Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I don't know if I'll have the funds for a second set of rims and tires before the temp drops below 40. I may have to park it for about 4 months, and then get some winter tires for the next year.
In a perfect world, I'd like to buy the 19s or something comparable and slap Blizzaks on them and use the 21's in the summer or sell them for different 20's or 21's.

Hey…as we all went from blank to getting our cars in the next couple months (with winter coming), what are ppf plans if at all? Front full package? Front half hood? Full car? Ppf and ceramic? Ceramic instead and only? Commando? Not asking to compare prices. I get the prices range all over the country from some k’s to lots of k’s.
Just asking for ppf plans is all, if any, to stay on topic point. If you’re planning on nothing, no need to pontificate why. Thanks. I keep wavering on nothing to full front and am thinking now full car for swirls, scratches etc. I don’t think it adds for resale. I’m getting black, plan on keeping for 10 years and am thinking going full, no ceramic or adding ceramic another time as it’s 1/8th the cost and serves a different purpose, and a discussion with my shop about bolstering rockers and splash guard areas now if possible while having them tint the windows too.
Here‘s an interesting video.

Last edited:
Hey…as we all went from blank to getting our cars in the next couple months, what are ppf plans if at all? Front full package? Front half hood? Full car? Ppf and ceramic? Commando? Not asking to compare prices. I get the prices range all over the country from some k’s to lots of k’s.
Just asking for ppf plans is all, if any, to stay on topic point. Thanks. I keep wavering. I don’t think it adds for resale. I’m getting black, plan on keeping for 10 years and am thinking going full, no ceramic, and a discussion with my shop about bolstering rockers and splash guard areas if possible while having them tint the windows too.
I'm getting full PPF done. I already scheduled for end of the month. I'm getting Matte black Llumar platinum.

Hey…as we all went from blank to getting our cars in the next couple months, what are ppf plans if at all? Front full package? Front half hood? Full car? Ppf and ceramic? Commando? Not asking to compare prices. I get the prices range all over the country from some k’s to lots of k’s.
Just asking for ppf plans is all, if any, to stay on topic point. Thanks
My own plan is to ceramic coat (5-year warranty) with CeramicPro, window tint of course (it's a must, imho for sunny, hot S FL), and possibly ppf a few sections - only the front fascia/lip spoiler and perhaps the 2 rear 1/4 panels behind the rear doors, although I'm really hoping there's some no-drill/no modification/easy install mud flaps/splash guards available soon...already emailed Abstract Ocean & RPM Tesla, but no eta yet from either. I'm also going to somehow black out (possibly have the detailing shop just wrap or Hyper-dip them?) the front & rear Tesla & PLAID emblems...no need for the chrome anywhere on the car. I know others are doing the entire car in ppf but I would just rather do the ceramic coat as I'm not sure ppf'ing the entire car is really necessary + I've heard some horror stories if they don't do it properly and possible yellowing after spending a lot of $$ on that.

My own plan is to ceramic coat (5-year warranty) with CeramicPro, window tint of course (it's a must, imho for sunny, hot S FL), and possibly ppf a few sections - only the front fascia/lip spoiler and perhaps the 2 rear 1/4 panels behind the rear doors, although I'm really hoping there's some no-drill/no modification/easy install mud flaps/splash guards available soon...already emailed Abstract Ocean & RPM Tesla, but no eta yet from either. I'm also going to somehow black out (possibly have the detailing shop just wrap or Hyper-dip them?) the front & rear Tesla & PLAID emblems...no need for the chrome anywhere on the car. I know others are doing the entire car in ppf but I would just rather do the ceramic coat as I'm not sure ppf'ng the entire car is really necessary + I've heard some horror stories if they don't do it properly and possible yellowing after spending a lot of $$ on that.
Thanks. I didn’t want to go on and on but almost added the emblems. I want to darken the T‘s too. I think the yellowing is old days an expel type companies solved for that…they say.

I did full PPF, ceramic everywhere, interior and exterior. Those who are thinking of either or should know that they are COMPLETELY different products with COMPLETELY different purposes. This isn't an either/or that anyone should be making, really, unless it comes down to a financial decision (which is perfectly reasonable).

Ceramic does nothing to protect your car from paint chips. If just makes cleaning the car, and keeping the car clean easier. ZERO protection from chips. Please don't think a ceramic covered car is somehow protected.

I did full PPF, ceramic everywhere, interior and exterior. Those who are thinking of either or should know that they are COMPLETELY different products with COMPLETELY different purposes. This isn't an either/or that anyone should be making, really, unless it comes down to a financial decision (which is perfectly reasonable).

Ceramic does nothing to protect your car from paint chips. If just makes cleaning the car, and keeping the car clean easier. ZERO protection from chips. Please don't think a ceramic covered car is somehow protected.
Understood. Quick question re: what you did with your car...how did you black out the Tesla and PLAID emblems? Wrap or Hyper-Dip or something else? Also -- seems like yours are matte black (similar to the matte cf rear spoiler)...do you think matte black is the way to go or if you could do them over, would you do them in glossy black to match all the glossy black trim everywhere? Asking for specifics for my white ext Plaid, knowing that I'm getting the Signature SV104 wheels in Brushed Black Triple Tinted. Thank you!!!

Reactions: impastu
Just asking for ppf plans is all, if any, to stay on topic point. If you’re planning on nothing, no need to pontificate why. Thanks. I keep wavering on nothing to full front and am thinking now full car for swirls, scratches etc. I don’t think it adds for resale. I’m getting black, plan on keeping for 10 years and am thinking going full, no ceramic, and a discussion with my shop about bolstering rockers and splash guard areas if possible while having them tint the windows too.
Definitely adding PPF. Haven't decided whether I'm doing a full PPF or, just all high-impact areas. Going with XPEL Ultimate Plus. Plan to ceramic or graphene coat PPF. Same shop is going to tint with XPEL Prime XR, unless I determine it's worth using Prime XR Plus.

