Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You secretly want to be like @sflgator so be honest - you already have the badge on order from Amazon...
Face it, no one wants to be like @sflgator. I haven’t had a Estimated Delivery for 10+ days. I think that I am in the minority. I appreciate not being lied to with a phony delivery date. I will start to get excited when other people start to get their VINs and an actual delivery of their new cars.

As far as competition to Tesla, I think a major problem will be the availability of batteries. I read different articles about contracts that Tesla has secured for batteries and material to build batteries in the last several months. Everyone else are working on their prototypes. This year has shown that part shortages with halt production. If you can’t get batteries then you won’t be building any EVs.

• Funny
Reactions: sflgator
Face it, no one wants to be like @sflgator. I haven’t had a Estimated Delivery for 10+ days. I think that I am in the minority. I appreciate not being lied to with a phony delivery date. I will start to get excited when other people start to get their VINs and an actual delivery of their new cars.

As far as competition to Tesla, I think a major problem will be the availability of batteries. I read different articles about contracts that Tesla has secured for batteries and material to build batteries in the last several months. Everyone else are working on their prototypes. This year has shown that part shortages with halt production. If you can’t get batteries then you won’t be building any EVs.
I think blanks are actually earlier in the queue than people with June estimates, but what do I know.

Good to be unique, lol. 😜 :cool: BTW -- senseless to knock on me; we come to your state often to ski and enjoy the magnificent nature in CO...spending lots of money for CO's economy. 👍 The wife & I went skiing in Beaver Creek, CO this past Jan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laddcruzer
That is surprising and definitely not the norm. I have tried to trade several cars to Tesla, and without exception Vroom.com and Carvana have always offered several thousand more than Tesla. The sales tax benefit is also only applicable in certain states. No such tax benefit exists in California.
Tesla gave me higher offers than the other usual suspects. That could be due to Tesla giving more allowance for FSD.

Reactions: T-Racer
Tesla gave me higher offers than the other usual suspects. That could be due to Tesla giving more allowance for FSD.
That's interesting - I have never owned a previous Tesla with FSD. I did have EAP on my 2018 Model 3 LR and they definitely didn't give any allowance for that. Tesla's offer was $2,500 lower than the next lowest offer. On my 2016.5 Model S P90DL. Tesla offered $46K and Vroom.com offered $49.5

Tesla has never given me a remotely competitive trade in offer. Am I the only one here that has continued to get terrible trade in offers from Tesla?

Last edited:
I ALWAYS de-badge for two reasons:

1) You don't want every stop light to be a street race
2) When you have it, and use it, they will know....
You're talking about an acceleration difference of about 0.6 seconds. Factor into that differences in reaction time, and the fact that most other vehicles can't even handle the acceleration of a MSLR, I really don't think most people "will know" whether they lost a dead stop acceleration to a plaid or a LR.

Now, if they catch both vehicles for a race at say 70MPH, then they will know.

Both of those appear to be irrelevant. Tesla will happily give you a lowball offer and take your trade in at thousands below current wholesale pricing.

Try Vroom.com, Carvana, or Carmax for a much better offer.
Thanks for the input. The Carvana offer is about $2000 better than Tesla's (this includes about $1000 in tax savings in Florida)

Reactions: EVonly
No but adding 1000lbs of cargo or towing that weight on top of the 5 passengers might impact it quite a bit. As I’ve said, it’s all speculation and probably not real anyway.
My point is I think adding 150 miles of range for not having the 1000 lbs is grossly exaggerated. That weight won't have a massive effect at travelling speed. If it did, all of Tesla's range specifications would break it down by number of passengers.

You're talking about an acceleration difference of about 0.6 seconds. Factor into that differences in reaction time, and the fact that most other vehicles can't even handle the acceleration of a MSLR, I really don't think most people "will know" whether they lost a dead stop acceleration to a plaid or a LR.

