Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have one of the "freaking joke" cars and I disagree completely with your bad take. Not only is a P3D not even comparable to an S for a plethora of reasons here are just a sample of the things my joke of a car comes with that the latest Teslas DON'T.

I've driven a 2019 and 2020 S and couldn't fathom paying $$$ to upgrade. Same with this iteration. I went with an X because there isn't enough daylight between my S and the newest ones. A bit more range but I lose so much:

1. Real leather (everywhere). Its pretty sweet and has aged really nicely (it keeps getting better actually).

2. Recaro made next-gen v2 seats (still better than any in-house Tesla seat).

3. Alcantara everywhere (no plastic or cloth). Even off-white alcantara headliner that I have isn't offered at all. Combined with the all glass roof, the light headliner is expansive. The material is awesome and looks new 4.5 years later even after mango pouch explosions, etc (kid hauler). Seriously like new and wipes clean with water and some dawn if needed. Mud just wipes out. Can vacuum the dash since it is mostly alcatara.

6. Free everything. I can't stress how cool it is not to pay for supercharging or premium data. It might not financially be a big savings (though I do rack up miles and $10/mo adds up for data (still, ~$400 after the free first year isn't moving the needle with $90k in).
Have to concur with the above. I take the car for granted now and forget about all the above features that are not on the latest S

I tried getting financed for my plaid I don’t have the best credit but I was putting 60% and they turned me down …. I’m still in shocked by that
Since a car loan is a secured loan, it shouldn’t be a problem to find one especially putting down 60%. The loan won’t be through Tesla, but who cares. Search online... you’ll be good.

Good morning everyone

It's been 173 days since i placed my order and still, nothing. Others who ordered after me have gotten vins. It's ok. Everything is ok. I'm fine. I'm fine. I'm ok. I'm fine.

*Smile emoji*
You're in South Florida. We will be the last on the SouthEast delivery list always. Why? I'm informed that all SouthEast US cars come by rail to Birmingham, then by truck to destination. When there is a major push or new demand cars go first to the delivery points closest to Birmingham. I took delivery of my P85D from Atlanta for that reason.

Orlando is receiving Plaids, as are other Florida locations easier by truck than is Broward and Miami-Dade, maybe even WPB might even come earlier than us. The easier solution might be to ask if delivery in North Florida might help.

I have one of the "freaking joke" cars and I disagree completely with your bad take. Not only is a P3D not even comparable to an S for a plethora of reasons here are just a sample of the things my joke of a car comes with that the latest Teslas DON'T.

I've driven a 2019 and 2020 S and couldn't fathom paying $$$ to upgrade. Same with this iteration. I went with an X because there isn't enough daylight between my S and the newest ones. A bit more range but I lose so much:

1. Real leather (everywhere). Its pretty sweet and has aged really nicely (it keeps getting better actually).

2. Recaro made next-gen v2 seats (still better than any in-house Tesla seat).

3. Alcantara everywhere (no plastic or cloth). Even off-white alcantara headliner that I have isn't offered at all. Combined with the all glass roof, the light headliner is expansive. The material is awesome and looks new 4.5 years later even after mango pouch explosions, etc (kid hauler). Seriously like new and wipes clean with water and some dawn if needed. Mud just wipes out. Can vacuum the dash since it is mostly alcatara.

4. Spring suspension -- I know some people consider it a downgrade but I had the choice to go air and opted for spring. I will say that the latest suspension seems nice and I'm looking forward to it with my LR X but nothing compares to springs.

5. Customizability -- back in the day the S was way more customizable. My wife and I got EXACTLY the car we wanted without paying a dime more for stuff we didn't value. The only option I wish we got was the rear facing seats but I am continually building up the courage to retrofit that myself (sourcing parts is the biggest issue but my service center is willing to either do it for me or source me the parts now). With an X on order, I don't have to bother but it is an awesome feature for older S cars.

6. Free everything. I can't stress how cool it is not to pay for supercharging or premium data. It might not financially be a big savings (though I do rack up miles and $10/mo adds up for data (still, ~$400 after the free first year isn't moving the needle with $90k in).

