Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking future track package: active spoiler, upgraded suspension, red calipers (too soon?)
C'mon. Elon convincingly explained that "the Plaid is just so good." See, before now, he didn't realize how good the Plaid is.

Even though he has a plaid and has been driving it around....perhaps he did not install the latest update.

I have been traveling and missed some discussion, but I think the Plaid+ cancellation reason given by musk is BS. They must be having battery pack development problems.
I think it's more likely that not enough people were buying Plaid, and Plaid+ was too far off in the future. To avoid Osbourne Effect, they tried to court Plaid+ reservation holders to switch the regular Plaid, but too many wanted to wait (I'm one of them). This resulted in them straight up cancelling it until they have a more definitive date (although, this is speculation).

I think it's more likely that not enough people were buying Plaid, and Plaid+ was too far off in the future. To avoid Osbourne Effect, they tried to court Plaid+ reservation holders to switch the regular Plaid, but too many wanted to wait (I'm one of them). This resulted in them straight up cancelling it until they have a more definitive date (although, this is speculation).
This I buy. They realized it was stupid to intentionally create an Osbourne effect.

Also, I think you need buzz for a car like Plaid. The speed has no practical utility, so the only benefit is to show off. But most of the public don't think of Tesla as they think of Ferrari or Lamborghini. Most of the public wouldn't be able to tell a Model 3 from a Model S (I couldn't before I bought the refresh in January). Hence, tomorrow's big event where Elon goes on and on about how Plaid is the world's fastest car.

Tesla would not have to play these games if they were just straight up and communicative with the order holders.

Thing is, I think they should have done more to make the Plaid more distinct from the LR. I’m sure the speed and torque vectoring are fun, but not worth $40K to me (and exceedingly hard to justify to my other half!). Carbon Fiber interior was something, but even that is missing at this point unless you wait, and it’s not something everyone even wants. Having reduced range is also a downside.

My guess is that they’ll have an exclusive wheel set coming later this year (with the 200mph rated tires) only available on the Plaid which will help distinguish it a bit, but of course you can always buy wheels aftermarket, and they’ll probably cost even more.

Part of me just wishes they put in a couple of extra luxury or convenience features in the Plaid, to help me justify buying one 😉 Or if it had increase range, like the Plaid+ was supposed to have, that would be an easier sell too.

Kind of surprised it doesn’t have bigger brakes. Or if it does, that they aren’t bothering to tell anyone about it.

Reminder for folks paying cash--you do not have to use Plaid, although the order page makes it look like it is your only option. Just click through all the Plaid stuff and the site will direct you to use a wire transfer or a check. There instructions for those are on the last page of the MVPA.
I’m a bit confused. My account only shows a MVOA not a MVPA. Will that come later when I’m assigned a VIN? Congrats again and really appreciate all your efforts and wisdom.

Reactions: T-Racer
I have been traveling and missed some discussion, but I think the Plaid+ cancellation reason given by musk is BS. They must be having battery pack development problems.
Except the Plaid+ wasn’t scheduled to be the first to get the new packs. Model Y and Cybertruck are and those aren’t canceled.

Definitely! I'm not someone that watches an event with my phone thats for sure. I'm too old for that. haha.
I was there for the MY unveiling.... I was the only person not livestreaming, I felt so out of place that I pulled out my phone and went live for a few minutes to like 1 viewer on instagram just so I could be like the cool kids, hahahaha

Thing is, I think they should have done more to make the Plaid more distinct from the LR. I’m sure the speed and torque vectoring are fun, but not worth $40K to me (and exceedingly hard to justify to my other half!). Carbon Fiber interior was something, but even that is missing at this point unless you wait, and it’s not something everyone even wants. Having reduced range is also a downside.

My guess is that they’ll have an exclusive wheel set coming later this year (with the 200mph rated tires) only available on the Plaid which will help distinguish it a bit, but of course you can always buy wheels aftermarket, and they’ll probably cost even more.

Part of me just wishes they put in a couple of extra luxury or convenience features in the Plaid, to help me justify buying one 😉 Or if it had increase range, like the Plaid+ was supposed to have, that would be an easier sell too.

Kind of surprised it doesn’t have bigger brakes. Or if it does, that they aren’t bothering to tell anyone about it.
>>> Part of me just wishes they put in a couple of extra luxury or convenience features in the Plaid, to help me justify buying one 😉 <<<

Elon barely announced the LR and I bet tomorrow's event will have a few Easter Eggs in the details. 👍🙌🥳