Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is hilarious. They do not want to deal with trade ins at all. I feel like they purposely give people terrible offers so they go elsewhere. But it is also annoying that they don't even value their own cars better than random 3rd parties. I sold my model 3 privately too, for $8000 more than they offered.
Tesla should be more supportive of a Tesla trade-in for a new Tesla. It was a major turn-off receiving an offer from Tesla for a Tesla which was 25%+ lower than the next lowest offer. My preference was trade-in my P100D when the plaid was ready. Regardless, they should try to accommodate with a fair offer when potential customers want to trade-in a luxury ice car for a Tesla. Isn't this Tesla's mission ?

Reactions: T-Racer
Correct. None of the Teslas use real leather any longer.
True, but some really nice fake leather out these days. Probably can't tell the difference.
Edit: the fake leather "Sofino Synthetic Leather" in the new Telluride (sister has it) feels and looks as nice or nicer than most real leather.
for those that missed it :) gabe has released another flyover.
Really love these flyover vids. Hilarious that Tesla is cool with it.

Last edited:
The no leather thing is an environmental issue for Tesla. I am not a vegan, vegetarian, etc, but apparently the raising of animals, meat production, resulting leather is not great for the environment. So, given Tesla is an EV, and the fact there are some amazing synthetic leathers, they dropped real leather.

My Dad’s X has the white “leather” and it’s awesome. My kids always say it’s nicer than my 2016 real black leather, FWIW.

Reactions: T-Racer and lsds
so sad. anyways, point still stands about the supply chain :D

i just had to look that up, it's because of the vegans? what the heck ... idk how leather is less environmentally friendly then a synthetic that needs oil to produce, where cow hide is available because of all the beef we eat!
I had an 2017 MS90D with leather. I now have a 2018 MS100D with “Vegan” Leather and it is so much better.

Tesla should be more supportive of a Tesla trade-in for a new Tesla. It was a major turn-off receiving an offer from Tesla for a Tesla which was 25%+ lower than the next lowest offer. My preference was trade-in my P100D when the plaid was ready. Regardless, they should try to accommodate with a fair offer when potential customers want to trade-in a luxury ice car for a Tesla. Isn't this Tesla's mission ?
I think Tesla’s position is that it is a new car
manufacturer first and foremost. While Tesla does offer pre-owned vehicles for sale like typical dealerships, that is not its bread and butter.

Reactions: Drew-MS
Hold your conspiracy theories, people. The reason Tesla no longer uses leather in their cars is simply because the head designer's (Franz von Holtzhausen)'s wife said so (she even started a faux leather bag company, von Holzhausen). Everyone knows when your wife says something, you gotta agree, haha.

I have the non-leather seats in my car, they're not bad at all. Better than leather I've had in most cars in fact, but does not even remotely compare to the suppleness of the Merino leather my M5 had....

My Mercedes has faux leather as well, and it's much better than leather. Leather, no matter how well you care for it, gets creases and cracks and looks terrible after 3-4 years. My Mercedes faux leather still looks as good as the day I bought it 6 years ago. BTW, I'm not vegan, or pro-PETA, I just actually like the faux leather better (if it's done right)

@doubleshot

Don't sweat it. I've said some critical things about Tesla but there's one thing they definitely cannot be criticized for: the seats, at least not the latest generation (starting in 2019 ish for model 3).

The seats they have in the model 3 (only modern tesla I've driven/owned) are absolutely amazing. So extremely plush and very durable. I got sunscreen, coffee, you name it and it all comes right out. That's why I'm getting the white interior. But the seats are incredible. Far better than anything I've sat in personally, including real hide from legacy OEMs in expensive cars.

I took my model 3 on a handful of cross country (2000 mile+ round trip) excursions and my back or lower body never hurt, didn't feel that leather stitching digging into my back and it was very enjoyable.

Anyway, I like the seats.

RN 1139. East coast. October 2020 order. I'm in the same boat as you. No other info shown
My SA called me the day after Q1 call. She was upfront and indicated there was not much info. She said it looks like an actual chance at VIN in May. She also said that there is no way to be sure. Like with us the answers are in Fremont and that’s never going to happen.
I personally think when the support videos and user manuals suddenly get updated a few VIN s will have been issued or a few will soon follow. It’s the first place I check.

Can someone help me clarify.... If you buy a Tesla with FSD, I understand if you trade it in with Tesla down the road they do not "add the FSD price to the car". I also have heard the same thing if you sell to a dealership. Tesla will not carry over FSD to the new owner. However if you sell your Tesla to a private party, is it 100% certain that FSD stays with the car or not? Is this written anywhere? Thanks!

@doubleshot

Don't sweat it. I've said some critical things about Tesla but there's one thing they definitely cannot be criticized for: the seats, at least not the latest generation (starting in 2019 ish for model 3).

The seats they have in the model 3 (only modern tesla I've driven/owned) are absolutely amazing. So extremely plush and very durable. I got sunscreen, coffee, you name it and it all comes right out. That's why I'm getting the white interior. But the seats are incredible. Far better than anything I've sat in personally, including real hide from legacy OEMs in expensive cars.

I took my model 3 on a handful of cross country (2000 mile+ round trip) excursions and my back or lower body never hurt, didn't feel that leather stitching digging into my back and it was very enjoyable.

Anyway, I like the seats.
Thanks for sharing that you've spilled coffee and gotten sunscreen on your white seats and got it out. That was my fear that the white is so white that it would really be hard to keep it that way. That is what drove me to cream. Now you got me messed in the head again about colors! :D

Reactions: doubleshot
for those that missed it :) gabe has released another flyover.
I think this is where they are showing the early refreshed MS builds "stacking up in the yard" that had the battery issues:
1619626068049.png

They'll just have to do a few "refinements" to get them ready for delivery.

Okay, sorry, I'm not hating on Tesla, I love Tesla and can't wait for my car, just looking for comedy to help with the pain of waiting!

Hold your conspiracy theories, people. The reason Tesla no longer uses leather in their cars is simply because the head designer's (Franz von Holtzhausen)'s wife said so (she even started a faux leather bag company, von Holzhausen). Everyone knows when your wife says something, you gotta agree, haha.

I have the non-leather seats in my car, they're not bad at all. Better than leather I've had in most cars in fact, but does not even remotely compare to the suppleness of the Merino leather my M5 had....
I think the polyurethane seat material in the Teslas is great and much better than average leather. The bad thing is just what you pointed out here, though. They can't really offer an upgrade that compares to the best real leather grades out there.

But it seems like that isn't the market that Tesla wants to pursue in the long term anyway.

Reactions: DukeofURL