Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think there is a pretty logical reason for this. While revenue and profit margin numbers certainly seem like the most important variable, the Tesla S has become inconsequential. Therefore, Tesla will live and die based on 3/Y delivery numbers. Exceeding analysts expectations on 3/Y deliveries, at this point, seems more important than delivering a handful of Model S cars. Tesla hasn’t delivered a S/X this year until recently, and the market doesn’t seem to care.
Hopefully with the refresh, the S becomes consequential again 😁

AFAIK, the only known differences at this point are:

• Three high performance motors with carbon-sleeved rotors (1020 hp) vs 2 without carbon (670 hp)
  • Ventilated side bolsters on Plaid vs Ventilated seats on LR without the side bolsters
  • Contrast piping on Plaid seats
  • Black painted calipers on Edit (Both cars)
  • Carbon fiber rear trunk spoiler on Plaid
I don’t think there are any other discernible differences, which is surprising. The LR is now pretty much a Performance car and comes standard with many features that were previously only included on P cars. This includes alcantara headliner, aluminum performance pedals, Insane performance mode and drag strip mode. The LR car is now an unquestionable bargain.
I think one they are trying to do is create more differentiation between the Model S-LR and the 3P--both preventing folks moving from an LR to a 3P ("they both do 0-60 in 3.1") and upsell folks from the 3P to the Model S-LR.

I didn't realize this. I asked specifically if this would change my reservation number and the SA said no. He knew what my concern was, but didn't bother to mention this would change my order date. Apparently my order date changed from 25 April to 23 June when I changed the rims. I'm pretty angry right now.

Why? It doesn’t matter at all.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
AFAIK, the only known differences at this point are:

• Three high performance motors with carbon-sleeved rotors (1020 hp) vs 2 without carbon (670 hp)
  • Ventilated side bolsters on Plaid vs Ventilated seats on LR without the side bolsters
  • Contrast piping on Plaid seats
  • Black painted calipers on Edit (Both cars)
  • Carbon fiber rear trunk spoiler on Plaid
I don’t think there are any other discernible differences, which is surprising. The LR is now pretty much a Performance car and comes standard with many features that were previously only included on P cars. This includes alcantara headliner, aluminum performance pedals, Insane performance mode and drag strip mode. The LR car is now an unquestionable bargain.
Also the Torque vectoring which I know nothing about so not sure if it’s a big deal.

Good news: Took delivery yesterday! Bad news: Problem with sound system (some kind of short).

They had to call Freemont and talk to an engineer, couldn't figure it out. Waiting on Monday for a phone call to see what's up.

I did get to drive it about 20 miles ... freaking awesome ... fit and finish was really good ... interior is much nicer in person ... pics don't do it justice ...

Compared to the 2020 Raven, it has noticeably more power and the bigger tires hook up really fast ... handles really well ...

Good news: Took delivery yesterday! Bad news: Problem with sound system (some kind of short).

They had to call Freemont and talk to an engineer, couldn't figure it out. Waiting on Monday for a phone call to see what's up.

I did get to drive it about 20 miles ... freaking awesome ... fit and finish was really good ... interior is much nicer in person ... pics don't do it justice ...

Compared to the 2020 Raven, it has noticeably more power and the bigger tires hook up really fast ... handles really well ...
Congrats! I hope the sound system issue is resolved ASAP.

What’s your car configuration?

I think the RN number matters, not the order date. The order date in the order agreement updates when you make most any change, but it doesn’t seem to matter so long as your RN stays the same.
I hope this is true, as I changed my wheels today and did not notice until it was mentioned here that my order date changed from March 8 to today.

When a change is made, the date the change was made is what matters. The RN number becomes irrelevant.

This does not appear to be true at all. When I changed my wheel selection my order date changed to 6/26 and I got a VIN the same day. There’s no way someone ordering an LR yesterday would be getting delivery in 3 days.

When a change is made, the date the change was made is what matters. The RN number becomes irrelevant.
This is not what I was told by 3 different SA's at 3 different showrooms. I specifically asked this because I ordered in October and my order agreement shows 3/1/21. They are saying your orginal order date is what matters most. After the refresh was announced I had to wait until Tesla's computer updated me in the system which was 3/1. They could not do it manually. But then again I do not have a car and ordered before almost anyone in this forum. So if they are going by that date in your order ageement, then I am extra upset.

The only difference that matters is 0-60 and associated tools to get there - so three motors, torque vectoring and I think that’s it. All else is really minor and, to 99% of the population, not discernible. Which, for me, is totally fine. Now, give me that crazy spoiler and I would pay even more!!
It's certainly a personal choice to go for the highest performance vs not. For example, in the Porsche world a Carrera 4S is essentially a Turbo S Chassis and wide body. The only real difference is the Turbo's engine and resultant horsepower. A Carrara 4s Lists for $125k and a Turbo S for $205k. A difference of $80k. The Turbo S comes with a few things standard like better brakes, etc., which you could add to a Carrera 4S, but the difference in price for the engine alone would still be more than $60k.
Remember, with the Plaid it isn't just one more motor. It's 3 high performance motors which are each completely different motors than the two lower performance motors in the LR.

You may have been in the right place at the right time. Could be several reasons it worked out so well in your case.

There are a bunch of examples of this, plus many statements from Tesla people that the order date changing doesn’t matter. Why are you insisting on a claim that goes against all the available evidence?

This is not what I was told by 3 different SA's at 3 different showrooms. I specifically asked this because I ordered in October and my order agreement shows 3/1/21. They are saying your orginal order date is what matters most. After the refresh was announced I had to wait until Tesla's computer updated me in the system which was 3/1. They could not do it manually. But then again I do not have a car and ordered before almost anyone in this forum. So if they are going by that date in your order ageement, then I am extra upset.
Lol seems like the 3 SA may have been wrong. If you ordered in Oct, and your order agreement shows 03/01, then 03/01 is the order date in their system.

There are a bunch of examples of this, plus many statements from Tesla people that the order date changing doesn’t matter. Why are you insisting on a claim that goes against all the available evidence?
If you go back several pages, you’ll see there are a bunch of examples that support both sides. I was able to speak to 2 people in Fremont that confirmed it matters.
And that’s why I’m still with 19” wheels.

You’re just stuck in 19” wheel purgatory. With your original order date, I bet if you changed to 21s you’d get a VIN very quickly. If you don’t, you’ll probably be one of the first when they start delivering those.

If you go back several pages, you’ll see there are a bunch of examples that support both sides. I was able to speak to 2 people in Fremont that confirmed it matters.

They may be doing something different for the S than they do with their normal policy around changes, because of the long delays, lack of information, and changes they’ve made (e.g. wheel colors, range statements). But for the S orders it doesn’t seem to matter.