Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everything blacked out but chrome headlight housings and chrome T 🤬 🤬
I can kinda see not doing the headlights, because you end up with the Chevy Camaro look with some colors, but the shiny T bugs me.

1618680628558.png

Reactions: Moose57
Fake news Reddit?? - As my post says, the direct quote I cut-and-pasted was on a Teslarati article dated yesterday. (the article's title references a Plaid seen at test track).
Oh. I think i see what omarsultan was trying to say. That the Teslarati article that made the statement was relying on unverified or lamely sourced info such as a Reddit post. It does seem if indeed ANYBODY had received a refresh VIN the word would be all over the street.

At this point, it appears I will take delivery of yet to be announced new iMacs with Apple Silicon (available in as many different colors as Tesla), before I take delivery of my Model S refresh that was reserved on 1/27/21.
i’ve gotten a covid shot, the new xbox and playstation, AND a mountain bike (sold out literally everywhere) quicker than this damn car that was “in production” two months ago shipped a single unit. not to mention a new job.

Last edited:
i’ve gotten a covid shot, the new xbox and playstation, AND a mountain bike (sold out literally everywhere) quicker than this damn car that was “in production” two months ago shipped a single unit. not to mention a new job.
Two Covid vaccine shots, surgery on my arm and a full recovery faster than a single piece of useful information from my SA.

Rec'd an update call from the SA a few minutes ago. He talked to a few people above him and they are saying the official word is now for converted orders from previous to refresh is 8 weeks from today. People who ordered after announcement 10-12 weeks. So mine is mid-June. No word on reason or how firm is the 8 weeks. So I will keep my order in but am now actively shopping. Cannot trust that in 8 weeks they will not say another 8 weeks and the SA agreed.

Is it time for Tesla to move more towards a dealership model?

Since Tesla no longer makes build to order cars and there are very few options (exterior and interior colors, wheels, FSD), why not just stock every delivery center with say 25 colors of each model, with some black, white or cream interiors and some with 21" wheels for each color?

No more reservations. Just head over to the delivery center and tell them you want a Model S, Red, Cream interior, 21" Arachnids. You drive away with one from inventory or if not in stock, Tesla tells you next shipment of Model S cars will be received in two weeks.

This may be an oversimplification, but it could alleviate the stress of ordering a car with an unknown delivery date. It would also allow you to change your mind on color when you see the car in person. Still no negotiation, the price is the price, etc.

Last edited:

Since Tesla no longer makes build to order cars and there are very few options (exterior and interior colors, wheels, FSD), why not just stock every delivery center with say 25 colors of each model, with some black, white or cream interiors and some with 21" wheels for each color?

No more reservations. Just head over to the delivery center and tell them you want a Model S, Red, Cream interior, 21" Arachnids. You drive away with one from inventory or if not in stock, Tesla tells you next shipment of Model S cars will be received in two weeks.

This may be an oversimplification, but it could alleviate the stress of ordering a car with an unknown delivery date. It would also allow you to change your mind on color when you see the car in person. Still no negotiation, the price is the price, etc.
That would not help this situation. They are not building any refreshed Model S or Model Y vehicles. So the lot would be empty. Maybe a few 3 or Ys. But Tesla is not having problems selling cars. Their customer service sucks or at the very least their communication. I ordered on January 30 and I am going to patiently wait.

There are advantages to the dealership model: taking the time to coddle customers and telling whatever lies are needed to make them happy. The luxury-make dealer experience sells cars. The problem is the cost it adds to the process that customers will have to pay for. Tesla tries hard to keep costs low so prices can be as low as practical. But Tesla's current methods of sales and service and communication anger enough customers that in the end it might not be good enough.

1. It would do near nil to alleviate the current refresh fiasco
2. We consumers would now have to pay for this model. Dealers would have to make money somehow with funds that are currently not in the Tesla sales cycle.

1. It would do near nil to alleviate the current refresh fiasco
2. We consumers would now have to pay for this model. Dealers would have to make money somehow with funds that are currently not in the Tesla sales cycle.

While it would do nothing to alleviate the actual refresh issue as far as producing cars, it would increase the sales of the refresh. Every order cancelled is at least $100k in sales - so 10 cancellations is $1M in sales lost. In my case, if I cancel, it will be both the S and X on order now. We were going to get at least 2 Y's on order once we had the S and X for 1-2 months. We are also looking at several in our business fleet of Y's. This could cost Tesla 5-10 vehicles over the next 1-2 years easily from just us alone.

People hate dealerships. Many earn that "stealership" reputation but the ones I deal with do not. However, I do like the Tesla model of direct sales but they just need to incorporate a little customer service in there to earn and retain business.

At this point, it appears I will take delivery of yet to be announced new iMacs with Apple Silicon (available in as many different colors as Tesla), before I take delivery of my Model S refresh that was reserved on 1/27/21.
I think it's everything. I put a deposit down on a new C8 Corvette in January 2020. Just got an email from the dealer last week if I was ready to "order" and then it would take another 8-12 weeks. Sadly they now have a "rumor" for a "E-Ray" hybrid Corvette. So I put a deposit down for that. It could be another year or more. But I am looking forward to the new iMac and 14" MacBook Pro.

Yeah, no thanks on dealerships, one of the reasons I'm buying tesla and not something else. People try to say oh, there are some that don't lie or don't steal. Please. Maybe once they realize you are very savvy, but I bet they screw others even more to make up for it. What most of them do should be illegal.

Since you are calling me out, I will say - trying to keep on topic - there are those that do not cheat or steal. Maximizing profits can (and can done) without cheating and stealing. There are lots out there that earn that rep but there a lot of good ones too. I am not defending dealers, as I said, I would prefer Tesla's model but with a little more professionalism.

And saying "What most of them do should be illegal." is just sensationalism. There are those on here that say what Tesla (and Elon) is doing should be illegal...

And I have a 2020-2023 delivery date.

Some of you are missing the point. I am not suggesting Tesla sell vehicles through independent dealerships. I was throwing out for discussion Tesla maintaining inventory stock at current Tesla Delivery Centers of an assortment of different color combination models for available for immediate delivery.

Obviously this system would not alleviate the issue of no Model S vehicles currently being produced/delivered. This may solve some of the communication issues. There would be no expectation by people with reservations from before the refresh announcement, that feel they were strung along believing they would be receiving the old version of the S or a refresh in March.

Whenever Tesla announces a new model or refresh is coming, the estimated delivery date is posted on the website. If there are no vehicles in stock at the Delivery Center, no one has an expectation they will be receiving something that is no longer being manufactured.

Interested buyers would go to the Tesla Delivery Center and purchase or lease the vehicle of their choosing. No negotiation. Same price for everyone. See the color combinations in person and choose your model. The Delivery Centers would receive different vehicle combinations on a regular basis. Tesla could send more vehicles to higher volume locations.

Similar to what dealerships do and most other retail stores stocking merchandise. The main difference being that VIN's would not be assigned out of Fremont, but at the Delivery Center upon purchase.

Last edited:
Oh. I think i see what omarsultan was trying to say. That the Teslarati article that made the statement was relying on unverified or lamely sourced info such as a Reddit post. It does seem if indeed ANYBODY had received a refresh VIN the word would be all over the street.
My bad - should have been more clear what I was referring to.

Just dont forget we are talking about the new Model S/X.= from what i see 3/Y moving along really well, they are becoming a lot more commonplace on the road and (speaking a a Y owners) are amazing vehicles...and in some ways I’d rather they announced new S/X realy Rather not than later...
My delivery day was moved up another week after being moved up 3 last week.