Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got an estimate from the only electrician on the "recommended" list by Tesla that does work in my area. $2500. One of the reasons listed is that my electrical panel is full, and a second panel will need to be installed.

Looks like I need to get some quotes from some electricians not on Tesla's list.
Hi. I’m getting estimates now. Found a couple empty (last ones) circuits so no added board. How far did they have to run the wiring? Copper is super expensive so distance is a big part of the costs. Mine has to go from garage to circuit breaker which of course on the opposite basement wall. wonder how these estimates will come in from local electricians…

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Hi. I’m getting estimates now. Found a couple empty (last ones) circuits so no added board. How far did they have to run the wiring? Copper is super expensive so distance is a big part of the costs. Mine has to go from garage to circuit breaker which of course on the opposite basement wall. wonder how these estimates will come in from local electricians…
Estimate was for 25 feet, through one wall, and they needed to install a sub panel (my circuit breaker box is full).]

I called a second electrician. They told me they are not taking new customers at this time.

I called a third electrician. They never returned my call.

I called a fourth electrician. They quoted me at $1300, but would not install the garage wiring in the wall. They are running conduit pipe from the hole to the garage to the Tesla charger. I don't know how I feel about this, but in the end I don't spend much time in my garage.

Unlike some of you, I read both the good and the bad.

So far:

- Car feels insanely fast (OK - cool, I drive in chill mode, not applicable to me)
- I could rag on the Plaid and its performance, but Im not getting one and dont care, but wish Tesla spent more time on *sugar* other than 0-60 and QTR mile.
- Interior is a definite upgrade (big plus)
- Overall the cabin is quieter (big plus)
- Yoke is a gimmick and provides no real value (lame)
- Seems to be tons of things coming later/not activated, including BOTH my tilting screen AND ANC.
- Build quality is meh still. Paint sucks, gaskets are weird, door trim is misaligned.
- Taillights look like *sugar*.
- No idea what the real world range is.

So, yeah - I mean, hard to make a decision with that.
You should seriously look at a Lucid Air when it arrives later this year or early next year. I will be watching Lucid to see how it goes for them over the next 2-3 years and a Lucid Air GT could be my next EV after the MS Plaid. You may be happier with a Lucid Air , Audi E-Tron GT or something else that's similar.

Reactions: Leodoc
Estimate was for 25 feet, through one wall, and they needed to install a sub panel (my circuit breaker box is full).]

I called a second electrician. They told me they are not taking new customers at this time.

I called a third electrician. They never returned my call.

I called a fourth electrician. They quoted me at $1300, but would not install the garage wiring in the wall. They are running conduit pipe from the hole to the garage to the Tesla charger. I don't know how I feel about this, but in the end I don't spend much time in my garage.
Sounds about right, it cost me $1500 to get mine done. It's a super long run as my panel is on the opposite side of my house from the garage. They wouldn't run the wiring in my garage wall either (probably due to code issues) and i have a conduit. Looks fine, you can paint it if you want to make it look less obtrusive.

You should seriously look at a Lucid Air when it arrives later this year or early next year. I will be watching Lucid to see how it goes for them over the next 2-3 years and a Lucid Air GT could be my next EV after the MS Plaid. You may be happier with a Lucid Air , Audi E-Tron GT or something else that's similar.

Nah - the good Lucid is out of my price range, the charging network sucks, and it looks like a car my great grand daddy would drive. I do think the under pinnings are excellent from what they have said and probably better than Tesla's Model S Plaid (or LR)...but who the hell knows.

I have contemplated this as well. But a few comments from Omar about enjoying the car now and such has me just getting it and worrying about having better later.

My guess is that they will update the taillights but they will not update the sheet metal due to expense/time. The active spoiler will be a taligate change. If that is the case, I will just buy the new tail lights and swap them out.

There will be a track package that will be equivalent to the old Plaid + improvements on spoiler, HP/TQ, suspension, etc. Maybe then they will also go 4860 in both and bring out the Plaid+ and LR+.

Just uneducated speculation - something I have not posted in a while.
Don't postpone JOY!

Well, if 3.1 is with rollout subtracted, they'd definitely want to tell you, as it would mean the Plaid is even faster. So, clearly it includes rollout, meaning an apples to apples is going to be something like "1.99" to 2.8ish. .8 is a big difference - but, I wonder how many people you could put in a LR and do 0-60 and tell them it was the Plaid...how many would even know the difference?
1/4 mi. time and ET dude. ANY car that can do 0-60mph in < 3.0 sec is crazy quick, but the power in the top end is what majorly sets the Plaid apart from everything else including the MS LR. HUGE difference between 600-700 HP/TQ and 1,020 HP/TQ...the Plaid should just feel like entirely different ANIMAL...you know like a bobcat compared with a TIGER, lol. 😜

Nah - the good Lucid is out of my price range, the charging network sucks, and it looks like a car my great grand daddy would drive. I do think the under pinnings are excellent from what they have said and probably better than Tesla's Model S Plaid (or LR)...but who the hell knows.
Base Lucid Air coming in 2022, similar to cost of Tesla MS LR. And it's a gorgeous vehicle with high quality materials, craftsmanship, attention to details as well as great tech and excellent max battery range!

Base Lucid Air coming in 2022, similar to cost of Tesla MS LR. And it's a gorgeous vehicle with high quality materials, craftsmanship, attention to details as well as great tech and excellent max battery range!

Youre giving lucid a little too much credit. We have no idea what build quality or attention to details they will have. None. They aren't producing the damn cars yet.

Plus if it is base Lucid vs LR Model S, I'll take the Model S any day. Again - the Lucid looks like my rich great grand daddys car.

Seriously, you must realize that all the negative phrases you put out there stick in peoples minds no matter how you retract them or walk them back later....

I just had my wall charger installed today. Was $2000 as I had to go from my garage to the panel in the basement, probably 40’ of cable. Had to add a circuit breaker. The guy said copper just went through the roof or normally would be about $1500-$1700. Took 3-4 weeks to get them to come out. Said he was booked until 3rd week of July at this point. So I just took it on the chin and paid it….

Yes.. I was blank for several weeks. Changed to June 22-28 this morning. I then had a VIN assigned in my account when I checked a few hours later. And I hate to say this for all the people struggling not to check their accounts..
Good point, and no struggle here. I've been checking a lot.
There you go!

Motor Trend proves Tesla's claims! AWESOME!

Although their trap speed was not 155 mph. Never the less, it matched the Leno runs!

Does anyone find it strange that the title of the Motor Trend article is: 2022 Model S Plaid: 0-60 in 1.98 ?
"Tesla granted us access to be the first independent source to test the 2022 Model S Plaid before its June 10 customer-delivery event."
Thought they're all 2021s.
Hmmmm

Seriously, you must realize that all the negative phrases you put out there stick in peoples minds no matter how you retract them or walk them back later....

What the hell are you talking about?

Please refer me to a post where I said the lucid air is a better looking car than the model s?

If they can deliver, the engineering in the car is great and the presentation reveal was way beyond the half assed *sugar* Elon/Tesla did with the plaid.

But I've always said the air is not my cup of tea.