Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else having app and software issues? Picked my plaid up last Wednesday. Alert says "navigation unavailable - service required'. Car in the app just keep spinning since I picked it up, saying last seen x days (day of delivery). They tried to force a remote firmware and it didn't work. I can't properly control the car from my phone (charging, sentry, etc). I tried a Tesla reboot (scroll buttons and brake), removing and reinstalling app and phone. Apparently some firmware updates not being applied, though there is no software update available button in the car. I'll go over to the troubleshooting thread, but just wondering if this is a common issue.

Anyone else having app and software issues? Picked my plaid up last Wednesday. Alert says "navigation unavailable - service required'. Car in the app just keep spinning since I picked it up, saying last seen x days (day of delivery). They tried to force a remote firmware and it didn't work. I can't properly control the car from my phone (charging, sentry, etc). I tried a Tesla reboot (scroll buttons and brake), removing and reinstalling app and phone. Apparently some firmware updates not being applied, though there is no software update available button in the car. I'll go over to the troubleshooting thread, but just wondering if this is a common issue.
Common? No. Make a service Appt and they can push an update to your car remotely.

@NaughtyGarfiel

Here’s a picture of mine. I have a very slight wave.

425ED7A6-89D4-4451-A894-CB9342C5166E.jpeg

I did that. They said it failed. Then nothing further from them since. Not looking forward to waiting 1 month for a service visit which is probably what I will hear next.
In the past, I have taken them pistachio muffins (sprout). I also got some harry and David fruit baskets delivered… I never have service issues. Ever!

Re: 3rd Quarter Numbers:

If you guys only follow one Tesla related YouTube channel, make it Rob Mauer's "Tesla Daily."

Here's a link to get you started:

You're welcome. :D
Agree--this is a worthwhile follow. One data point, waaaaaaaay back when, when I did my first post where after picking up my car, he pretty much read that verbatim in one of his updates. A lot of "influencers" would have taken my content and passed it off as their own and I was impressed by his ethics in being up front that on his source.

One more question about PPF—did someone already post photos of their freshly applied replacement PPF product on the rear door/wheel after mileage? This is my car at 1500 miles and recently detailed. Honestly, for me, the sandblasted/rock chipped OEM PPF looks crappier than the chips on the paint. Is it just because it’s black and shows up more? Btw the highest rock chip is about 8” from my door handle. Need mudflaps.
and that..your photo..is what I meant by nicks in PPF. Most will remain visible. The "self healing" is great for light scratches/swirls. But for stone chips, well, the pics speak for itself..

I plan to install some form of mudflap on the front of my S as soon as its delivered. I recently installed a set of $19 versions from Ebay on my wifes Y, and the fit and finish seems like its OEM. While I didnt have any chipping on her Y (with the 20" upgrade wheels) got tired of the splashed dirt streaks along the lower side of the doors from when she'd drive into some sort of puddle on the passenger side on her way to work. The front flaps solved the issue 90% and they actually look OEM

Last edited:
Now I am scared as multiple people have said the crease is not normal and I was worried about body work as well.. Now would I be able to return the vehicle now that's more than 24 hours, but less than 100 miles?

Can you or someone take a photo for the rear trunk so I can compare the welded area? Thanks in advance!

That's great to hear, was thinking of taking the car for service.. but I think I am going to find out about my rear trunk crease first and see if I can possibly return the vehicle.

I am afraid some type of bodywork, however the crease are on both sides.. If it's bodywork then it might mean something big has happened that both sides are creased.

Now my concern is, am I able to return the vehicle if it's less than 100 miles and more than 24 hours.

I don't think returns are possible, but you really should place a service request for all issues within 24 hrs...

That's very nice! My crease is slightly below where you took the photos. I guess it depends on the robots that was welding at the time?

TL:DR;
You are fine if keep the hatch closed and don't look at it😉

So try not to bore you, but the waves in the metal of the Quarter Panel will actually stiffen the long and thin attaching flange.

Because of tolerance build up and spring back of the mating parts, the gap was forced closed by the welder, allowing the metal between the welds to buckle out of the mating plane.

Sometimes, buckles are intentionally place in a curved flange, to provide stress relief.

Pic of my 2015 build if that helps...

Attachments

• 16331970944864204664421065569197.jpg
    16331970944864204664421065569197.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 50

So try not to bore you, but the waves in the metal of the Quarter Panel will actually stiffen the long and thin attaching flange.

Because of tolerance build up and spring back of the mating parts, the gap was forced closed by the welder, allowing the metal between the welds to buckle out of the mating plane.

Sometimes, buckles are intentionally place in a curved flange, to provide stress relief.

Was going to mention this looks very familiar for the Model S body structure, and just looks unchanged. Some manufacturers often throw a piece of trim or plastic over spot weld points that would be visible, just isn't the case here.

I can show you some trunk/fender spot welds on Toyotas that are visible and very smooth...

Thank you so much for your reassurance and detail explanation. I feel very relieved and I really appreciate you and other forum members help throughout.. Now I am a happy camper and excited that I took the delivery now instead of end of year or early next year. :D