Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah. Also if you look at their price break down, Plaid package costs $55,000 while Model S itself costs $65,000. This is before the recent price increase.

Attachments

• C7E9D6C4-2923-430B-AC53-40801D8B8F7B.jpeg
    C7E9D6C4-2923-430B-AC53-40801D8B8F7B.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 82
Also cheap electric costs are usually not in the areas with a median income of $100,000 (people that can afford a $900/month Tesla car payment) lol

$10k from $40-50k mark up… 1/4 or 1/5, therefore a fraction of the cost. I get the R&D, I’ll discuss my opinion on that later.

No doubt about it, until one day there will be competition.

Not arguing the subjective low/high prices, it was more along the lines of that we support them as a company and support their R&D, and should probably have some sort of a break when they screw up the rims and can’t deliver the cars we ordered. Face it, $40-50k mark up is quite a lot for the minimal extra that you get with Plaid, the least you can do is comp the 21in rims to make it right with the people that support your projects/product.

No doubt about it, but the fact that we support their R&D, as mentioned before, should not result in a big middle finger in communication and/or a price increase when we try to upgrade our wheels to 21s.

I think I’ve covered it all above lol. Just feel like it’s a slap in the face when you’re willing to commit to a company because of their “great product”, support their R&D with the hefty price mark up for a certain car model, and you get treated like some shmuck who doesn’t even matter. It works for them now, but people will remember this when someone else comes out with a solid competition product and better customer service.

Sure there are people who order the car and could care less about when it comes because it’s just a tool to them, but then there’s also a solid fan base who truly love their cars, because face it, if we didn’t, we would not be in this thread on this forum lol

Wonder how many Nissan Leafs that take like 8 hours to charge due to their air cooled batteries you’ll find taking up stalls 🤔

Wonder how many Nissan Leafs that take like 8 hours to charge due to their air cooled batteries you’ll find taking up stalls 🤔
I was wondering the same thing, but when you think about it, it's actually kinda simple:
1) Go crazy with idle/charge fees. Maybe allow for like 50 minutes of charge only pricing, to cover older Teslas, and then go to the standard rate of idle fees/up the charging price to $1/min. Then maybe jack it up to $10 or $30/min 10 minutes after that.

2) Charge whatever you want for the CCS to Tesla connector adapter, and do some special lockout thing to block out knock-off replicas.

3) Another idea I saw in a video, was to lock out superchargers from non EV-only manufactures. This way, you don't have the Chevy Bolts, Nissan Leaf, VW I.D 4, and Mach E drivers clogging up stalls. Additionally, as the video pointed out, this would help start-ups like Aptera, Lucid, and Rivian get off the ground, and clear some of the buyer worry from the charging network. Another benefit to this rule would be preventing big-automakers from getting lazy, and not developing their own charging networks. These concepts would probably massively help mitigate clogging.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drew-MS and Ramphex
Going to be interesting to see how that plays out. Hopefully it doesn’t create a congestion of all the other EVs trying to use all the superchargers leaving the Tesla owners sitting, waiting in lines.

This is a bad take. There are only so many EVs.

In 8 years of EV ownership I've only waited once to charge. Just before the total eclipse in rural Illinois at a supercharger. We waited 1.5 hours just to charge and charged only 25 minutes because otherwise we'd miss the eclipse. We got there with time to spare but it was stressful waiting (and using more juice).

Now cars charge faster, the network is 3x larger and there are many private networks. Even states are getting into the mix and the VW funding is still being put to use.

Tesla wants ALL EVs to exist and thrive. They aren't going to screw over anyone but they also need to get paid. I'm sure they'll be reasonable or cheaper than other charging networks.
Yes they do, but they also want the entire industry to transition to EVs ASAP. So locking ICE making manufactures out the Supercharger Network, and literally dangling that carrot right in front of them might be a good their move in their opinion.

Reactions: JimLL and croman
This is a bad take. There are only so many EVs.

In 8 years of EV ownership I've only waited once to charge. Just before the total eclipse in rural Illinois at a supercharger. We waited 1.5 hours just to charge and charged only 25 minutes because otherwise we'd miss the eclipse. We got there with time to spare but it was stressful waiting (and using more juice).

Now cars charge faster, the network is 3x larger and there are many private networks. Even states are getting into the mix and the VW funding is still being put to use.
Agreed 100%. However, that isn't going to stop Chevy Bolt owners, of which there are a lot of because GM has lost their tax credit, from trying to charge at a Supercharger for 3 hours at their rather horrific 70kw charging rate.

Yes they do, but they also want the entire industry to transition to EVs ASAP. So locking ICE making manufactures out the Supercharger Network, and literally dangling that carrot right in front of them might be a good their move in their opinion.

Sure I think they've been doing that and now have some sort of understanding in place. I think with how v3 supercharger decouples cars from each neighbor, it's less concerning seeing congested stations as one open stall still gives sufficient charge.

• Love
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Agreed 100%. However, that isn't going to stop Chevy Bolt owners, of which there are a lot of because GM has lost their tax credit, from trying to charge at a Supercharger for 3 hours at their rather horrific 70kw charging rate.

Lol they'll pay a lot and likely visit other chargers. Most superchargers facilitate interstate travel. Bolts can't do that.

• Funny
Reactions: EndlessPlaid

Hmmm I have mixed feelings about this 🤷‍♂️

Sure I think they've been doing that and now have some sort of understanding in place. I think with how v3 supercharger decouples cars from each neighbor, it's less concerning seeing congested stations as one open stall still gives sufficient charge.
That is absolutely better. But still, something will have to be worked out. It will be interesting to see what Tesla does in this situation.

One of the stipulations Elon laid out way back when he first floated the idea was that cars could charge fast enough to not clog up the Superchargers, so, probably no Leafs allowed. :)