Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, two things:
  • I got brave and turned on the AutoShift. I have a typical setup where I back out of my garage in reverse, then once in the street, shift into drive, turn the wheel to the left and be on my way. It half worked. The car knew to put itself into reverse and I backed out of my driveway (BTW the visuals in the instrument cluster are very clear as to which direction the car will go). But, it did not know when to shift into drive. It tried turning my wheel in the direction I wanted to go to see if I could trigger something, but no dice. I will try this again later. Today is trash day, so everyone had their cans out, plus my neighbor is having some work done, so there are service vehicles parked everywhere. I'll try it again when the street is emptier.
    • As an aside, shifting on the screen is getting pretty intuitive
  • Since I had the car out, I did a quick loop around the block and through a parking lot to get a feel for the yoke. Basically a 90 degree turn (i.e. right turn at a cross street) is accomplished by a 180 degree turn of the yoke and a 180 degree u-turn requires a full 360-degree turn of the yoke. This is not as awkward as it sounds as the bottom of the yoke allows you to do hand-over-hand to turn the yoke over. The muscle memory issue for me is, typically, once I make a turn, I let the wheel run through a loosened grip straighten on its own, and can't really do that anymore. I'll try and get some driving video done today.
    • The ergonomics of the yoke are spot on--they did a nice job.
I think autoshift only takes you out of park. Does not go from R to D as far as I've heard

OK, two things:
  • I got brave and turned on the AutoShift. I have a typical setup where I back out of my garage in reverse, then once in the street, shift into drive, turn the wheel to the left and be on my way. It half worked. The car knew to put itself into reverse and I backed out of my driveway (BTW the visuals in the instrument cluster are very clear as to which direction the car will go). But, it did not know when to shift into drive. It tried turning my wheel in the direction I wanted to go to see if I could trigger something, but no dice. I will try this again later. Today is trash day, so everyone had their cans out, plus my neighbor is having some work done, so there are service vehicles parked everywhere. I'll try it again when the street is emptier.
  • Since I had the car out, I did a quick loop around the block and through a parking lot to get a feel for the yoke. Basically a 90 degree turn (i.e. right turn at a cross street) is accomplished by a 180 degree turn of the yoke and a 180 degree u-turn requires a full 360-degree turn of the yoke. This is not as awkward as it sounds as the bottom of the yoke allows you to do hand-over-hand to turn the yoke over. The muscle memory issue for me is, typically, once I make a turn, I let the wheel run through a loosened grip straighten on its own, and can't really do that anymore. I'll try and get some driving video done today.
The manual says it will only pick the direction when shifting out of park. It doesn't seem like it is designed to then switch from reverse to drive.

Quickly press both scroll wheels at once to activate the drive buttons under the phone chargers.

If you hold them in too long, it will reboot but the drive buttons will still be activated. The buttons should activate automatically whenever the screen isn't available.

View attachment 672261
Thanks.

I wish you could push the two buttons but then a scroll up on the wheel for reverse or down for drive. That would be so fast.

From the render, it looks almost like there's an LED strip built into the silver trim. I assume this was just a shadow in the render and nothing there in real-life? You can see where it looks like the light strips start in the red boxes

View attachment 672245

View attachment 672246
So far, this is not a thing. The trim simply looks like aluminum trim right now. I'll take a closer look again. Right now, flipping the switch only cycles the LEDs in the door pockets. I'll take a pic tonight.

OK, two things:
I know others have said it but you are a better window into what we're buying than the company that is selling it to us. Thank you for your patience and your effort and communication! This is great stuff!

For the folks wondering about Plaid vs Dragstrip mode here are my observations based on videos I've seen so far and how my Raven Model S worked. Hope this helps some other launch nerds out there. 😁

On the Plaid Model S, you can select "Plaid" under "Acceleration." (This is very similar to how you select "Ludicrous" in the Raven Model S)

If you want maximum performance and launch/cheetah mode, you select "Plaid" and then "Drag Strip Mode." D.S. mode can only be used while in "Plaid" acceleration.
Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 8.47.13 AM.png

Then on the binnacle display this display appears. The yellow pill says "Drag Strip" with a rocket icon. Under that it says "conditioning for Peak Performance, xx minutes remaining"
Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 2.28.01 PM.png

This process is very similar to how the Raven Model S Ludicrous+ mode/launch/cheetah mode works, except the battery heating information is included on the main display as seen below.

