Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But that is what I am saying, Tesla does not do financing. There is nothing that flows through Tesla. They are farming you out to a lender. You will still have to go through BOA.
Tesla approves within a few minutes, but to @cwanja s point, its farmed out - could be US Bank, BOA... Going directly with BOA will take longer to process. I got a much better rate 1.9 vs 2.49. Caveat here. Tesla locks in for 90 days. So I was told. BOA is only 30 (+3 days buffer). So for me it's mute on BOA until I get a firm delivery date?

We all wanted that car from battery day. I ordered same day you did. Since it’s no longer possible, the regular plaid will work just fine for me. Those of us that ordered in late 2020 have 2 choices:
1. Wait a year or two and hope the plus eventually comes out
2. Go with regular plaid now and upgrade later when (and if) the plus is available.
This was a no brainer for me. I chose 2 👍
I also made a Plaid + order on battery day. Of course, it was just a Plaid at that point and then morphed into the plus. I was really excited about the battery architecture and extended range.

You listed only two options, but I chose option:

3. Purchase a LR Model S for the extended range, increased efficiency and reduced cost with likely less depreciation. When the + version we were all waiting for becomes a reality in some form, I will trade in the LR

Not to nitpick and at the risk of going off topic, this is not a “period” situation, plenty of examples of mass produced cars appreciating (especially instantly) upon release/delivery. Many. Your general statement is right, but it’s not a blanket statement, dont want people who may not know better taking it as such. As far as the Plaid….time will tell, but I agree, probably minimal up front benefit and only in the beginning (IE take delivery now, someone will pay $10k over to not wait) but nothing extreme, thats my prediction.
The new C8 Corvette presently has instant equity. Many have bought for MSRP and turned around and sold for more. Been that way for the last 2 years.

Tesla approves within a few minutes, but to @cwanja s point, its farmed out - could be US Bank, BOA... Going directly with BOA will take longer to process. I got a much better rate 1.9 vs 2.49. Caveat here. Tesla locks in for 90 days. So I was told. BOA is only 30 (+3 days buffer). So for me it's mute on BOA until I get a firm delivery date?
I applied directly on tesla's website to speed up the process. Now, I will start shopping around for lower rates/credit unions. Once I find a lower rate, I will send the approval to [email protected] or [email protected]
Just received a reply from them and they confirmed that I should be able to get a rate match if I find something lower.

I also made a Plaid + order on battery day. Of course, it was just a Plaid at that point and then morphed into the plus. I was really excited about the battery architecture and extended range.

You listed only two options, but I chose option:

3. Purchase a LR Model S for the extended range, increased efficiency and reduced cost with likely less depreciation. When the + version we were all waiting for becomes a reality in some form, I will trade in the LR
Your 3rd option is probably the most sensible choice but I’m still for option 2 🤩

Tesla 90 days is a lie. At least one Tesla person also told me that. I have just been through trying to re-up within 90 days and they said the best they could get me was 2.5 now, had 1.94 before.

I tried getting financed for my plaid I don’t have the best credit but I was putting 60% and they turned me down …. I’m still in shocked by that

Model S/X after 2019 Raven are really very different than pre-raven. I personally sat in 2017 Model S and thought it was a freaking joke for people to pay literally twice the money to get a subpar product. I had a P3D and loved it. However, I test drove a 2020 model S and saw the difference was night and day especially on long drives. I was making 500 miles round trip every weekend last year and model 3 performance gave me ringing in my ear and headache after driving it for a month. That's when I considered taking a test drive in model s and my mind was blown. Air suspension is definitely helpful and makes long drives extremely comfortable. Not to mention the 2020 model s was definitely quieter than my 2019 model 3 too. I am not a 6'2" person but my friend who is 6'5" drove my Model S for a 300 mile road trip and loved it and found it to be comfortable compared to his model 3.

I have one of the "freaking joke" cars and I disagree completely with your bad take. Not only is a P3D not even comparable to an S for a plethora of reasons here are just a sample of the things my joke of a car comes with that the latest Teslas DON'T.

I've driven a 2019 and 2020 S and couldn't fathom paying $$$ to upgrade. Same with this iteration. I went with an X because there isn't enough daylight between my S and the newest ones. A bit more range but I lose so much:

1. Real leather (everywhere). Its pretty sweet and has aged really nicely (it keeps getting better actually).

2. Recaro made next-gen v2 seats (still better than any in-house Tesla seat).

3. Alcantara everywhere (no plastic or cloth). Even off-white alcantara headliner that I have isn't offered at all. Combined with the all glass roof, the light headliner is expansive. The material is awesome and looks new 4.5 years later even after mango pouch explosions, etc (kid hauler). Seriously like new and wipes clean with water and some dawn if needed. Mud just wipes out. Can vacuum the dash since it is mostly alcatara.

4. Spring suspension -- I know some people consider it a downgrade but I had the choice to go air and opted for spring. I will say that the latest suspension seems nice and I'm looking forward to it with my LR X but nothing compares to springs.

5. Customizability -- back in the day the S was way more customizable. My wife and I got EXACTLY the car we wanted without paying a dime more for stuff we didn't value. The only option I wish we got was the rear facing seats but I am continually building up the courage to retrofit that myself (sourcing parts is the biggest issue but my service center is willing to either do it for me or source me the parts now). With an X on order, I don't have to bother but it is an awesome feature for older S cars.

6. Free everything. I can't stress how cool it is not to pay for supercharging or premium data. It might not financially be a big savings (though I do rack up miles and $10/mo adds up for data (still, ~$400 after the free first year isn't moving the needle with $90k in).

7. FSD. I've got the same AP hardware and entitled to upgrades to make FSD work. So no matter what that aspect of my car will match the latest ones and that's unique to have acquired for a 4.5 year old vehicle.

There definitely are a LOT of things that have improved (we do get wind noise at highway speed but our car has no rattles or anything, HVAC is acceptable but I believe that is much improved now, and a heat pump would be greatly appreciated) but like deciding between LR v. plaid, my cost benefit hasn't tipped with a "freaking joke" car versus the (apparently) only finally acceptable S being delivered now.

I think your knowledge of the older S cars probably is limited. I wish I could've gotten the yacht floor instead of a center console. That was classy and was dropped before I ordered. I wish they'd bring that option back again but I think the rear HVAC tunnel is in there now.