Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The industry will never truly catch up to Tesla, because they don't innovate. They have all been safely making all their products similar to reduce consumer choice and hedge their bets that everything being close to a competitor is safe.

Now they are trying to copy Tesla out of necessity, and that is not innovation. So they may end up copying what Tesla is doing now, but they are entrenched in decades of churning out the same incremental crap year after year, so good luck leaping ahead of Tesla. They will do just enough to give customers an option other than Tesla, and that is where they will stop.

This post is awesome, and I could not agree any more. In fact I see this same exact thing in other industries. Even worse, in some critical industries, I do not see an Elon Musk type pushing innovation.

This post is awesome, and I could not agree any more. In fact I see this same exact thing in other industries. Even worse, in some critical industries, I do not see an Elon Musk type pushing innovation.
Up until Jobs died, this same thing was happening with everyone trying to catch the iPhone, iPad, iTunes, etc.

I don’t disagree with you. Big learning curve for those big companies. Even the current MB ice vehicles have clunky user interfaces for their ICE cars.
but the one thing that will help MB is that they have great customer service and always have nice loaners available to their customers. They will pick up your car that need service and drop the loaner off to you. If you want to wait they usually have great waiting areas. My last MB service centrer had food, shoe shine area, pool table and a computer at Every station that you would wait at. Always seemed like a pleasure to deal with them.
When I had my BMW’s my family commented how nice the service waiting area was compared to the waiting area for my daughters Kia(sofa and vending machine). In hindsight I have to admit I was in the BMW service area several times a year(once to replace a $130 turbo oil feed pipe that was $2500 labor). I suppose it had better be nice. My daughters Kia? Once in 8 years for a warranty fix that they gave us a loaner for. Do I enjoy driving the Kia, absolutely not. But I am impressed by their durability and features for a $25,000 car(and it has ventilated seats)

I remember when Elon mentioned that GM had had the same management for 35 years, each year their market share went down and their profit margin, usually loss, got worse. And yet they still have the same management. I just don't see them innovating at all. Ford is only marginally better. What used to be Chrysler is lost in a morass of companies from europe. Some Japanese maybe some chinese, who knows maybe some Indian companies will make it, and a few more startups here. But I think the old big three is winding down. Ford being maybe the only one with a chance to stay a top-tier company.

When I had my BMW’s my family commented how nice the service waiting area was compared to the waiting area for my daughters Kia(sofa and vending machine). In hindsight I have to admit I was in the BMW service area several times a year(once to replace a $130 turbo oil feed pipe that was $2500 labor). I suppose it had better be nice. My daughters Kia? Once in 8 years for a warranty fix that they gave us a loaner for. Do I enjoy driving the Kia, absolutely not. But I am impressed by their durability and features for a $25,000 car(and it has ventilated seats)
Funny b/c I had one BMW (335i coupe) and traded it in for a MB C63 AMG…no comparison. MB just builds higher quality, more reliable, and overall better cars with even better service (although admittedly I didn’t really have any problems with my AMG in > 93k mi) so I wasn’t at the dealer much. Porsche is similar.

I'm sorry but I really am baffled by all you folks who contact your SA, "call Freemont" or email/text whomever at Tesla to change your refresh MS order (whether a Plaid or LR) just to possibly (b/c it's not even guaranteed you'll take delivery any sooner anyhow AND even if you did...) get your car a little earlier. I mean so many of us have been waiting several months for the car to arrive and be delivered to us, I just don't think it's worth changing CF to Wood interior trim or changing your wheels or changing your car's exterior color to get a $100k - $156k vehicle in a configuration that was NOT your 1st choice. My opinion here but it's odd to me that people feel they cannot wait another few weeks. 🤔

For me, I'm staying with EXACTLY what I ordered on 2/5/21. 😎
I feel frustrated for you guys/gals who ordered last year or early this year who still don’t have your cars. There have been a number of May/June orders that have been delivered. It just ain’t fair.

I feel frustrated for you guys/gals who ordered last year or early this year who still don’t have your cars. There have been a number of May/June orders that have been delivered. It just ain’t fair.
The same thing happened with the model 3 and likely will too with the Cybertruck.

But the good news for those that ordered early, you saved money. You just may not get your cars first. By the end of the summer when you do have your vehicles, will you wish you had the cars sooner or saved 10-12k?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! o_O o_O o_O 😜 😜 😜 😜 Respect to the MS Plaid. Got to wonder what the "tuned" Hellcat guys were thinking when they got WALKED (on rolls, not even from a launch) by the silent Tesla MS Plaid?!?! 🤔😎😜
Lol It’s not a secret anymore why it’s called plaid. Those who challenge know they’re going to lose.
I haven’t seen a plaid in person yet so I’d be happy to get smoked by one while I’m patiently waiting 😬.

The question always will be - where will Tesla be then? Do you go through hell to get a superior product or do you settle and have a better customer service experience.
I think even Tesla realizes they can’t out manufacturer the competition indefinitely—and possibly not for another 5 year cycle either.

I think this is why their innovation has shifted to being one step ahead on the $25K entry level EV and FSD. They’re still the only company willing to let you use their driver assistance tech to such a variety of scenarios.

