Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone remember the original Ses where the stalks were in the wrong place? Anyone?

I occasionally get loaners with 85s or 60 pre-AP and pre-parking sensors. That's where I learned how amazing yacht floors could be and how little Tesla has modified the IC for those cars (and how quickly you can be abandoned by Tesla but how that might not be a bad thing).

For all the pre-2014 owners, I wish Tesla left the OS at v7. V8 was the best OS GUI for me. v9 was the beginning of the end for the vertical screen....

Thank you so much for the write up. Sounds like the car keeps pulling hard after 60MPH, which is an absolute joy to hear. Looking forward to other LR owners provide their feedback about that as well.

As for the audio, perhaps when your AV guy starts to tear it apart, you can take some early photos of the stock subwoofer enclosure and the OEM subwoofer itself. Some folks have complained already that it isn't boomy like the 3 and Y.
People always complain about lack of bass, in the case of the fresher model S, its the higher end of range as well. B&O is a good audio engineering company but they are what Bose used to be. They spend more on marketing then they do on R & D. There are some smaller lesser known company‘s that blow them away. With regards to pictures, if you‘re looking for idea’s his website shows prior jobs he has done. He is a true artist at what he does, I did a lot of research on this subject. His name is Matt Schaeffer at Musaicdesign.com. I am also going to have him install an Laser/Radar stealth system. Basically decided in my head, because I bought the LR as opposed to the Plaid, I needed to go spend the difference on PPF, Audio and Laser/Radar stuff.

First thoughts of Tesla MS LR after an hour of driving.

Cosmetics:
Exterior - the car is really beautiful and well build. Truly impressed with the design, although the changes are subtle, they are impactful and the car just looks tougher than it did.

Wheels - I don’t love the color of the Arachnid wheels. They are pretty rugged looking but I think I am going to powder coat them. I have a black exterior and the look of the wheels on the car that Elon drove on the stage with are what I am looking for. Looked like some kind of a chrome to black sunburst.

Interior - simply awesome, simplistic and classy. I was nervous about the cream interior but now I feel very good about my choice. The screen is beautiful, fluid and incredibly functional. I have never owned a Tesla and its very intuitive. The only think I need to figure out is auto pilot/FSD.

Audio System - for a stock unit, its powerful and clear. Issue is the frequency range. A solid signal processor from the factory head unit to some improved amplification equipment a Focal 10” sub and Focal Utopia 3 way speakers in the front and we can make this work. Will use a high end DAC as the source. There is a great AV pro that has done amazing work on Tesla’s in the past that I will be bringing my car to in a couple of months.

Yoke Steering Wheel - Before taking delivery, I read lots of mixed reviews. To be honest, the Yoke is going to take some getting used to. A lot of the complaints I have read are about the signal controls, I actually think those will be easy in a day or two. But the actual Yoke itself is different and feels different. My 19 YO son came with me. As soon as we got on the highway, the combination of the acceleration and the yoke, I got a bit nervous. I am sure after a week it will be fine but like many others have said, it takes some getting used to.

LR Acceleration - Now I think I might be afraid of the Plaid and glad I didn’t order it. No offense to those Plaid owners out there but the LR is really plenty. I hit the accelerator hard a whole bunch of times and force is insane. I have been in and driven some powerful cars but this was different. You just feel the pull of the car and its not just to 60, it felt and quick and smooth to about 105 is where I took my foot off. It will be a lot more fun when I get more comfortable with the yoke and feel that I have solid control over the car.

Handling - Doesn’t make any sense to me how this car handles the way it does. I am coming from a BMW M4 Convertible which handled great, the Tesla is night and day better in tight turns and higher speeds. I’m a finance guy, not a physics guy and this just doesn’t make and sense how Tesla was able to make this happen.

