Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Account shows still the same plaid with red caliper but homepage shows no caliper and tempest 19” wheel option added. I want the red calipers as my car is red.
Removing red calipers from the Plaid seems inexplicable. Tesla has always differentiated their performance cars with red calipers, and they already find themselves in a position where the visual differentiation between the LR and Plaid is almost nonexistent. If this is really accurate, the only visual difference between a LR and Plaid will be the carbon fiber boot spoiler, black piping on the seats and ventilation on the front seat side bolsters. The cost savings would be minuscule, and there is really no good reason to remove one of the most recognizable differentiators on a car that is $40k more expensive.

I strongly believe that the webmasters must have screwed something up on this. It’s a pretty easy and inexpensive fix for those that want painted calipers, but it seems crazy that someone spending a minimum of $120k on a car would have to then take their car to get modified. I think this is a major misstep if it in fact becomes our reality, but Tesla has done crazier things. We will all find out soon enough. (2 days, 23 hours and counting)

Removing red calipers from the Plaid seems inexplicable. Tesla has always differentiated their performance cars with red calipers, and they already find themselves in a position where the visual differentiation between the LR and Plaid is almost nonexistent. If this is really accurate, the only visual difference between a LR and Plaid will be the carbon fiber boot spoiler, black piping on the seats and ventilation on the front seat side bolsters. The cost savings would be minuscule, and there is really no good reason to remove one of the most recognizable differentiators on a car that is $40k more expensive.

I strongly believe that the webmasters must have screwed something up on this. It’s a pretty easy and inexpensive fix for those that want painted calipers, but it seems crazy that someone spending a minimum of $120k on a car would have to then take their car to get modified. I think this is a major misstep if it in fact becomes our reality, but Tesla has done crazier things. We will all find out soon enough. (2 days, 23 hours and counting)
Many Cars are ready in lot of deliveries. You really think last minute they would change out calipers 😂. It doesn’t cost much to have that done. Why would they piss off their higher margin customer?

Many Cars are ready in lot of deliveries. You really think last minute they would change out calipers 😂. It doesn’t cost much to have that done. Why would they piss off their higher margin customer?
I never said anything about expecting them to change out calipers on existing cars. Not sure how you got that from what I said above.

We will have to see if this is legit in the next few days. But if this is in fact real, and not a massive screwup by a drunk/hungover webmaster, I could see Tesla's potential reasoning: "Plaid already has the carbon spoiler, and the badge, and it saves a few cents per car on the production line." Not completely untrue reasoning, but a bummer nonetheless.

The pic in my account changed too.

1623126070453.png

Reactions: omarsultan
I was agreeing with you actually that they won’t change calipers ( new or old orders). It just doesn’t make sense to me.

@2021plaid I could see Tesla's potential reasoning: "Plaid already has the carbon spoiler, and the badge, and it saves a few cents per car on the production line." Not completely untrue reasoning, but a bummer nonetheless.

The Plaid is Tesla’s low volume flagship car until the roadster arrives. There is no way to rationalize painting the calipers on hundreds of thousands of Model 3/Y Performance cars and then trying to save a few dollars on the Plaid. You save money by reducing costs on high volume vehicles, not stripping the limited production flagship vehicle of its differentiation.

Last edited:
@2021plaid
I could see Tesla's potential reasoning: "Plaid already has the carbon spoiler, and the badge, and it saves a few cents per car on the production line." Not completely untrue reasoning, but a bummer nonetheless.

The Plaid is Tesla’s low volume flagship car until the roadster arrives. There is no way to rationalize painting the calipers on hundreds of thousands of Model 3/Y Performance cars and then trying to save a few dollars on the Plaid. You save money by reducing costs on high volume vehicles, not stripping the flagship vehicle of its differentiation.
So what do you think it may be? Just a horrible imaging mistake? I'm totally stumped by this one.