I worry that Toyota will beat Tesla when it comes to economy EVs and that Intel/Mobileye will beat Tesla on the FSD front, over time. So…that leaves the super charging network? That took ten years to build, do you think others won’t be able to catch up in less time when they have existing solutions to emulate?

I couldn’t be more excited for the Plaid. But, I am equally excited about what Lucid is doing and thinking of the range of the updated 2022 e-tron GT and the level of luxury MB is going to bring to the table.

All this competition is great for us! But, Tesla is either going to be the defacto leader like an Apple, or an innovator that woke a sleeping giant like AMD.

I think even Tesla realizes they can’t out manufacturer the competition indefinitely—and possibly not for another 5 year cycle either.

I think this is why their innovation has shifted to being one step ahead on the $25K entry level EV and FSD. They’re still the only company willing to let you use their driver assistance tech to such a variety of scenarios.

I worry that Toyota will beat Tesla when it comes to economy EVs and that Intel/Mobileye will beat Tesla on the FSD front, over time. So…that leaves the super charging network? That took ten years to build, do you think others won’t be able to catch up in less time when they have existing solutions to emulate?

I couldn’t be more excited for the Plaid. But, I am equally excited about what Lucid is doing and thinking of the range of the updated 2022 e-tron GT and the level of luxury MB is going to bring to the table.

All this competition is great for us! But, Tesla is either going to be the defacto leader like an Apple, or an innovator that woke a sleeping giant like AMD.
I think once Elon passes the reigns to a cookie cutter CEO, most likely when he dies, then we will see Tesla lose their innovation advantage. He's a risk taker. The next one will most likely just try to maximize shareholder profits by playing it safe.

We have a bit of bickering in Vancouver over escooters and ebikes (who doesn't) because of effortless speed that is unearned by muscle or experience. Too quiet & easy to get fast. With an ICE above 150mph you know you're doing something wicked. I've only done 125mph in a 944 and whatever 185 km/h is in a Toyota SUV on the Autobahn for four minutes. That was enough, the wheel was not happy. Point is Plaid looks so easy, risk free.
Yup and I hope that most plaid owners drive their plaid’s responsibly. If driving on a totally open road with no cars around, then okay fine. However, some of these drag races on public roads, at 160mph with other cars around is a bit too much. Reviewers have already said the brakes are the weakest link. People need to chill a little.

Up until Jobs died, this same thing was happening with everyone trying to catch the iPhone, iPad, iTunes, etc.

I do not like Apple or their products and likely never will, but it was truly pathetic watching Microsoft copy them but be two steps behind for 15 years or so. Teslas don't even have the most advanced tech in some regards. They are still on 400v architecture at best. Even Kia and Hyundai are rolling out 800v architecture cars that can charge much faster over the next 6 months.

I have high expectations for the 4680s, which I think will be late, but could be game changing.

I do not think Elon will be CEO of Tesla much longer, potentially 3-5 years. His dream is the Mars thing. I bet around 2025 he gives up Tesla and focuses solely on SpaceX and does that until they have a successful Mars mission.

Is anyone except for me wondering if the performance of the LR’s is such that Tesla is trying to push out as many Plaids as it can before people can make side-by-side comparisons before deciding whether the difference is worth $50K?
I think this exactly. Starting from a red light where you don't have time to warm up the batteries and put the Plaid in cheetah mode, I think the difference will be less than half a second to 60.

Very informative thread. Haven't been on in years. I have been too busy driving my 2014 P85 with 107,000 miles. I still giggle every mile I drive and was like most of you reserving the Plaid+. I waited a several days before I placed the plaid order and June has gone away and delivery is now blank. Thanks for all the comments as it has made me more excited to continuously check the order page and look for updates. Being 70 makes me yearn for more CHROME but with some of the comments here, just maybe I will like the chrome out option. I had my polished wheels months before the P85 since I waited almost 6 months for it. Picking it up, it was surrounded with cars with the first version of autopilot. My vin was 49903 so just missed it .. but didn't miss it at all. Thanks again for all the comments and updates.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014 P85 - White | Fabric | Piano |
2021 MS PLAID - Pearl White exterior | White/White/Carbon Fiber interior | 21" Arachnid Wheels | FSD

Attachments

• 2014 P85.jpg
    2014 P85.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 66
Hard to believe anyone is pining for GM’s offerings
Not everyone likes the same thing, I don’t like Fords but I don’t give Ford owners a bad time. I really doubt I can talk my wife out of getting another Chevy Bolt. She had a Spark and then a Bolt (just ended it’s lease). 6 years 0 issues(which negates the advantage of 4 dealers/services within 15 miles). Even I have to admit her car was far easier to maneuver in the city and park. She is a little mean at time when we are washing the cars and she points out the flaws in my Model S paint and I could not find any on her 3x less expensive car. The new Bolt is out the door at $30k and that’s with no federal tax credit. I went to college but I can’t frame a good argument for her going with a model Y given the price difference. 0-60 in 6 seconds is plenty fast enough for her(honestly for almost everyone in normal traffic)