7. FSD. I've got the same AP hardware and entitled to upgrades to make FSD work. So no matter what that aspect of my car will match the latest ones and that's unique to have acquired for a 4.5 year old vehicle.

There definitely are a LOT of things that have improved (we do get wind noise at highway speed but our car has no rattles or anything, HVAC is acceptable but I believe that is much improved now, and a heat pump would be greatly appreciated) but like deciding between LR v. plaid, my cost benefit hasn't tipped with a "freaking joke" car versus the (apparently) only finally acceptable S being delivered now.

I think your knowledge of the older S cars probably is limited. I wish I could've gotten the yacht floor instead of a center console. That was classy and was dropped before I ordered. I wish they'd bring that option back again but I think the rear HVAC tunnel is in there now.
Selling my 2016 P100D back in March was such a bad decision.... 2 days later... delays etc.. I’ve been driving ice ever since and I’m not a happy camper. Just wish I kept my P100D until I had the plaid. Also wish I ordered with 21s and I wouldn’t be complaining right now hah

The new C8 Corvette presently has instant equity. Many have bought for MSRP and turned around and sold for more. Been that way for the last 2 years.

This is a temporary market condition based on the fact that there are very, very few new cars available to buy. The entire market is up. Anything new or anything decent that is used is holding value stronger than ever. Couple that with the fact that the Corvette is desirable and the situation is what we have now.

But in 3 years, a used C8 Z51 is going to be worth probably 65% of MSRP.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Well I was told my car was to be delivered Sunday. Cancelled. Told it would come yesterday. Cancelled. Have an appointment dormir to be delivered today at 2:01. I know in my heart this will be cancelled. As of 5:30 yesterday I was told the car is not even on the truck leaving freemont yet.

these past few days have been more disappointing than the previous 6 months. I am really uptight right now. And everyone I speak with at Tesla has a different bs story to tell me.

I’ll post the interior when I have some time. They kept it indoors so I could inspect without it being in the rain.

also: if anyone in Chicagoland wants a Model S Plaid/Blue/Cream/21” wheels immediately, they have one and are looking for a buyer in the next two days.

edit: it is in the Naperville store.

Attachments

• 5A6BDADA-F4DE-4D54-8065-248C17A083E0.jpeg
    5A6BDADA-F4DE-4D54-8065-248C17A083E0.jpeg
    513.8 KB · Views: 95
There is no equity / appreciation in any mass produced car. Period.
Note only the 64 1/2 Mustang but also late 1970's BMW 3-Series, and quite a few others that have had temporary shortages. I even sold a 1977 Honda Accord for more than I paid when there was a six-month waiting list where I was at the time. I suppose you'll not think a Morgan Plus 8 as mass produced. I made a mint on that one, partly because it was the original Earl's Court exhibition car.

Generally mass produced cars do not appreciate nor even have minimal depreciation.

Even there one has the 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance. After tax benefit and a local-specific discount (quite unusual, and probably unrepeatable, I admit) I had $52,545 in the car. MY trade in was $46,900. That made a net depreciation of $5645 in three years.Then there is the reduced sales tax on my new Plaid of $3283. So I end out having a $2,362 cost for three years of use. It had free supercharging too, so it is hard to beat this deal.

So, It is unusual to have minimal loss or profit on mass produced cars, but it happens.

In the spirit of full disclosure it did not work out that was when I moved from a P85D.to the P3D.

Still, Never say No...Period. Absolutes usually don't survive scrutiny too well.

Well I was told my car was to be delivered Sunday. Cancelled. Told it would come yesterday. Cancelled. Have an appointment dormir to be delivered today at 2:01. I know in my heart this will be cancelled. As of 5:30 yesterday I was told the car is not even on the truck leaving freemont yet.

these past few days have been more disappointing than the previous 6 months. I am really uptight right now. And everyone I speak with at Tesla has a different bs story to tell me.
Thats really sad to hear! I think this kinda wait is worse than what we have been through. You know it will get delivered anytime and yet it keeps getting pushed further. I hope you get it soon!