Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a small note, cars are not built in vin order. So they might have built a bunch in a batch of red for example with a certain vin range and then another color is another vin range. However, 433 is a bit lower on the new refresh. But remember LR are also coming off that line. Could have been a bunch of those inbetween. My vin is 435 range and I got my vin on the 13th Of July where as @dgs174 got a vin in the same range and took delivery in June.
They aren’t built in VIN sequence? I’m trying to wrap my head around how that makes sense from a manufacturing perspective.

Kinda have to agree with you there. $85k+ car with hub caps. 😔
Not quite guys--it's the longest range EV in the world, and a major part of that is aerodynamic drag is minimized to make that happen.

Wheels are critical to that outcome as the tops of the tires/wheels are at road speed X 2 in the opposite direction; they generate a lot of aero drag.

Wheel covers mitigate that drag.

Tesla is NOT being cheap--there are four full, attractive, and expensive alloys behind those wheel covers . . . .

1. I had PPF on the entire front end with ceramic on the whole car on my last Model X. I decided to PPF the whole car this time with the Plaid, and will also be applying ceramic over the PPF. It makes the car so much easier to wash and maintain. And the PPF really helps to reduce rock chips, scratches, and small dings, especially if you plan on keeping the car a few years.
  2. Tint percentage is all personal preference and what you are trying to achieve (look, sun/heat blocking, privacy, if you are worried about tickets). I chose to go with 20% rear, 30% fronts, and 55% windshield with the Plaid, as I wanted to stick with the blacked out theme, but didn't want to attract to much police attention. Even though I do prefer the same percentage all around, but that would mean having to go with a lighter tint all around. You should look through other people's photos of different percentage tints on different colored exterior/interiors, and then make your own decision.
  3. For PPF I've used Xpel Ultimate for my last few cars and it has been great, but I've also see cars with SunTek and looks great too. SunTek also came out with the "Reaction" line which is supposed to have ceramic built in. Tint depends on budget and how much heat rejection you want, in my opinion, you can't go wrong with any of the major manufacturers (Xpel, 3M, SunTek, Llumar, Madico, etc.).
  4. I contacted a bunch of shops around OC and have a list of prices if anyone is interested, can PM me.
Here's my car with full car Xpel Ultimate PPF, with Xpel Prime XR Plus tint (55% windshield, 30% fronts, 20% rears):

View attachment 687829

View attachment 687831

View attachment 687832
Looks great! We have almost the same tint config except that I have 70% on the windshield. I was planning to go 55% as well but some members here talked me out of it. Hows the visibility at night?

I’m actually starting to come around. The thousands part of the VIN must allow for things like color, trim packages, etc to be extrapolated from the VIN.
Actually not much can be determined from your VIN. Manufacturer, model, Body type, motor.

Attachments

• 56F49FA4-223C-4A02-94AD-8201AC6F3EFE.jpeg
    56F49FA4-223C-4A02-94AD-8201AC6F3EFE.jpeg
    219.8 KB · Views: 75
They aren’t built in VIN sequence? I’m trying to wrap my head around how that makes sense from a manufacturing perspective.
No they aren’t, from my knowledge none are done that way, as some vins can depict trim levels and such which the car behind it might not have it. But I think it’s the nature of manufacturing stuff. I do know it’s batched.

Another confirmation that the delivery hold is gone. Just picked up my girl. I too will post off topic comments on appropriate threads but thank most everyone here for being the great support group you are.

As most everyone else says, hang in there. If you are like me and come from an older PD, this car is not like the previous cars; I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

Thank you!

And Tesla came through at the very end :)
Congrats Bill!! So happy for you.
“Tesla came through” = no upcharge for the arachnids then? ;)

Not sure if this has been posted yet... these kids kinda wierd me out.. but heres:

Plaid vs a Modded 720S and 488 Pista.. Its actually quite entertaining

Knowing how fast modified 720s are, the Plaid just blew my mind even more.. Just the little acceleration at 3:35 is shocking, Races start at 4:50

Scary that these kids are out there doing this sh-t!

Another confirmation that the delivery hold is gone. Just picked up my girl. I too will post off topic comments on appropriate threads but thank most everyone here for being the great support group you are.

As most everyone else says, hang in there. If you are like me and come from an older PD, this car is not like the previous cars; I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

Thank you!

Did they "come" through like $4.5k came through??

Thank you!

Congrats!
Don’t forget, pics or it didn’t happen:)

If they’re not built in sequence, I can imagine say, the next 30 vins are assigned to the next 30 frames, but then maybe they diverge based on plaid vs. LR, exterior color, and interior specs. Maybe they then stay I a temporary waiting area up until that batch is ready. For example, if they run low on red paint, next car May then be the next batch of paint color, and then the next red batch might be 8 days later or whatever.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid