Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m actually looking forward to the little horn button. As a polite Canadian driver, it was often a struggle to find just the right pressure to do a quick little honk with the regular horn. ;) It should be easier with the horn button, I imagine. Hopefully with some practice, it will become second nature in emergency situations, though unlearning 25 years of muscle memory will take some work.

Well this is significant!!! Tesla is listening!!

Something tells me its not due to listening to customers (Tesla typically doesnt). Something tells me its more of some sort of communication between NHTSA or IIS or some agency..encouraging..Tesla to do it...

I called it months ago..removing ability to honk horn via airbag was assinine. ZERO upside. As in NONE. But elon likes to assign the label of "evolutionary" to any change made, even changes that make zero sense at all.

I’m actually looking forward to the little horn button. As a polite Canadian driver, it was often a struggle to find just the right pressure to do a quick little honk with the regular horn. ;) It should be easier with the horn button, I imagine. Hopefully with some practice, it will become second nature in emergency situations, though unlearning 25 years of muscle memory will take some work.
With you being "a polite Canadian driver" I assume you will practice blowing your horn in private so as to not disturb the neighbors? But then I remembered the boom box. With that you can have fun with pedestrians in cross walks.

Anyway - muscle memory doesn't work on the horn button if you are turning or don't have your hand in the correct spot to thumb it.

That was disabled and even removed from the manual. Did they bring it back?
Really? Wow. Which makes the decision to move horn activation from airbag to button, even more dumb.
On the street, that's called "doin too much". Sometimes when something basic just...works? And has worked for decades? Might consider the fact that its cheaper/better to just leave it...alone.

There is a balance between evolution and retaining what..works. Otherwise, you end up spinning time/money/resources on undoing what you did..to go "back to basics"

Reactions: cwanja
I'm guessing, when Elon was driving his Plaid, which was guessing which way to go, he had a sudden need to use the horn and couldn't find it...

Edit, another item in my list of FOMO's
I had that happen for the first time to me the other day. Some jagoff trying to pass me from the right turn lane. I used all of my control to not go speeding around him. But we were headed immediately under a railroad underpass after the jackass did it. But either way tried hitting the horn and hit the damn windshield wiper button. Was pretty annoyed that I couldn't just lay on the center...

Oh Elon.. don't understand this one choice. Love the yoke, hate the horn button.

Last edited:
I had that happen for the first time to me the other day. Some jagoff trying to pass me from the right turn lane. I used all of my control to not go speeding around him due to going under an underpass immediately after the jackass did it. But either way tried hitting the horn and hit the damn windshield wiper button. Was pretty annoyed that I couldn't just lay on the center...

Oh Elon.. don't understand this one choice. Love the yoke, hate the horn button.
Can I add a distaste for the blinker buttons as well? No issue with the yoke; actually, I prefer it. The buttons are another matter…

Can I add a distaste for the blinker buttons as well? No issue with the yoke; actually, I prefer it. The buttons are another matter…
That is one area that I've somewhat gotten used to, but I do agree it takes a lot more thought when making a turn or having the wheel anywhere other than at normal straight position. The one feature I'm absolutely in love with is the smart blinkers going off automatically after lane change.

One thing that I miss is the ability to control following distance in AP with the right scroll wheel. I have no idea why that isn't an option, not like the scroll wheel does anything currently when you press right/left.

If it were that simple, they would have implemented it already, no? What about the horn button still on the yoke? Seems to me, the new yoke will have a new airbag horn - and yoke insert that excludes the horn button. Too sloppy, otherwise.
I said I can do it that way. No idea whether Tesla added sensors to do it, but probably. From the photo I can tell it isn't resting on spring mounts like the 3/Y, but /shrug other than that. Meanwhile, I also don't care. 8000 miles since I put the wheel on my car and couldn't be happier. ;)

(I've never had a single issue with a software update, for those curious. My mod is entirely non-invasive.)