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 2.34.04 PM.png

My big question is has Tesla improved the battery heating time in the new Plaid? With my 2020 Raven, it takes around 45 minutes of battery heating for the first pull and then 5-10 minutes between pulls for the battery to be at the correct temp. I'm really hoping that Tesla dramatically reduced that.

Last edited:
I am packing a tape measure to take with me tomorrow :)
I am sure you are not sleeping 😀Good luck today
Called over to dealer in Devon, PA. Spoke to someone there for a little while. They sounded confident being that my profile is 100% complete (with insurance policy form my old car uploaded and all) and not changing my order that a vin should be assigned shortly. But, he said it could be over the next week or two, which then puts delivery out until July/August. They mentioned a June delivery date is possible, but given they only delivered 25 at event and only producing about 100 cars a week for now, not sure about deliveries here on east coast for those that did not place order in beginning of year, more than likely looking at August then. He said do not change the order. Price at time of deposit will hold, unless you change the configuration. Old floor mats should fit in the new MS, or they would of changed the mats on the website by now. Had nothing to say about CF trim or anything holding up order since i placed mine before that was published on the website. I asked about all of the cars sitting in Freemont on the temp lot, he didn't have anything to say. He also said that typically the delivery schedule on east coast is the last month of the quarter, which would be September. But since they want to roll out the MS and catch up with any backlogs they will continue to roll them out as fast as they can for delivery. So if you are not in June, then July/August most likely.

I would suggest that if anyone has questions or wants an update to just call the local dealership you are picking up from. I had to wait on hold for about 10 minutes, but then got someone that was happy to try and answer some questions........best they can i guess. The person i spoke to said they still don't have "that many answers" just yet since the event was just last night. As we get into the latter end of June and deliveries pick up they should know more. He said as soon as i get a VIN then they can pretty much tell me exactly when the car will be delivered.
Good to hear. I texted my SA in Devon and he said they are expecting a few plaid deliveries by end of month. Let's see what happens. My delivery date says June , ordered 6/4

• Disagree
Reactions: foos and HumanInput
I havent heard from my SA in 4 months or more
What's an SA? Kidding'ish. My experience, I've ordered online, I watch estimated dates go all over the place. I drive myself crazy. You’ll start seeing posts about shipping logistics and vins will pop up. Then out of the blue you get a call from Vegas. It's not until they call that you get anything - once you do its lightning fast.

Based off what Elon said last night and again my M3 experience, the production estimates of 1000/wk will likely not take place until EoY. Any estimate you see now is likely false (EoQ may skew a bit).

For the folks wondering about Plaid vs Dragstrip mode here are my observations based on videos I've seen so far and how my Raven Model S worked. Hope this helps some other launch nerds out there. 😁

On the Plaid Model S, you can select "Plaid" under "Acceleration." (This is very similar to how you select "Ludicrous" in the Raven Model S)

If you want maximum performance and launch/cheetah mode, you select "Plaid" and then "Drag Strip Mode." D.S. mode can only be used while in "Plaid" acceleration.

View attachment 672247

Then on the binnacle display this display appears. The yellow pill says "Drag Strip with a rocket icon" Under that it says "conditioning for Peak Performance, xx minutes remaining"

View attachment 672248

This process is very similar to how the Raven Model S Ludicrous+ mode/launch/cheetah mode works, except the battery heating information is included on the main display as seen below.

View attachment 672250

My big question is has Tesla improved the battery heating time in the new Plaid? With my 2020 Raven, it takes around 45 minutes of battery heating for the first pull and then 5-10 minutes between pulls for the battery to be at the correct temp. I'm really hoping that Tesla dramatically reduced that.

Does the display actually measure the 0-60 time after a launch? Would be great to get some real world data on the battery temp requirements between pulls. Could also explain why Drag Times only saw 2.74 0-60 when they measured. Good info!!!

View attachment 672247

Then on the binnacle display this display appears. The yellow pill says "Drag Strip" with a rocket icon. Under that it says "conditioning for Peak Performance, xx minutes remaining"
View attachment 672248

View attachment 672250

So what is the Plaid 0-60 without engaging Drag Strip mode? Are we talking a tenth of a second, or is it appreciable like .3 seconds?