Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you quantify that? If it’s faster around Laguna Seca than a Taycan, does that mean it handles better? Or do you judge it on a more spiritual level?
Sorry for the lack of clarity re: Handling of the Tesla MS vs. Porsche Taycan. I should have asked does it handle as well on twisty roads as the Taycan. Will it be a joy to drive on a curvy two lane road? :cool:

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Hi guys, new to the Tesla club here. After leasing other electric cars for few years, I finally put in a Model S LR RN1151 order last week. Estimated delivery showed September then, and since moved to October and eventually disappeared which seems to be common.
My only issue is, my current Bolt lease ends first week of September, how worried should I be based on the track records?
At this juncture expect the October timeframe (or later), but hold out hope for September :)

Sorry for the lack of clarity re: Handling of the Tesla MS vs. Porsche Taycan. I should have asked does it handle as well on twisty roads as the Taycan. Will it be a joy to drive on a curvy two lane road? :cool:

While I'm sure the Porsche will handle better (That's what they do) the current Model S Raven handles the twisties quite nicely ... the center of gravity is low due to the battery pack so it has very little body roll (but does have some).

I shared this in the LR forum but for everyone else:

Good news!

I just got a call from Tesla and they said that I will definitely be taking delivery before the end of the month. They said I haven't been matched with a VIN yet but it should happen soon. They confirmed with me that I was ready to take delivery. Some notes:

-- They will honor the $2k discount for pre-refresh orders and it will show up on my final paperwork
-- They will honor the $8k FSD price from when I ordered in October
-- They have already delivered a Plaid (yesterday) here in LA, so it seems like more than just the initial batch from the event are going out now
-- If you are out of town you can have it delivered to a friend's house

Hope more people get good news soon!

Hi guys, new to the Tesla club here. After leasing other electric cars for few years, I finally put in a Model S LR RN1151 order last week. Estimated delivery showed September then, and since moved to October and eventually disappeared which seems to be common.
My only issue is, my current Bolt lease ends first week of September, how worried should I be based on the track records?
I would hope you are OK but we are in the Teslaverse. My wife’s Bolt lease ended last month, we had the option to extend it month to month so that could be an option for you. We decided to just go with one car for a while since we are both still working from home. Waiting to see if anything happens with the proposed tax credits. If the credit comes thru it will be hard not to go with another Bolt with the price being effectively close to $20,000. Not an exciting car but my wife likes it.

I find it difficult to believe that even Tesla with all their terrible planning, couldn't secure enough CF trim back in Feb-April to produce all the MS Plaids ordered back in Jan & Feb to deliver them in June & July. That's just crazy that people like me who ordered on 2/5/21 would have to wait until Aug, the same month as people who ordered their MS Plaids in May & June...to take delivery in Aug. Geez...if true, what an epic failure for Tesla in terms of planning & procurement from many months ago! 🤬 👎

I assume they had planned on starting deliveries earlier and not building up such a backlog. Plus I think there’s a scramble to maximize revenue and margins for Q2. So I think they built some LRs, and then decided they could instead steal the wood trim from them to put in more Plaid models, and that by delivering Plaids earlier and cancelling Plaid+ they could get a surge of demand for those higher-margin models through the rest of June.

We all already know they’re making them, and we know someone with a VIN, and the claimed 1000 cars a week in Q3 (which starts 2 weeks from tomorrow) cannot possibly be all Plaids. Once again we get nonsensical information from an SA!
That didn’t sound like an SA if he spoke to someone in Fremont. But as we all know with the exception of one clown here, the Keystone Kops are an Olympic champion synchronized swimming team compared to Tesla employees knowledge at every level.

Now that we have our first LR VIN on the spreadsheet, may I ask that everyone put at least the first 8 digits of the VIN. That 8th digit is critical as it distinguishes between Plaid P2 Tri Motor (6) and LR P2 Dual Motor(5). @dfinn1 especially interested to see if you have a 5 as the 8th digit of your VIN!

I assume they had planned on starting deliveries earlier and not building up such a backlog. Plus I think there’s a scramble to maximize revenue and margins for Q2. So I think they built some LRs, and then decided they could instead steal the wood trim from them to put in more Plaid models, and that by delivering Plaids earlier and cancelling Plaid+ they could get a surge of demand for those higher-margin models through the rest of June.
Hit the nail on the head. There was a clear interior parts shortage (the test vehicles were missing trim for months), combined with likely a few other parts being not delivered on time and late software, we're now seeing the results. The very late shift to offer Plaid with wood-trim options cements this.

Reactions: BPeter
My SA reports that my car is at the factory and scheduled to be on a truck soon to head to the east coast. He's projecting 6/24.
Stupid question - how are you getting to an SA? I've ordered online (2nd time). Last time I got in inside delivery advisor - but not until after the VIN was updated. I'd like to try and get some "inside info" to help navigate planning.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I would hope you are OK but we are in the Teslaverse. My wife’s Bolt lease ended last month, we had the option to extend it month to month so that could be an option for you. We decided to just go with one car for a while since we are both still working from home. Waiting to see if anything happens with the proposed tax credits. If the credit comes thru it will be hard not to go with another Bolt with the price being effectively close to $20,000. Not an exciting car but my wife likes it.
I hope I dont have to go month to month with the bolt. My wife likes the Bolt too! Its functional but her primary is the Q7. I want to stick to my decision on MS :)