Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have thoughts on this?

And then we'll be doing Well over 2000 s/x per week. It's a great car. It actually costs us less to produce. A little bit less to produce, but it is a superior product.

Probably less to produce than the previous S/X right? Obviously it's a superior product. Wouldn't make any sense for it to be less than 3/Y.

Here is a blurb from the transcript--he first mentions factory safety then battery safety, which might have led to some confusion.

1619502230497.png

The transcript was likely incorrect, I heard him say “battery” several times, not “factory” then “battery” (which doesn’t make much sense IMHO).
I think you are right. If folks want to listen, Elon starts talking about the refresh at the 19:13 mark - the link on ir.tesla.com will take you the recording. On listening again, I also caught that he was talking about storing more energy in a smaller space--man, audio was awful on this call.

I thinks it's kinda odd to raise the price $10K then tell folks it actually costs less to make.
To be fair, they first cut the price by $10K to clear out the last of the old Model S Ravens. The later $10K price increase just brought the MS back to par, so to speak.

Though, given the large amount of incoming competition, an eventual small long-term price cut for the MS starts to make sense.

Reactions: T-Racer
Well, Tesla’s production woes sure are making it hard to love Tesla. And I feel like I could say that in almost any year of the past several, and it’d still be just as true. :(

Was all hot to test-drive and order a Model S LR early this year, and then, just... no. Production issues, delays, and little to no transparency (for months). And, can’t even take an MS Refresh for a test drive (gotta check the yoke in action plus the ‘no stalks/autogear select’ thing before fully committing).

Now it’s ‘August/September’ for deliveries, with scaled-up production not happening ‘til
Q3 (assuming that’s not another ‘Elon time’ guess).

And, guess what? Don’t even WANT an MS from the first quarter of mass production, as that puts you firmly in
‘early-adopter/beta-tester’ land. I like my local Tesla dealership, but I don’t want to LIVE there. 😱

So, best-case scenario, I get to do my due diligence (test drive, no mass reports of apocalyptic reliability), and order early
Q4, getting an actual semi-reliable MS Refresh sometime around Xmas. Gee, thanks Elon. Guess I’m ‘sposed to feel lucky if I get it before 2022.

I really do not want to hate, really don’t, but objectively this is kinda ridiculous. And Tesla is very fortunate that this is happening now, because 3-5 years from now, if they’re still fumbling the ball this hard, the competition will
EAT. THEIR. LUNCH. 🍴

Figure out production, Elon. You’re brilliant, and you’ve had a decade already, right? ⏱

And btw, in the future... it’s UNDER-promise and OVER-deliver, not the other way ‘round. Sigh.

#still-love-Tesla-but-its-tough-love 💜

Last edited:
From when I first placed my LR order, I was hoping I would not end up being in the very first batch of refresh cars. I'm hoping what I'm reading is correct, then, that the first month's worth of vehicles will all be plaid? That should allow for some shakeout so that my LR, coming later, can be more solid.

From when I first placed my LR order, I was hoping I would not end up being in the very first batch of refresh cars. I'm hoping what I'm reading is correct, then, that the first month's worth of vehicles will all be plaid? That should allow for some shakeout so that my LR, coming later, can be more solid.
Did they actually say that? I may have missed that part

The way it was explained to me by my SA (take it for what it is worth), those that converted their orders will be a priority regardless of LR or Plaid. Then they will go to Plaid new orders first then LR.

• Disagree
Reactions: foos and GrnSqrl
Sorry, Sweden. I think they’re so backlogged with US orders, Tesla is prioritizing getting US deliveries first this year, although not sure why they would be pushing back non-US MS LR & Plaid orders to next year? That’s a shame. Sorry. We feel your pain and disappointment.
Thanks mate - As I am a child unable to wait for Christmas, I ordered a M3P for now. :)

I thinks it's kinda odd to raise the price $10K then tell folks it actually costs less to make.

Elon does not necessarily say what makes sense. It must be in context. The only way to justify is that despite being less costly to produce, they still needed to raise cost to cover expenses. Not saying that is correct but just trying to make sense out of an Elonism.

Reactions: elguapo and foos
No, because he said smaller and more energy dense. Could mean 90 kWh or 100+ kWh, no way to know unfortunately.

They 100% for sure reduced the pack size which is why it's cheaper to make and much lighter. That's the only way to achieve that given the other metrics like range being identical.

@MarcG it supercharges more miles per minute, not necessarily more energy, because the car is more efficient, meaning a smaller battery.

• Disagree
Reactions: foos
They 100% for sure reduced the pack size which is why it's cheaper to make and much lighter. That's the only way to achieve that given the other metrics like range being identical.

@MarcG it supercharges more miles per minute, not necessarily more energy, because the car is more efficient, meaning a smaller battery.
Or maybe real world range will improve this time, regardless of the rating? That'd be great.