Delivery Experience - Almost as great as the car. Quick and easy and my advisor Dylan Karlok (if you take delivery at Mt. Kisco, ask for him)was as good as you can possibly be. Me and my son were sitting up front, he jumped in the back and gave us a really simple to follow tutorial and set us up completely. He is also a big Tesla fanboy, very much into the company and truly knows a lot about the company and the cars themselves. Once we had the car all figured out, I had to sign and initial a few registration forms and off we went.

For those of you suffering in anticipation, its worth the agony. It’s not perfect but its exceeded my extremely lofty expectations. Hope you all take delivery soon.
Emiller,
Thanks to you and to all the others that post reviews. It really helps to reinforce how Tesla is performing on delivery and quality.

Special thanks for comments on the LR's acceleration early on and at the higher ranges. Just put in an order for my wife's replacement and appreciate hearing confirmation of the LR's capabilities.

As for handling, there are a couple of things going on with Teslas. I noticed the first on my first test drive of a P85 in 2012. I was going around a reasonably quick sweeper and asked the sales rep if he minded if I checked how the car rotated. He said no problem so I lifted abruptly at about 80 mph to see how the car reacted. It was well behaved because the roll center is very low if not even below the centerline of the wheel. The mass of the car tends to push the tire contact patch in shear (sideways) instead of trying to peal the inside edge up and roll the tire over.

The cars have steadily improved since that first test drive with reduced compliance in the a-arms and uprights (going to hard ball style joints instead of rubber annulus bushings) and ever evolving damping and spring rates. Tesla seems to be getting good at this suspension stuff and is working from a great starting point that the M engineers do not have.

Congrats on the new car!!!

Not sure I believe that they have actually delivered any 19” variants yet. Pictures from someone….ANYONE….or it didn’t happen 🤷🏻‍♂️
It didn't happen. I don't think a single 19" was delivered. Pathetic! What a dick move by Tesla. If we 19" customers had caved in to 21" wheels, most of us would've had our cars except for CF lovers lol

Thank you so much for the write up. Sounds like the car keeps pulling hard after 60MPH, which is an absolute joy to hear. Looking forward to other LR owners provide their feedback about that as well.

As for the audio, perhaps when your AV guy starts to tear it apart, you can take some early photos of the stock subwoofer enclosure and the OEM subwoofer itself. Some folks have complained already that it isn't boomy like the 3 and Y.
The more reviews I read about great acceleration on LR, the worst I feel for ordering Plaid especially after the kind of treatment we're getting from Tesla. Literally place the order right now or call your local SC and if you don't wand a specific color for exterior or interior you'll get the car either tonight or tomorrow by midnight, you just have to get arachnids. What a load of *sugar*! **** Tesla for doing this crap. LR is definitely a more worthy product than the Plaid.

I see why most of us were seeing June delivery dates. It's because our configurations were manufactured for sure but these ****ers just pushed on 21" inch wheels on all deliverable cars. So if your account said June 26-30, it means you had a car ready but you got that CF or 19" wheels so Tesla said **** you, slapped 21" wheels on your config and gave it to someone else to increase their margin and eoq deliveries. What a load of *sugar* this is. People ordering and getting a car within a week when there are people here waiting for litrellay 8 or more months at this point 🤬🤬🤬

Ok, picked up my MS LR today, haven’t driven it as much as I would have liked as needed to turn my attention to the motherland beating Germany in the Euros (great day, new car and an England win). That said, I absolutely love it. Looks so much better in the flesh. Finish, from what I could tell, was excellent. Was nervous about the yoke but for no reason, 99% of the time it’s just great, the other 1% it’s fine, give it a few days and it will just feel normal. Now this is my first Tesla so I can’t compare to others but I will say this, the LR feels like a rocket ship, 100% happy and totally worth the wait. Can’t even imagine what the Plaid is like although happy to use the difference to fund the Y. As I left the dealership the SA said make sure to really launch it, I did and it flew all the way to a very ‘healthy speed‘ with no obvious let up at all. Thanks to Elon and the Tesla team for delivering the most amazing car I have ever driven (and I have a couple of ok ones). For all here thanks for the great banter, it’s been fun. For those with cars, congrats. For those waiting, it will be worth It. For what’s its worth Blank ended up being a good status for me. I have a dragy coming, I’ll try and get some numbers later this week or at the weekend. Happy to answer any questions but think a lot have been answered by more educated Tesla owners than me.

