Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• 95FC3687-F7FC-44EA-A0DB-59A138B75A57.jpeg
    95FC3687-F7FC-44EA-A0DB-59A138B75A57.jpeg
    405.4 KB · Views: 118
So it turns out they repainted my drivers side rear fender. I probably never would have known if they didn’t leave polish spatter on the inside of the rear passenger door. Then I notice the rear triangle window was really dirty. Then while cleaning that I notice tape residue on the trim from taping it off.

What gets me is the car was supposedly being detailed and charged Wednesday. Turns out I had the day off Friday and thought I would check it out before delivery scheduled for Saturday and possibly pick it up early. I get there and I ask if I can see it. He says no, those are the rules. It was early morning and asked if I could pick it up that night. He checks schedule and he says today looks better than Saturday (which was gonna pour).

He goes away for 20 minutes. Comes back and says, let’s leave it on Saturday. I said Fine.

Now I know why. It was in the F’n body shop being painted. What gets me the most is being flat out lied too. Even if it was fixed perfectly I hate being lied straight to my face.

And the fact the body shop didn’t bother to avoid polish spatter on the inside or bother to clean it up. If your gonna hide that you painted it, why stop at leaving obvious evidence that you did. So a careless moron painted my car.

Peabody MA SC.

Last edited:
So it turns out they repainted my drivers side rear fender. I probably never would have known if they didn’t leave polish spatter on the inside of the rear passenger door. Then I notice the rear triangle window was really dirty. Then while cleaning that I notice tape residue on the trim from taping it off.

What gets me is the car was supposedly being detailed and charged Wednesday. Turns out I had the day off Friday and thought I would check it out before delivery scheduled for Saturday and possibly pick it up early. I get there and I ask if I can see it. He says no, those are the rules. It was early morning and asked if I could pick it up that night. He checks schedule and he says today looks better than Saturday (which was gonna pour).

He goes away for 20 minutes. Comes back and says, let’s leave it on Saturday. I said Fine.

Now I know why. It was in the F’n body shop being painted. What gets me the most is being flat out lied too. Even if it was fixed perfectly I hate being lied straight to my face.

And the fact the body shop didn’t bother to avoid polish spatter on the inside or bother to clean it up. If your gonna hide that you painted it, why stop at leaving obvious evidence that you did. So a careless moron painted my car.

Peabody MA SC.

It would be the lack of character (lies) that would chap my bum as well. During my delivery issues, I told my SA to "stop pissing on my head and tell me it is raining". He laughed, agreed, and asked if he could use it. They need to be profession, man-up, and deal with the situation.

Nice day here in Michigan. Washed the car and took some photos, mostly highlighting the new lights (I know I know.... but they are pretty cool). Enjoy.

View attachment 783727View attachment 783728View attachment 783729View attachment 783730View attachment 783743View attachment 783732View attachment 783734View attachment 783735View attachment 783738
I am so jealous of both the new headlights and the new taillights. Did anybody find out if they are retrofittable?

It's Plaid delivery day! Well not so fast. :( During the inspection of the of my new Plaid we noticed it had a few small issues with the paint (a deep rock chip, a tiny bubble, and a faint vein in the paint - almost like the worm in the airbag, but more subtle), so unfortunately it's off to the body shop to be repainted and I need to wait 'till the end of the week to pick it up. There were also some ripples in the back seat cushion, but they said that can happen due to the seats being folded down during transport so we'll see if that corrects itself. It was missing the lower trunk shelf but everything else seemed in order.