Who did your PPF (shop) and what brand?

Definitely adding PPF. Haven't decided whether I'm doing a full PPF or, just all high-impact areas. Going with XPEL Ultimate Plus. Plan to ceramic or graphene coat PPF. Same shop is going to tint with XPEL Prime XR, unless I determine it's worth using Prime XR Plus.
I’m with ya. Thanks for some tips on brand names. I’ll check em out. The challenge is timing, scheduling with busy shops and our changing edd’s while not having the car banged up for the ppf. Now I’m looking into the shops prepping and correction steps and added costs if any if needed. I hate this car! 🤣

I’m with ya. Thanks for some tips on brand names. I’ll check em out. The challenge is timing, scheduling with busy shops and our changing edd’s while not having the car banged up for the ppf. Now I’m looking into the shops prepping and correction steps and added costs if any if needed. I hate this car! 🤣
Remember paint correction isn't necessary if you're adding PPF. I definitely hear you about the car, though. 😂

Just met up with @jebinc . Got to see the 19s on a delivered car. Fun to compare notes (like how bad the distortion is through the rear glass near the bottom - awful!).

Still, sweet cars. A pair of Plaids? A bevy of Plaids? A plethora of Plaids? A murder of Plaids?

We'll have to compare ride quality etc next time we meet up!
Now you're just rubbing our faces in it...

Good looking cars.

Hey…as we all went from blank to getting our cars in the next couple months (with winter coming), what are ppf plans if at all? Front full package? Front half hood? Full car? Ppf and ceramic? Ceramic instead and only? Commando? Not asking to compare prices. I get the prices range all over the country from some k’s to lots of k’s.
Just asking for ppf plans is all, if any, to stay on topic point. If you’re planning on nothing, no need to pontificate why. Thanks. I keep wavering on nothing to full front and am thinking now full car for swirls, scratches etc. I don’t think it adds for resale. I’m getting black, plan on keeping for 10 years and am thinking going full, no ceramic or adding ceramic another time as it’s 1/8th the cost and serves a different purpose, and a discussion with my shop about bolstering rockers and splash guard areas now if possible while having them tint the windows too.
I’ve never had a car before that deserved any type of special treatment, but like you I’m planning to keep car for 10 years most likely. I am planning to do PPF and ceramic coat-ceramic pro silver+. I had originally planned to just do full front PPF, but after reading how there are no flaps and the chips we’ve seen on others cars, I’m really thinking about full PPF.

The place I plan to use has recommended a PPF with ceramic coat embedded in the urethane. Not sure if I should then also do ceramic on top or just stay with the PPF. Any thoughts?

I also plan to tint windows-Llumar F1 Pinnacle, 33%. And black out badges.

I got all 10 windows tinted (Llumar AIR 80 for windshield and IRX 30 everywhere else) and full body PPF (XPEL Ultimate Plus) on my 2021 LR+ and loved it. I'll be doing it again on my Plaid. I like the consistent look of full body coverage and the protection from side scrapes and scratches. My delivery is this week and I'll drive the car for a day or two and then take it in for PPF and tint.

If legal in your area I recommend windshield tint as well. It does not need to reduce vision because it is almost clear but it will help a lot with the heat due to IR and UV blocking.

Understood. Quick question re: what you did with your car...how did you black out the Tesla and PLAID emblems? Wrap or Hyper-Dip or something else? Also -- seems like yours are matte black (similar to the matte cf rear spoiler)...do you think matte black is the way to go or if you could do them over, would you do them in glossy black to match all the glossy black trim everywhere? Asking for specifics for my white ext Plaid, knowing that I'm getting the Signature SV104 wheels in Brushed Black Triple Tinted. Thank you!!!

Emblems were all painted, not wrapped or dipped. Neither of those are as durable as a real paint job. I chose matte black because I wanted it to be a bit different from the materials around it...contrast, albeit slight. Very happy with the decision in retrospect. Gloss would have been too much. I might feel differently about that on a white car though...

Who did your PPF (shop) and what brand?

Kustom Koatingz in Voorhees, NJ. In the end, I think they used lumar, or luminar, or something like that? Ultimately, the installer matters 80% and the material matters 20%. My installer had access to all of the brands and chose the one he did based on his experience with using them all. I trust him completely. The stuff they used DOES seem clearer and more glossy than the suntek which was on my M3P.

I’ve never had a car before that deserved any type of special treatment, but like you I’m planning to keep car for 10 years most likely. I am planning to do PPF and ceramic coat-ceramic pro silver+. I had originally planned to just do full front PPF, but after reading how there are no flaps and the chips we’ve seen on others cars, I’m really thinking about full PPF.

The place I plan to use has recommended a PPF with ceramic coat embedded in the urethane. Not sure if I should then also do ceramic on top or just stay with the PPF. Any thoughts?

I also plan to tint windows-Llumar F1 Pinnacle, 33%. And black out badges.

This will be our 5th Tesla and will also be the 5th time to do full PPF. 3 of our last 4 also had ceramic coating and I didn’t do that to our 2019 Raven Refresh S.

Sold it pretty quick but we will certainly do both to our Refresh S.

Ceramic coating is definitely worthwhile but 2nd to PPF.

Winter tires can be purchased from a Tesla service center or may be available for purchase on the Tesla web site.

(210) MODEL S Owner's Manual
I've kept a separate set of 19" wheels with winter M+S tires for my 2015 S since I definitely need winter tires in the Sierras. I just switch them spring and fall. I plan to keep them and put them on my new S.
Should work fine.