Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my Red Model S LR, Red, Black, 19s, FSD ordered in June (NF470). I'm going to post a longer review later today but I have to get this off my chest - this car is so insane on every level I feel like crying for joy nonstop. I used to work at Disney and everything we talked about was supposed to be 'magical'. That should be Tesla's new motto. I'm coming from a Model 3 RWD (2 years) and most recently a Model 3 Stealth Performance (2 years) and in my longer review I'll compare them more.

So far I've noticed no issues but I do have a quick question - Are all four of the rubber groumets in the front supposed to be the same thickness? The one on the drivers side closest to the bumper is at least double the thickness and I'm wondering if that's what makes closing my frunk more difficult compared to my Model 3. Images attached.

FF957F9F-99D0-4D47-924C-AC5E463EED7D_1_105_c.jpeg

4ABFA87F-09D9-41AF-836B-B2F8E33D9624_1_105_c.jpeg

Just picked up my Red Model S LR, Red, Black, 19s, FSD ordered in June (NF470). I'm going to post a longer review later today but I have to get this off my chest - this car is so insane on every level I feel like crying for joy nonstop. I used to work at Disney and everything we talked about was supposed to be 'magical'. That should be Tesla's new motto. I'm coming from a Model 3 RWD (2 years) and most recently a Model 3 Stealth Performance (2 years) and in my longer review I'll compare them more.

So far I've noticed no issues but I do have a quick question - Are all four of the rubber groumets in the front supposed to be the same thickness? The one on the drivers side closest to the bumper is at least double the thickness and I'm wondering if that's what makes closing my frunk more difficult compared to my Model 3. Images attached.

View attachment 772418

View attachment 772417
You can use a hex key to adjust those.

Go grab something like play-dough and put it on the surface where it looks like the rubber contacts the lower frame.
Close the hood, then open and look at the play dough.
If the rubber pad contacted the play-dough, you should be able to tell.

Then adjust the rubber pad until there is just a bit of contact. Of course, if your frunk doesn't look aligned when you start adjusting this, you may have to return it back to the original position(s).

You can use a hex key to adjust those.

Go grab something like play-dough and put it on the surface where it looks like the rubber contacts the lower frame.
Close the hood, then open and look at the play dough.
If the rubber pad contacted the play-dough, you should be able to tell.

Then adjust the rubber pad until there is just a bit of contact. Of course, if your frunk doesn't look aligned when you start adjusting this, you may have to return it back to the original position(s).
Interesting, and good idea with the play-dough. But I'm pretty confident only the one is extendable/retractable and the other three are not. Is it normal to only have one adjustable one?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Interesting, and good idea with the play-dough. But I'm pretty confident only the one is extendable/retractable and the other three are not. Is it normal to only have one adjustable one?
The two bumpers nearest the front of the vehicle (primary focus of your photos) are both adjustable. Clockwise to sink them into the sheet metal further, and counterclockwise to bump them out. In your photos the first one (passenger side) looks fully retracted and the second (driver side) looks fully extended.

Can you show photos of the other two? Or am I missing them in the first photos...

Also please inspect the "ridges" on the driver side bumper. Are they in a spiral (like a screw?) or does the ridge go straight around?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid

View attachment 772418

View attachment 772417
Use a sheet of paper. Adjust the bumpers in so they don't make contract. Then adjust the bumpers out so that when you close the frunk on the paper it grips the paper firmly. Do this on both sides so that it has about the same pressure on both sides. From there you can fine tune it to adjust for hood alignment if necessary.

Last edited:
Indeed there is. For me personally, I find the action cumbersome. And when first introduced it was usually accompanied with turning on the windshield wipers. :rolleyes:
Last night a moron almost clipped me. he was in front of me, then he went into the right lane, which was either straight or right turn, i was in the left only lane, and then he started coming back into my lane (WHILE I WAS THERE!) - i jammed i think for the center horn (um, none) - while my yoke was turned like 90 degrees. i managed to hit the right hand side and hit the horn (and wipers) - i'm not sure how - he then went back to the right, and crossed the street.
anyway, my heart was pounding, and i looked at the footage later.
I will also say my right wrist was killing me - like i jammed at the yoke/horn/whatever with my palm 90 degrees to my forearm
at that moment i realized i would pay a princely sum for a horn retrofit where it belongs.

I've been working on cars and motorcycles since my first car at age 18. I love technical challenges, customization, results ... and any excuse to buy a new tool or learn something new. DIY all the way baby!
I love DIY (I'm in the planning stage of redoing 2 bathrooms in my house myself, after having redone half of the house already in fact) but precise application of large stickers is too tedious for me. I wish I had your patience!

2 observations on this:
1. The charging port is independently lit or is that a reflection from a passing car?
2. The trunk cover strip is same color as the body which was rumored here to be black for the PLAID if indeed this is a PLAID.
The charge port is illuminated by street lights etc. The trunk strip was never rumored to be black on Plaid. Many of us just hoped it would be.

View attachment 772418

View attachment 772417

As a M3 owner, you should know the answer is, Within Spec.

But seriously, if you notice, the bumpers are made to be adjusted by screwing in and out, and are common on trunks/hatches on many cars.