At first, I was honestly a bit underwhelmed by the interior since it had been hyped up so much, but the more I explored and fiddled around with it, the more I appreciated the improvements compared to my 2017 75D. I'll skip some of the obvious ones like the awesome new centre console, cool HVAC, etc. and mention a few more subtle things I noticed:

- The doors and handles felt more solid (a bit difficult to close, but the same thing happened with my 75D and got better over time)
- The mirror didn't creak and rattle at all when I closed the door with the window down (it was pretty bad in my 75D)
- The new tail lights look awesome in person. It was sad seeing my car drive away to the body shop, but it sure looked nice while it did! ;)
- I was surprised how big the front calipers were - seemed much bigger than on my old car. It's a shame that they're hidden away with the black paint - those puppies are getting painted as soon as I can.
- The back seats seemed much more comfortable than before, especially with the nice, wide, plush arm rest, and there was plenty of leg room. I have to disagree with Sandy Munro here.
- Lots of subtle little touches like soft-open coat hooks - even the little cover for the cigarette lighter plug had a tiny soft-open door cover - so cute!
- I like how the inside of the trunk hatch is carpeted now. The old one was cheap hard plastic that got easily scratched. I imagine this helps with sound isolation as well.
- I never saw this before, but the hood has a new rubber seal at the very front (in addition to the rubber seal that surrounds the frunk) to presumably keep the area under the hood and around the frunk free of dirt, and maybe help with aero.
- The windshield washer fluid cap is further forward which will make filling the fluid easier than before, since it used to be tucked up under the hinge.
- The new charge port was surprisingly robust. I thought it would be closer to the M3 or MY charge port but those are very flimsy in comparison. There are actually two little arms that hold the door and the whole assembly is quite smooth and solid. I do miss the LED ring, but it's not a big deal. Speaking of charging, I haven't come across this before...In the Additional Vehicle Information screen, it says "CCS adapter support: Enabled" Is this new to the refresh 2.0 model S with the new charge port? Presumably the upcoming CCS charger won't work on older models?
- I like how dark the housing of the new headlights is. Looks great with the red paint and I think it would be awesome on a white car.
- I wasn't using a panel gap measuring gauge or anything, but I thought the panel gaps looked great. Door trim and tail light assemblies were nicely aligned.
- OK, I'm getting really nitty-gritty here, but even the glove box had a nice deep thunk when opening. It sounded much more solid than before.
- I like how the new mobile charger case has a velcro-like material on the bottom so it doesn't slide around in the frunk or trunk. Nice touch.

Other, slightly less positive observations:
- The UI is obviously super snappy and responsive and I was impressed how quickly it loaded things like YouTube, which was still quite slow with MCU2. However, I was surprised that it didn't seem to be able to play 4K 60fps or even 1440p60 videos smoothly, given the purported gaming performance, but 1080p played just fine. Has anyone else noticed this? The video I tried was in HDR too, which might have been part of the issue. Either way, perhaps this could improve with future software optimizations. Sky Force Reloaded, which often had some hitches in the framerate on MCU2, was buttery smooth though, ha ha. Bring on The Witcher III and Cyberpunk!
- I can see why Tesla wanted to have the tilting screen. I'm so used to how the old vertical screen was tilted toward the driver and I wish the new one was angled more toward me (but having the option to have it centered again when watching Netflix with a passenger would be essential). Fingers crossed that they have a retrofit option for the little articulation motors behind the screen in the future to enable this functionality.

And to think I haven't even driven it yet! I can't wait to see what improvements I'll discover once I get it out on the road!

Oh, I forgot to mention. They just got a red Plaid Model S in the showroom at my local SC, so if anyone is in the Oakville, ON area, you can check it out in person (new lights and all).

Plaid-Delivery-Day01-Small-IMG_8482.jpg

Maybe this is old news but I had been assuming that the reason there is no ANC showing on my 3/2022 built Model S is the firmware was behind the date when ANC was released. It's not! It's well after that. I have version 2021.43.202 the initial ANC release was 2021.40.5 back in early November. ANC is explicitly removed from the same release notes found on earlier built cars that have it in their release notes.

I also noticed this consistent delay of getting new firmware on new cars.

I think I know what's going on. It's CHIP Shortages !!!

So they switch to a new chip, don't have time to rewrite software and pull that feature from software and ship it.

So we are stuck in the "Virtual Field" waiting for software to be written (again).

This may or may not be related to Refresh 1.0 vs 2.0 because I know others with Refresh 1.0 that don't have ANC either.