First thoughts of Tesla MS LR after an hour of driving.

Cosmetics:
Exterior - the car is really beautiful and well build. Truly impressed with the design, although the changes are subtle, they are impactful and the car just looks tougher than it did.

Wheels - I don’t love the color of the Arachnid wheels. They are pretty rugged looking but I think I am going to powder coat them. I have a black exterior and the look of the wheels on the car that Elon drove on the stage with are what I am looking for. Looked like some kind of a chrome to black sunburst.

Interior - simply awesome, simplistic and classy. I was nervous about the cream interior but now I feel very good about my choice. The screen is beautiful, fluid and incredibly functional. I have never owned a Tesla and its very intuitive. The only think I need to figure out is auto pilot/FSD.

Audio System - for a stock unit, its powerful and clear. Issue is the frequency range. A solid signal processor from the factory head unit to some improved amplification equipment a Focal 10” sub and Focal Utopia 3 way speakers in the front and we can make this work. Will use a high end DAC as the source. There is a great AV pro that has done amazing work on Tesla’s in the past that I will be bringing my car to in a couple of months.

Yoke Steering Wheel - Before taking delivery, I read lots of mixed reviews. To be honest, the Yoke is going to take some getting used to. A lot of the complaints I have read are about the signal controls, I actually think those will be easy in a day or two. But the actual Yoke itself is different and feels different. My 19 YO son came with me. As soon as we got on the highway, the combination of the acceleration and the yoke, I got a bit nervous. I am sure after a week it will be fine but like many others have said, it takes some getting used to.

LR Acceleration - Now I think I might be afraid of the Plaid and glad I didn’t order it. No offense to those Plaid owners out there but the LR is really plenty. I hit the accelerator hard a whole bunch of times and force is insane. I have been in and driven some powerful cars but this was different. You just feel the pull of the car and its not just to 60, it felt and quick and smooth to about 105 is where I took my foot off. It will be a lot more fun when I get more comfortable with the yoke and feel that I have solid control over the car.

Handling - Doesn’t make any sense to me how this car handles the way it does. I am coming from a BMW M4 Convertible which handled great, the Tesla is night and day better in tight turns and higher speeds. I’m a finance guy, not a physics guy and this just doesn’t make and sense how Tesla was able to make this happen.

Delivery Experience - Almost as great as the car. Quick and easy and my advisor Dylan Karlok (if you take delivery at Mt. Kisco, ask for him)was as good as you can possibly be. Me and my son were sitting up front, he jumped in the back and gave us a really simple to follow tutorial and set us up completely. He is also a big Tesla fanboy, very much into the company and truly knows a lot about the company and the cars themselves. Once we had the car all figured out, I had to sign and initial a few registration forms and off we went.

For those of you suffering in anticipation, its worth the agony. It’s not perfect but its exceeded my extremely lofty expectations. Hope you all take delivery soon.
taking my delivery there tomorrow

you can request when you get there ?

If, I am not mistaken I did check the tires it comes with they are only rated up to 186 mph or 184mph so Motor Trend may be wrong.
They are actually (Y) rated, which according to the manual from page 213, means:

Speed rating. When stated, indicates the maximum speed (in mph) at which the tire can be used for extended periods. Q=99 mph (160 km/h), R=106 mph (170 km/h), S=112 mph (180 km/h), T=118 mph (190 km/h), U=124 mph (200 km/h), H=130 mph (210 km/h), V=149 mph (240 km/h), W=168 mph (270 km/h), Y=186 mph (300 km/h), (Y)=vehicle's top speed (exceeds the "Y" rating).