Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
7F3A0812-C4D5-4675-AB77-A8333B07E417.gif

Originally, the trim options were fixed: the Plaid came with CF and the LR came with wood. When they were having the CF supply chain issues, they opened up the wood as an option for Plaid order, apparently so they could get deliveries moving. Seems that is no longer concern, so back to the original options.
I find it really strange, and found it strange originally, when it was how you mentioned. I prefer the wood to carbon…I only like carbon when it’s actually serving a purpose other than looks. Structural carbon I love, functional carbon is good, but decorative carbon is not my thing.

I guess I got lucky to have a Plaid with wood.

Yeah, don't use Armor All.

My experience with our X is not use thing that leave stuff behind for protection, shine, etc., so using the same regimen with the new S. Try simple water with clean microfiber cloths for everyday clearing. For something a little stronger, I have had good luck with Griot's Garage Interior Cleaner (spray on MF, wipe the panel).
Water wipes. Go to the baby section in target.

Has anyone considered or installed ceramic coating for interiors?

This forum ain't what it used to be
I find myself visiting less and less since it was invaded by a bunch of puerile newbies.
Yeah, I just got my First Edition Bronco today so I’m going to hang out over there and see if they are as on point, logical, friendly, nonjudgmental, understanding, unbiased, and supportive as this Model S ordering thread. I suspect it just won’t be the same.

With my delivery date within a couple of weeks now I'm starting to get nervous about the ground clearance when coming into my driveway. Sometimes my old Acura RSX would scrape. Sends a shiver down my spine thinking of hearing that sound in a brand new Model S. Has this been an issue for anyone's Model S? Hopefully the adjustability of the air suspension provides enough clearance--just have to pray I never forget to set it.

With my delivery date within a couple of weeks now I'm starting to get nervous about the ground clearance when coming into my driveway. Sometimes my old Acura RSX would scrape. Sends a shiver down my spine thinking of hearing that sound in a brand new Model S. Has this been an issue for anyone's Model S? Hopefully the adjustability of the air suspension provides enough clearance--just have to pray I never forget to set it.
The car can be told where to raise the suspension and will do so every time.

Set it to auto raise at the location. Use the highest setting. We’ve got a lot of funky driveway entrances here in LA and if the car is in the highest setting it never scrapes.

Also you can hear the compressor and there’s a notification when it’s raising. So you have warning if you pay attention if it bugs out and misses the location, which really doesn’t seem to happen.

You can save it to always adjust the settings at specific locations. When I approach my driveway, it automatically reaches max height just before the driveway, and a notification pops up to tell me it has done so. Then right before I reach the garage, the mirrors fold in.

The first time you adjust it, a pop up will allow you to save the setting. Just make sure you save it for any location that needs it.

You can save it to always adjust the settings at specific locations. When I approach my driveway, it automatically reaches max height just before the driveway, and a notification pops up to tell me it has done so. Then right before I reach the garage, the mirrors fold in.

The first time you adjust it, a pop up will allow you to save the setting. Just make sure you save it for any location that needs it.
That’s exactly what I plan to do, if I’m not senile by the time I get it. I also expect/suspect I’ll be so jazzed I forget to do it the first time and scrape the crap out of it. I may have to put that into a checklist or some sort of reminder…for months or longer from now….

I also found there are points on my drive where the suspension senses a bumps and speed combination that has the suspension raising. I've taken to lowering it each time and after a half dozen times it seems to have learned. It no longer wants to raise the car at one particular location even though the input of going over the rail road tracks is exactly the same.

It's only one data point. Anyone else seeing this?

I also found there are points on my drive where the suspension senses a bumps and speed combination that has the suspension raising. I've taken to lowering it each time and after a half dozen times it seems to have learned. It no longer wants to raise the car at one particular location even though the input of going over the rail road tracks is exactly the same.

It's only one data point. Anyone else seeing this?
Yeah I think it learns for initial drive selection. When I first got my car it kept selecting forward when I left work, even though that drives into a median. Now it consistently chooses reverse.

I checked my EDD this morning, and have no changes. I suspect that it won’t jump around until I’m closer to delivery.
I was thinking about this. Despite the monkeying around, I THINK Tesla's engineers do TRY to give somewhat accurate info based on the info at hand (stop laughing! ) - so, if there's a VIN and the car is damaged in transport or via testing, I can see the VIN disappearing. Otherwise, I am guessing they are giving EDDs either as pure placeholders ("far out in the future") or based on expected logistics, i.e. a batch of white seats is coming in by freight on such and such a date, and then target X units to be produced of the other colors before the batch of white seats, or blue paint, or whatever goes into production for that cycle.
so, unless something massive changed logistically (ship couldn't leave port, items weren't up to spec, etc.) I'd imagine the EDDs would pretty much stay the same for future production until there is a massive "recalibration" of the logistics.
At least that's what I'm telling myself.
So, for the massive white seat EDD pushbacks, that would make sense to me - a container or materials couldn't get in within the expected time.
for the 19" wheels, I think unbeknownst to anyone, it was the lack of tires (i was sure it was defective rims or coverings)
For the white seats, who knows, maybe it's special thread in white that holds the "vegan leather" together. or the white production or bleaching is missing chemicals.
I guess once there are certain updates, they run the database through and update en masse, versus maybe nightly or close to real time for specific individual vehicles that started production.

VIN musing - I wonder when the VIN for a car is actually assigned - is it a little badge that gets stamped by the dash, and then laser engraving everywhere else - and does that START when the car is going through production, or can the stamped VINs be stored someplace - like the Tesla vault?
Anyway, if there are a gazillion (like a giga) bunch of pressed panels, could that start a VIN, i.e. a VIN could be attached to that particular piece, and then when the car is sent through the line the rest of the pieces get the VIN lasered?
That MIGHT explain why we don't have 2022/N VINs yet - maybe they're using up all the old shells that may have been preproduced and sitting around the lot per the prior flyovers.
Of course, I think the gigapress was really only for model 3 rears, so that theory may fall to crap, unless those skeletons were for the S and maybe X and just sitting around, WITH VINs. But I doubt it.
All this waiting has turned my mind to mush. I'm blathering more than usual!