These cars could be different (way more than usual) every few months with every one having different chips and may be a nightmare to support consistently. Handling chips going obsolete is normal and they have the means of supporting that. But to this level it could get extremely complex to support (partly because it's hard to test every configuration).

This could be the worst time to buy a Tesla. Is Refresh 2.0 gonna be "stable" or are we in the middle of many more chip supply issues to come?

It could be a long wait for ANC or normal updates for many cars. Hopefully there is a chip in there to program.

I've been thinking I just need to get the latest update. No, I need to wait for them to write the code for my (different) car and then get that update.

Last edited:
I picked up my refresh 2.0 Silver Metallic Plaid today. The delivery guy Christian, was very helpful going over the whole car with me. There was some kind of rub mark on the right rear wheel fender and a tiny tiny white nit on the left rear wheel fender. He took it back for 10 minutes and it came back perfect. Missing only the privacy shelf in back.

I'll have photos when it's different, after I get it back from Xpel Stealth in a few days.

BTW, I was 4727xx, and on the lot was a new black plaid 472560 refresh 2.0. That's the earliest VIN I recall seeing that was refreshed.

I found the Yoke cool and I'm anxious to get used to turning with it. I'm definitely not after 25 miles so far. The controls are pretty far from my thumbs, so I need to sort that out as well. Maybe lowering it will help.

Oh, I did have one odd thing driving back. Suddenly the main screen turned white and had the T logo on it, and the car beeped. Scared me as I was in the middle of a freeway in traffic. Everything came back except the Bluetooth music graphic was just spinning. It never came back.

It was this thread that allowed me to know about the refresh, feel good about the hold I used, and when to release it. Nobody should buy one without subscribing.
People really need to, you learn so much just from this thread alone 🤣 I love it congrats on the new toy!

BTW, how helpful/annoyed are the people when you go through the car thoroughly? I feel you shouldn't have to for a $100k car.... Qualith control should really catch some of that nasty gap stuff.

Got it on Friday last week. Sat in the garage until today. Finally had a chance to take it out.

Car was flawless at delivery - no gap issues, no trim issues, no other noticeable qc issues.

Love the interior. It’s great but detail, surfaces, etc def not on par with Benz and the big Audi’s (I am not a BMW interior fan).

Driving it is F&$&ing amazing. I love this car.

6E359574-7F95-4466-A0A0-2A6A3292FBAA.jpeg

Attachments

• E91287F1-99BD-4C6C-ABCB-A70BD7C75053.jpeg
    E91287F1-99BD-4C6C-ABCB-A70BD7C75053.jpeg
    908.5 KB · Views: 74
  • C7031E08-E7DC-418C-9363-E2A06B584C42.jpeg
    C7031E08-E7DC-418C-9363-E2A06B584C42.jpeg
    934.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 257682A6-6EC3-496C-A777-02E604768855.jpeg
    257682A6-6EC3-496C-A777-02E604768855.jpeg
    851.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 7D8A676E-0421-4CF8-81D9-5F39AD861B27.jpeg
    7D8A676E-0421-4CF8-81D9-5F39AD861B27.jpeg
    870.8 KB · Views: 80
  • D69110EB-C50E-484F-918E-9626E1EFCA61.jpeg
    D69110EB-C50E-484F-918E-9626E1EFCA61.jpeg
    976.5 KB · Views: 88
  • B3764297-0A56-40E9-AB5D-C6149BEC20DA.jpeg
    B3764297-0A56-40E9-AB5D-C6149BEC20DA.jpeg
    773.4 KB · Views: 83
Got it on Friday last week. Sat in the garage until today. Finally had a chance to take it out.

Car was flawless at delivery - no gap issues, no trim issues, no other noticeable qc issues.

Love the interior. It’s great but detail, surfaces, etc def not on par with Benz and the big Audi’s (I am not a BMW interior fan).

Driving it is F&$&ing amazing. I love this car.

View attachment 784675
That’s my build, too. The best build, obviously.