Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently some guy on Twitter says he can see his vin for a plaid in the web inspector. No screenshot of it tho :(

1617911306872.png

I rented a car today and it made me long for the Tesla to be delivered that much more. (Very on topic!) The worst thing about regular cars is the gas station. I pull in and there is someone sitting there high on drugs. (Let me be clear -- I fully recognize that this is because he is the victim of oppression and injustice.) Then, it takes forever to use the credit card reader. The credit card readers at gas stations always seem like they haven't been updated in 30 years. If anything goes wrong -- like, you pull the credit card out a second too soon -- they go through this two minute process of blinking messages at you, telling you to go inside and pay the clerk, and resetting before you can try again. Yeah, right, like I'm going to step foot inside that gas station and deal with more drug addicts. Then, I get germs and gas on my hands because I have to to touch the pump. It was all so horrible.
I drove my gas car the other day and had literally forgotten where the pull was to get the gas cap open. The card reader was awkward too. Thankfully, some of the stations here are starting to get tap & pay, which seems to actually work pretty well.

Maybe the non-tesla charging stations should consider this solution.

I rented a car today and it made me long for the Tesla to be delivered that much more. (Very on topic!) The worst thing about regular cars is the gas station. I pull in and there is someone sitting there high on drugs. (Let me be clear -- I fully recognize that this is because he is the victim of oppression and injustice.) Then, it takes forever to use the credit card reader. The credit card readers at gas stations always seem like they haven't been updated in 30 years. If anything goes wrong -- like, you pull the credit card out a second too soon -- they go through this two minute process of blinking messages at you, telling you to go inside and pay the clerk, and resetting before you can try again. Yeah, right, like I'm going to step foot inside that gas station and deal with more drug addicts. Then, I get germs and gas on my hands because I have to to touch the pump. It was all so horrible.

Call me old fashioned, but I’d rather put up with the drug addicts hanging at the gas station (full disclosure to avoid cancellation—it is not their fault. Society has failed them) to be able to get a full tank of “range” in about 3 mins, as opposed to hanging out at a Tesla charger off the interstate for an hour with a bunch of pocket-protector techies and Birkenstock-wearing hippies.

Now the part about not having to do oil changes and brake replacements....I do like that. It just doesn’t offset the time wasted charging up during road trips.

I extended my lease yesterday on my current car for six months. Hopefully Elon gets his act together by then and can finally get my MS delivered!

laughs in new jersey, where gas attendants fill our car.

laughs in pilot, who has to ground the plane for static before fueling to avoid bad stuff.

edit: also, yeah - it's soo much quicker than charging up. i go on long road trips every weekend during the winter (snowboarding), so charging is the part i'm dreading the most. 412 miles should take care of most trips, which are roughly 150mi one way for the close mountains. vermont trips though? yikes. if i didn't also own a plane, i wouldn't consider buying a tesla at this time.

Bahaha - so one guy says only wheel, one guy says only yoke. All likely true, I suppose.

Not sure what's going to happen, but I recently spoke with a local Tesla Mgr and just like others have said, even they are not told what's going on , BUT they too suspect that the initial releases of MS (LR & Plaid) will indeed have a regular ROUND steering wheel and IF the US NHTSA approves the yoke steering wheel, then refreshed Model S/X owners can opt for that "option" whether on a new order or possibly retrofitted onto their vehicle. At least that's what they think right now; of course, this could change between now and the time when cars are actually delivered to customers.

Last edited:
Not sure what's goinmg to happen, but I recently spoke with a local Tesla Mgr and just like others have said, even they are not told what's going on , BUT they too suspect that the initial releases of MS (LR & Plaid) will indeed have a regular ROUND steering wheel and IF the US NHTSA approves the yoke steering wheel, then refreshed Model S/X owners can opt for that "option" whether on a new order or possibly retrofitted onto their vehicle. At least that's what they think right now; of course, this could change between now and the time when cars are actually delivered to customers.
And the conflicting news keeps on coming...lol. Tesla’s Yoke Steering Wheel remains a mystery with owners and employees | TESLARATI

I've been driving ice car/suv for the past 2 - 3 weeks; I'm not a happy camper. Def sold my P100D too early.. I really miss that torque :(

Call me old fashioned, but I’d rather put up with the drug addicts hanging at the gas station (full disclosure to avoid cancellation—it is not their fault. Society has failed them) to be able to get a full tank of “range” in about 3 mins, as opposed to hanging out at a Tesla charger off the interstate for an hour with a bunch of pocket-protector techies and Birkenstock-wearing hippies.
Hmm I'll go with the Tesla SC for sure.

Yeah, I know. Had a nice conversation with a Tesla Mgr today about the lack of transparency and communication from Tesla...to its own employees, its customers, and to the media. It's not right that nobody knows a thing; Tesla must simply change their ways to compete in the future with the likes of Porsche/Audi/VW, Lucid, MB, JLR, Volvo, GM, Ford, and the other major auto manufacturers in this regard. Although Tesla is still ahead in technology, the others will catch up fast but the others know how to communicate and be professional about their business practices and building/delivering vehicles to consumers.

Last edited:
Discussed at length previously here, the Yoke steering wheel is not dependent on regulatory approval. The NHTSA provides compliance standards, and no conflict has been identified against those standards. Doesn't mean the agency is not evaluating it to provide advisory guidance, but that would not hold Tesla up from releasing it, unless Tesla itself is concerned (e.g., of an NHTSA-mandated recall). I'm sure Tesla had already reviewed the risks during the design/test phase of development, and they should be long past that).

Although still speculative, I agree with those who believe that all 3 models will ship with the Yoke steering wheel (including the first off the production line). The option for a round wheel might be made available by an after-purchase modification by Tesla, and given demand, a design detail offered during initial ordering. I am basing my speculation on previous comments on this thread and the source of those comments.

My MSLR/Red/19"/FSD order placed day after refresh announcement in SoCal still shows no estimate (just "We will reach out to you...."). I looked at the web page source for my order and still no VIN has been assigned yet.

This yoke thing is such a stupid, made up, click-bait controversy. Every purchase agreement explicitly says "yoke steering", the website only shows "yoke steering wheel". Sure, some of the test mules have had round wheel, but most of them are also missing most of the trim pieces and I don't see anyone arguing the the refresh does not include any interior trim.

This yoke thing is such a stupid, made up, click-bait controversy. Every purchase agreement explicitly says "yoke steering", the website only shows "yoke steering wheel". Sure, some of the test mules have had round wheel, but most of them are also missing most of the trim pieces and I don't see anyone arguing the the refresh does not include any interior trim.
I think it will come without trim. If you ask about it, it saves money and is "within spec", or is a "characteristic of the car".