Now, if they catch both vehicles for a race at say 70MPH, then they will know.
Um, it's generally acknowledged that every 0.1 sec = about 1 car length in distance, so even if your est 0.6 sec difference is accurate, that's like 6 car lengths separation. Guessing you know what 6 car lengths means if you're behind...you've just been WALKED! And that's not to mention that's it's likely a 0.8-1.1 sec difference (~ 3.1 sec 0-60 / ~ 10.8 sec. 1/4 mi. LR vs. ~ 2.0 sec 0-60 / ~ 9.3 sec 1/4 mi. PLAID /, which means more like 8-11 car lengths difference. So, that's like OBLITERATION in drag racing terms. Just saying. ;)

Um, it's generally acknowledged that every 0.1 sec = about 1 car length in distance, so even with your est 0.6 sec difference is accurate, that's like 6 car lengths separation. Guessing you know what 6 car lengths means if you're behind...you've just been WALKED! And that's not to mention that's it's likely a 0.8-1.0 sec difference (~ 3.1 sec 0-60 / ~ 10.8 sec. 1/4 mi. LR vs. ~ 2.0 sec 0-60 / ~ 9.3 sec 1/4 mi. PLAID /, which means more like 8-10 car lengths difference. So, that's like OBLITERATION in drag racing terms. Just saying. ;)
There are a lot of problems with your math there. Apparently, you have bitten down hard on the marketing tricks.

My point is I think adding 150 miles of range for not having the 1000 lbs is grossly exaggerated. That weight won't have a massive effect at travelling speed. If it did, all of Tesla's range specifications would break it down by number of passengers.
Absolutely agree it doesn’t sound real. And so far only two people have really reported that. It would be very impressive if that were real. That said, I’m not going anywhere as long as Tesla has the range, network and software capability it has.

Reactions: Sigma4Life
Um, it's generally acknowledged that every 0.1 sec = about 1 car length in distance, so even if your est 0.6 sec difference is accurate, that's like 6 car lengths separation. Guessing you know what 6 car lengths means if you're behind...you've just been WALKED! And that's not to mention that's it's likely a 0.8-1.1 sec difference (~ 3.1 sec 0-60 / ~ 10.8 sec. 1/4 mi. LR vs. ~ 2.0 sec 0-60 / ~ 9.3 sec 1/4 mi. PLAID /, which means more like 8-11 car lengths difference. So, that's like OBLITERATION in drag racing terms. Just saying. ;)

IF you are doing that against another Plaid S. For the other 99% of the cars on the road the LR will STILL leave them by many more than 6 car lengths. 🤦🏻‍♂️

There are a lot of problems with your math there. Apparently, you have bitten down hard on the marketing tricks.
Talking 1/4 mi. and yes, it's accurate when you're = or > 100mph in the 1/4 mi. Forget 0-60mph because that's gone in a blink of an eye with any decent sports car these days that can run 2-3.5 sec. I rarely see or experience any street race that's done from just 0-60mph. It typically goes just a wee bit longer, don't 'ya think. besides, again, even 0-60mph between 3.1 sec and 2.0 sec is just not even close...going to be at least few car lengths difference.

IF you are doing thy against another Plaid S. For the other 99% of the cars on the road the LR will STILL leave them in the dust.
boonedocks gets it. Most of us will never see a 1/4 mile race. My comments were about red light racing. That doesn't last for a 1/4 mile, and almost any other car who red light races a MS will lose bad, and not be able to distinguish the difference between roughly 2.24 sec 0-60 and 3.1 0-60.

IF you are doing that against another Plaid S. For the other 99% of the cars on the road the LR will STILL leave them in the dust.
Not disagreeing that 3.1 sec 0-60 isn't quick...it's quicker than 95% of most cars yes. But races against Porsche 911 Turbos, GT-Rs, Lambos, Ferrari's, some AMGs, and BMW M's will be interesting and close to say the least. My GT-R ran 2.7 sec 0-60mph...that was quite quick in my book anyway.

boonedocks gets it. Most of us will never see a 1/4 mile race. My comments were about red light racing. That doesn't last for a 1/4 mile, and almost any other car who red light races a MS will lose bad, and not be able to distinguish the difference between roughly 2.24 sec 0-60 and 2.86 0-60.
Okay fine, we'll meet in the middle...most street races are approx 1/8 mi....and 0.5-0.7 sec difference will be at least 4-5 car lengths difference. No small gap. Been 1/4 mi racing enough with my previous cars so I get it and understand but seems like you're not acknowledging what's obvious.