Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah. I hate Tesla as a company, but I think their cars are by far the best, so that's why I'm sticking this out. I don't want to drive a substantially worse car just because I think Elon Musk is a fraud.
If I hated a company, and thought the CEO was a fraud, I wouldn't be doing business with them. Everyone's prerogative of course.

Just ask @Atomadam for some pics of his car. He has been pretty quiet recently. Must be spending so much time in that new Plaid that he doesn’t have time to check in anymore.
@Atomadam is just out capturing detailed pictures of Supercharging sessions, range, and concurrent Soc%, etc., so we can calculate the battery capacity accurately. ;)

The yoke will be fine. You will adjust. It’s different but different isn’t bad.

Agreed. Am I nervous - yes, it is different from current. Not sure it is more functional or not, but not every change has to necessarily be a functional improvement.

I am trusting in all the design and testing Tesla has done on it. Also, it has been on the streets for a few days. People have made it their life mission to report bad issues regarding Tesla and no real world complaints (yet?).

Will take it whether an option or not. Would be nice knowing if I do not like that I can swap out for a round one - even at my expense.

Agreed. Am I nervous - yes, it is different from current. Not sure it is more functional or not, but not every change has to necessarily be a functional improvement.

I am trusting in all the design and testing Tesla has done on it. Also, it has been on the streets for a few days. People have made it their life mission to report bad issues regarding Tesla and no real world complaints (yet?).

Will take it whether an option or not. Would be nice knowing if I do not like that I can swap out for a round one - even at my expense.
You think Tesla did testing on it? Brave assumption. Everyone driving a Plaid now is doing the testing 😂

I'd forgotten about all of this.
Back when I changed Teslas like I change my underwear (I know, there is a lot there to unpack), I was used to not so patiently waiting for a VIN and hanging with my peeps on the forums for emotional support.

Its been six years of pure bliss with my P90DL and I feel like I'm coming out of my Covid Cave and am shocked by re-entering the whole Tesla announce new car process. At least there is still the forums for emotional support (kinda, there does seem to be a lot more drama or maybe I'm just not remembering all the drama from days gone past).

Either way, thanks folks!

On the subject of power.....
Looking at the HP curve from the delivery event (powercurve.jpg), all performance cars are following roughly the same curve slope after the P85 for the initial launch and first tens of MPH. The two primary distinctions between the P85, PxxDL and Plaid are the point at which the curves plateau and the plateau profile.

The P85 runs in the 450 hp range, the P100D in the 630 hp range and now the Plaid at 1050 hp.
The Plaid curve has a SLIGHTLY lower initial slope in comparison to the Performance and seems to be spot on the P100D.
The Plaid lays down a little bit on power as speed builds where the others simply fall off.

Watching all the videos and listening to Brooks, It occurs to me that-

The initial power delivery is likely traction limited from the P100D onward. The batteries with higher voltage can source more power at the same current levels so there is likely more power available than can be used at slower speeds. Basically, the slope of the post P85 curve is likely the sane limit of every day street car traction using very advanced traction control. There are small improvements in 0-60 but these likely will not register on the butt dyno. Brooks said as much when he said the big difference is that it keeps pulling. (addition here - the PLAID's power curve climbs in the 40 mph to 60 mph range while the others plateau. This alone will improve the 0-60 but on the tail end as opposed to the launch end. This is very useful.)

The ability of the Plaid battery to maintain that slope is the most interesting part for me. Tesla must have significantly reduced the pack's internal resistance (in combination with the higher voltage) to allow them to pull that level of power from the pack for an extended period of time. This improvement will show up as range as well as improved supercharging performance.

Coming from a P90DL, I expect the new car to launch a bit harder than my current car. This is not all that important as I have not done a running foot stab launch of my car in years. It was fun a few times in the beginning but gets old fast. In short, it will be a wash for me in my driving style.

What I see as incredibly useful is the inprovement in acceleration through 80 mph. This car will be unlike anything most of us will have driven on the street when it comes to pulling at higher speeds. It will be unlike anything any of us has driven on the street when it comes to the instantaneous availability of that power. No battery heating needed. Just leave it in PLAID and it will always be there for you. That, for me, is game changing.
One quick thought here.
The graph specifically says Motor Power and I distinctly remember Tesla getting us all at least once before talking about motor power the battery could never support. In short, they were talking about a metric the car was simply not capable of delivering on as a system.

I do not think they are doing that again but thought it worth mentioning.

One quick thought here.
The graph specifically says Motor Power and I distinctly remember Tesla getting us all at least once before talking about motor power the battery could never support. In short, they were talking about a metric the car was simply not capable of delivering on as a system.

This is taking into account the maximum battery power. In the Dragtimes video (skip to 13:00), the engineer explains that each motor actually is capable of producing 400 hp, which would make 1200 hp combined. However, the engineer said that the reason the Plaid is 1020hp is because of the limits of the battery.

One quick thought here.

I think i heard the motor power can support something like 1200 hp, but the batteries can only support 1020 hp. I am new to the Tesla cars so I am picking up bits and pieces of info, wish I knew more....hahah