Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am unconvinced the Plaid will get priority over LR this time around, a few things have changed since prior introductions of S and X models:
  • In the scheme of things, S/X volume and the impact on financials is dwarfed by the volume of the 3/Y
  • In the past, Tesla manipulated lead time in the configurator to make the Performance models more appealing--when I put in my order, the LR and Plaid had the same lead time
  • In the past, models had more variance in interior options (i.e. different seats, premium interior) and Tesla focused on a single config/build to debug the production line. The LR and the Plaid appear to have the same interior (except swapping wood for CF trim), so, theoretically, building side-by-side is not more complicated

Last edited:
You had me until "I actually like the Tempest wheels".

I like tempest wheels also but may change them to 20' aftermarket in the future if I end up changing my preference. Other than that the model s mules have some black rims that aren't arachnids hopefully they change the rims under the tempest covers to those. Also contacted my SA and I was told my order got push back to late March-early April. originally March 1st-31

Attachments

• tesla-model-s-plaid-scoop.jpg
    tesla-model-s-plaid-scoop.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 98
And that is just the FSD you paid for...
HA! FSD? That will go down as the most under delivered product in the history of consumerism. If you plan to keep your car for 10+ years, I can see why you'd buy FSD. But it really depends on what you think FSD is, because it aint Level 5 and it aint happening as a software update on any car on the road today. Take the 10K, invest it in a modest ETF, take your 6% return, IF FSD does ever come, use that money to add it, your returns will out pace the rise in price.

Reactions: cusetownusa

It might just be that they have to stick out further because of the wider stance of the new models. Can only guess at this point though.

Could this be HW3.5 or HW4? I also noticed there's now a cutout on the B-pillar frame that could house a larger camera.

View attachment 638870

It’s possible. I’d be happy if they just fixed the condensation problem that regularly blinds the pillar cameras in my 3 (especially in certain seasons).

I’ve been on the fence between an S and a Y, but pulled the trigger last night and submitted an order for the S. LR, Blue, black interior, tempest wheels. Mainly I wanted to get in line, but may still reconsider some options. I would really like to drive one (and know more detailed specs - a little nervous about it being too wide for our narrow driveway with curbs and concrete walls on the sides). But since it seems like deliveries are still a couple months out, I probably have time to change my mind I guess.

I’ve been on the fence between an S and a Y, but pulled the trigger last night and submitted an order for the S. LR, Blue, black interior, tempest wheels. Mainly I wanted to get in line, but may still reconsider some options. I would really like to drive one (and know more detailed specs - a little nervous about it being too wide for our narrow driveway with curbs and concrete walls on the sides). But since it seems like deliveries are still a couple months out, I probably have time to change my mind I guess.

We should find out more details in 1 - 2 weeks....oh wait that was a month ago now.... OooooooohhhElon.....

I've come to my senses and decided I'd like to remove FSD from my build, which I assume wouldn't be a difficult thing as it's just software. I tried doing that, and found two things curious:

Screenshot 2021-02-23 141108.jpg

Note "FSD computer". Does this mean it actually gets different hardware?

It also showed me this (below) when I clicked that box, which has me a bit concerned that I'll be locking in the entire build. Anyone have experience with this? Is this just a "you can't make any more changes to FSD", or does it lock everything (color options, wheels, etc)?
Screenshot 2021-02-23 141139.jpg

Aside: watching the activity in this thread, it's extremely comforting to know there are other people out there like me - hyperscrutinizing everything remotely related to the Model S refresh. :D

I've come to my senses and decided I'd like to remove FSD from my build, which I assume wouldn't be a difficult thing as it's just software. I tried doing that, and found two things curious:

View attachment 639255
Note "FSD computer". Does this mean it actually gets different hardware?

It also showed me this (below) when I clicked that box, which has me a bit concerned that I'll be locking in the entire build. Anyone have experience with this? Is this just a "you can't make any more changes to FSD", or does it lock everything (color options, wheels, etc)?
View attachment 639256
Aside: watching the activity in this thread, it's extremely comforting to know there are other people out there like me - hyperscrutinizing everything remotely related to the Model S refresh. :D

All cars, I believe, are shipped with FSD hardware. It's how they can leverage the fleet to continuously improve Autopilot!

I called Tesla Burbank a few minutes ago. The SA told me Model S deliveries were now being delayed until May or June. I then called my SA in Century Ciity who told me I am still in the first wave of deliver sometime towards the end of March.

I ordered the S LR December 15th and modified for refresh as soon as announced. This is my first Tesla and I have already had the wall charger installed. If I hadn’t had an electrician install it, I am pretty sure I would be on my was back to my MB dealer.

This is no way to run a company that sells to consumers. Totally disgusted with the lack of info.