get there cars before July at the earliest. I think it is 50/50 that we will here something about the refreshes at the earnings call on Monday. If there isn’t any more info given on Monday I’m canceling my order.

I am not impressed with how Tesla communicates with future customers. It doesn’t seem like a sustainable business model as competition ramps up. If I could afford a Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo I would get that. Not sure what I’m going to now.
You like the looks of the Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo? 🤪 Regardless, it has < 250 mi. max battery range and yes, it's very pricey...it's a P car. Anyhow, there are many EV options these days and many more coming later this year but after driving a $92k 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE EV (as my first EV), I jumped ship (after admittedly enjoying driving the I-Pace EV very much for 2 years/36k mi.) and ordered a Tesla MS Plaid. I waited 9 months to take delivery of my Jaguar I-Pace EV, so waiting a few months for my MS Plaid, although disappointing, is okay with me I suppose.

Perhaps Tesla is just making sure the vehicle meets and/or exceeds it's own specs and standards? Or perhaps it's the retooling of the assembly line? Or maybe the chip shortage? Or maybe it's the yoke steering wheel? Who knows? Who cares at this point; it almost doesn't matter. YES, there is NO COMMUNICATION and almost no honesty with Tesla (and EVERYONE is kept in the dark with zero information)...agreed that Tesla's way of doing business is absolutely HORRIBLE, but after test driving the old version of the MS Performance (with ~ 800 HP/TQ) and seeing all the high-tech stuff (and that was the old s/w version), I'm sold on the vehicle and the Plaid supposedly has 1,020 HP/TQ and 350-390 mi. battery range! 😎 Let's see after I take delivery and drive it for 2-3 years or whatever. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Last edited:
You like the looks of the Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo? 🤪 Regardless, it has < 250 mi. max battery range and yes, it's very pricey...it's a P car. Anyhow, there are many EV options these days and many more coming later this year but after driving a $92k 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE EV (as my first EV), I jumped ship (after admittedly enjoying driving the I-Pace EV very much for 2 years/36k mi.) and ordered a Tesla MS Plaid. I waited 9 months to take delivery of my Jaguar I-Pace EV, so waiting a few months for my MS Plaid, although disappointing, is okay with me I suppose.

Perhaps Tesla is just making sure the vehicle meets and/or exceeds it's own specs and standards? Or perhaps it's the retooling of the assembly line? Or maybe the chip shortage? Or maybe it's the yoke steering wheel? Who knows? Who cares at this point; it almost doesn't matter. YES, there is NO COMMUNICATION and almost no honesty with Tesla (and EVERYONE is kept in the dark with zero information)...agreed that Tesla's way of doing business is absolutely HORRIBLE, but after test driving the old version of the MS Performance (with ~ 800 HP/TQ) and seeing all the high-tech stuff (and that was the old s/w version), I'm sold on the vehicle and the Plaid supposedly has 1,020 HP/TQ and 350-390 mi. battery range! 😎 Let's see after I take delivery and drive it for 2-3 years or whatever. Just my thoughts on the subject.
I like wagons. The Cross Turismo is the only ev wagon(ish) vehicle in the US of which I’m aware. I was considering an I-Pace. But the range and infotainment center made me hesitate.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
I like wagons. The Cross Turismo is the only ev wagon(ish) vehicle in the US of which I’m aware. I was considering an I-Pace. But the range and infotainment center made me hesitate.
Okay, at least there's 1 person in the United States that likes "wagons." 😂 I think the P Taycan CT will be a flop in the US and will do well in Europe...they like their "shooting brakes" over there. Anyhow, like I said the Porsche Taycan (and Audi E-Tron GT) have way less range, less power & performance, less tech and for A LOT more $$...but like you said, it's not in the budget for you anyhow. There are other decent EVs out already and many more coming later this year and next but thus far, the only one I see as a real competitor to the Tesla MS and MS Plaid is the Lucid Air GT and Dream Ed (but those will arrive in 3rd & 4th QTRs 2021...maybe). Then there's the fugly new MB EQS...awesome tech and great range > 400 mi. but God-awful ugly, terrible performance by today's EV standards and expensive. Imagine how much MB will get for their upcoming AMG versions, and I bet their AMG versions will still have < 800 HP/TQ and won't be able to keep up with the MS Plaid and Plaid +. Don't get me wrong, I love P cars (had one...a Porsche Macan Turbo) and an AMG in the past...love them, but it still seems that Tesla is way ahead of almost all other auto mfgr's with EV technology (except maybe Lucid).

Honestly, at this point I WANT another company to whoop Tesla’s a—. It’s just absurd for so many reasons. I really don’t WANT to give them my money, but I am dedicated to EVs and I personally don’t think anything comes, or will come, close to the S or X in the next 12 months or so. It’s all vaporware- just like the S and X refresh. :)

No doubt if/when the refresh comes out, I keep my S and X at this point and defer delivery. But I can still complain about it being late! ;-)

You're thinking about it the wrong way - it's if there's no more posting, then you know people got their cars...
or threw in the towel ‘aerodyne’

Trust me, no one on planet earth is impressed with the way Tesla communicates. Must be a good reason why we’re all still here. As soon as you put your foot down on that accelerator pedal the first time 🤩... you will forget about all this nonsense. It sure is an annoying wait though.

Last edited:
Last edited:
In that comparison, it shows the LR and Plaid will have a 100KW battery. Has that been confirmed ? I didn’t realize Tesla provided the battery size.
No. Not confirmed and Tesla doesn’t provide battery size any longer. As with most “publications” it’s based on heresay, forums, Reddit, etc with no actual substantive review of facts.

I like the Lucid Air, but I have zero confidence I’d get it before an MS LR, even with the delay. Also, in order to get 500+ miles, you need to pay the same amount/similar as Plaid.

Reactions: Tigers and Drew-MS
No. Not confirmed and Tesla doesn’t provide battery size any longer. As with most “publications” it’s based on heresay, forums, Reddit, etc with no actual substantive review of facts.

I like the Lucid Air, but I have zero confidence I’d get it before an MS LR, even with the delay. Also, in order to get 500+ miles, you need to pay the same amount/similar as Plaid.
Yes, I had a Lucid Air GT on order and at least with the $7500 EV credit, the Lucid Air was a few thousand less than my MS Plaid. But, I thought, ahem, that I would be able to take delivery on the MS Plaid way before I could take delivery on the lucid Air GT so I canceled my order on the Lucid Air GT and they refunded my deposit.

Plus, there are still too many unknowns with Lucid, given it’s a brand new auto Mfgr and a new EV. I want to wait to see how it all plays out and how well the Lucid Air is received and reviewed in the next 2-3 years. After I thought about it, I realized it was a bad idea to be one of the first to spend $130k+ on a brand new vehicle from a brand new auto manufacturer. In addition, the Lucid Air lacks a few things which I feel are “must-haves” like air suspension.