Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright, I’ve been blessed with an update. This may come as a shock to some of you and to the well seasoned Tesla owners, it will not be surprising.

Disclaimer: This is in regards to Long Range orders, I am not sure if this applies to Plaid orders.

After seeing people get assigned VINs for Long Range, I figured that they started producing (obviously, otherwise no VIN) the Long Ranges and I am not too far behind the line…

I called my inside man who answered in one word sentences after telling me he cannot speak at length to what’s going on. Here is the conversation.

Me: What’s the Queue like?

JR: No queue.

Me: How are they prioritising early orders/owners.

JR: Nope.

I caught on to what he was doing. Smart me.

Me: So it’s completely random?

JR: Nope

Me: So there’s an order…

Me: It’s not random and there’s no order… are early reservation holders being prioritised?

Me: I see most orders have the new 21” Wheels. Is that something to do?

Me (frustrated): You’re saying that if I place a LR order right now, with regular wheels I might get assigned this week?

JR: Possibly. But unlikely. There is no system to how these LR VINs are being assigned.

Me (defeated): Am I getting a car in the next month.

JR: Maybe. But only maybe.

Me: Sounds like a cluster [insert expletive here]

JR: There is no system in place. Cars are being assigned not by region, or config. The only thing that’s true for is the Plaid. All of those are being matched as soon as they come off the line. I don’t expect any major changes after EOQ. Things will most likely slow down so a proper system can be implemented. For now it’s as you said.

Me: [insert expletive here]

JR: Sorry dude. If you want a car, the Plaid would be a guaranteed car within the next 30 days.

Me: …

Find out what happens next time on!….

Lost: Tesla Edition
Unfreakingbelievable

Alright, I’ve been blessed with an update. This may come as a shock to some of you and to the well seasoned Tesla owners, it will not be surprising.

Disclaimer: This is in regards to Long Range orders, I am not sure if this applies to Plaid orders.

After seeing people get assigned VINs for Long Range, I figured that they started producing (obviously, otherwise no VIN) the Long Ranges and I am not too far behind the line…

I called my inside man who answered in one word sentences after telling me he cannot speak at length to what’s going on. Here is the conversation.

Me: It’s not random and there’s no order… are early reservation holders being prioritised?

Me (frustrated): You’re saying that if I place a LR order right now, with regular wheels I might get assigned this week?

JR: Possibly. But unlikely. There is no system to how these LR VINs are being assigned.

JR: There is no system in place. Cars are being assigned not by region, or config. The only thing that’s true for is the Plaid. All of those are being matched as soon as they come off the line. I don’t expect any major changes after EOQ. Things will most likely slow down so a proper system can be implemented. For now it’s as you said.

JR: Sorry dude. If you want a car, the Plaid would be a guaranteed car within the next 30 days.

"JR: Sorry dude. If you want a car, the Plaid would be a guaranteed car within the next 30 days."
*unless you order CF
*unless you order Red, maybe
*unless you ordered 19" wheels, maybe
*unless other opaque things

I wish put

Sigh...for such an advance engineering company they truly leave alot to be desired on the logistics front

I have ordered the Arachnids (just because the Tempest look aweful) but will need to swamp wheels in winter as I live in the DC area. I was planning on buying 19” or 20” wheels with all season tires for winter. I was checking to see if any of you have suggestions on where to get the wheels swapped? Should I go to a Tesla store or will the local Tire store (Tire Plus, etc.) also work?

Anyone in Florids take delivery yet? Our SC in Ft Myers saying “should have temporary tags tomorrow or Saturday and hoping they work”

im supposed to be taking delivery Sunday morning in Orlando. They told me the registrations are coming Saturday. They didn’t mention anything about “hoping they work”. What is that supposed to mean?

I don't get it - it can't literally be not random but without order. The definition of without order is random (or chaos), the definition of order is planned. So its' either planned or its random.. so I guess what he is saying is that it's random, but trying to make it sound a lot cooler.

How do we know if this individual is not anymore in the dark than the rest of the Tesla employee's?

I have ordered the Arachnids (just because the Tempest look aweful) but will need to swamp wheels in winter as I live in the DC area. I was planning on buying 19” or 20” wheels with all season tires for winter. I was checking to see if any of you have suggestions on where to get the wheels swapped? Should I go to a Tesla store or will the local Tire store (Tire Plus, etc.) also work?
You might find that Tesla won't swop wheels that you haven't bought from them, but I'm not sure about this, best to reach out to your local SC. When I got my Model 3 I actually used the company who were doing my ceramic coating and tinting, as they had a high end touchless machine to put the tires on my new rims. The place I used deal with a lot of exotics, so I knew I could trust them not to trash my new rims. Wheels are actually really easy to swop yourself come winter. Just get a low profile jack, a puck (which inserts to one of 4 holes where you can safely jack the car) and a decent torque wrench. It's probably about an hours work to change all 4 wheels.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
a june order? lol this really is a complete joke. Happy for you thought

I don't get it - it can't literally be not random but without order. The definition of without order is random (or chaos), the definition of order is planned. So its' either planned or its random.. so I guess what he is saying is that it's random, but trying to make it sound a lot cooler.
Except we know it's not random. There is a certain specification you can order and get your car in the next couple of week or have VIN assigned before eoq. If you get black or MSM as exterior + black/cream interior with Arachnids 21" - you're definitely getting your car or VIN assigned in a matter of days. There's a clear pattern here. There's nothing random here at all. It also seems like this SA didn't know anything extra ordinary compared to what we already know. All of this is a bunch of bullshit!

Except we know it's not random. There is a certain specification you can order and get your car in the next couple of week or have VIN assigned before eoq. If you get black or MSM as exterior + black/cream interior with Arachnids 21" - you're definitely getting your car or VIN assigned in a matter of days. There's a clear pattern here. There's nothing random here at all. It also seems like this SA didn't know anything extra ordinary compared to what we already know. All of this is a bunch of bullshit!
Well it's not "random" as in carefully random, they're not randomizing what they build, but it sounds like they're just building stuff and willy-nilly trying to match it.

Well supposedly he was talking about LR only...what I thought Sam's dude was saying was LR related *sugar*.

Yeah it sounds like they are building LR models willy nilly - so Tesla LOL

My read of his cagey responses was more along the lines of "they basically aren't building any new LR vehicles at all right now".

Reactions: EndlessPlaid

If this were true, could we argue that we should have data to support it? So far, we've seen pre-refresh and January LR's get vins.. we haven't seen one February yet. What are the chances those are all outside of TMC?