Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What about using your Tesla wall charger (and is yours the newest one that does 48amps) at home? I know it's faster than my previous EV (I think max was only 7kw) using the older ChargePoint level 2 home charger with a max of 32amp but just curious on the charging times for that. Thank you!
I actually have an older HPWC on the side of the garage that a is set up for 80A (as my P85 could accept that). It is charging at 11kW on that.

We are talking about 8 hundredths of a second. This is an amount of time that is so inconsequential that it gives new meaning to splitting hairs. There are so many variables involved with a test run like this that a slight change in ambient temperature, humidity, surface etc can easily alter this number. When you are not even talking about tenths of a second, I consider the numbers to be equivalent. I have actually never discussed performance with any car enthusiast in terms of hundredths of seconds because, frankly, it seems absolutely absurd. This is currently the fastest accelerating production car in the world period! I have no doubt we will see sub 2.0 second 0-60 with 1ft of rollout.

Fair but - again - Elon is using the 1.99s as a headlining number for marketing/sales/attention. if .01 didn't matter, why doesn't he say "2.00s"? Because we all know its about image and marketing. EE is simply stating that no, it doesn't actually get there and no one has proved him wrong to date, even with apples-to-apples rollout. So when people say he is wrong, what exactly is he wrong about?

100% agree on this. I think he painted himself into a corner and is trying to get out--he should just own it. Useful measurement is about both accuracy and consistency. If the industry standard practice is 1-ft rollout, then as long as it is disclosed and everyone uses the same thing, who cares? Bitching about it and holding one company to a different standard is disingenuous at best.

Not to be a dick here or anything - but I believe even with the 1ft rollout, the Plaid hasn't been measured to hit 1.99 without the dragstrip glue. So I completely agree - if the 1ft rollout is and has been the standard and the plaid hit it in 1.99s no issues there...but I believe motortrend hit it at 2.07s on their usual surface no? its still the fastest car theyve ever tested, but i agree with EE that perhaps claiming 1.99s unnecessarily and needing a bunch of special treatment to get there is a bit misleading at best and not necessary.
Totally agree with @omarsultan here when he says that this singling-out of Tesla isn't cool. No offence meant, but @Tigers let me quote another example of these tactics with VHT: Ford. The 2020 Shelby GT500 has 760 hp, and is supposed to hit 60mph in 3.3 seconds, and do the 1/4 mile in 10.7 seconds. Do you, or anyone else here think that happens on the street? Even on a dragstrip, it is extremely hard to match these numbers. And on an unprepped surface, you'd be happy to walk away with 4.5 second 0-60, and a 12 second 1/4 mile. (Now for the record, I'm not saying that Ford is lying, because when the stars align, and the driver has enough skill in launching a high-hp RWD mustang, it does actually do a 3.3 0-60, and a 10.7 1/4 mile.) This is my problem with EE's choice of words in describing Tesla's practices. Literally every other OEM uses these same tactics! So how is Tesla in the wrong for going with the flow?

Not to be a dick here or anything - but I believe even with the 1ft rollout, the Plaid hasn't been measured to hit 1.99 without the dragstrip glue. So I completely agree - if the 1ft rollout is and has been the standard and the plaid hit it in 1.99s no issues there...but I believe motortrend hit it at 2.07s on their usual surface no? its still the fastest car theyve ever tested, but i agree with EE that perhaps claiming 1.99s unnecessarily and needing a bunch of special treatment to get there is a bit misleading at best and not necessary.
Valid point, but hopefully will be resolved with 1 software update. Elon seems to be seriously into performance numbers which is pretty cool I guess.
I’m pretty sure it was similar with the Dodge Demon a few years ago. The 1/4 mile time had an * “the 1/4 mile time can only be achieved under special conditions (with slicks on a prepped surface”

Last edited:
Totally agree with @omarsultan here when he says that this singling-out of Tesla isn't cool. No offence meant, but @Tigers let me quote another example of these tactics with VHT: Ford. The 2020 Shelby GT500 has 760 hp, and is supposed to hit 60mph in 3.3 seconds, and do the 1/4 mile in 10.7 seconds. Do you, or anyone else here think that happens on the street? Even on a dragstrip, it is extremely hard to match these numbers. And on an unprepped surface, you'd be lucky to walk away with 4.5 second 0-60, and a 12 second 1/4 mile. (Now for the record, I'm not saying that Ford is lying, because when the stars align, and the driver has enough skill in launching a high-hp RWD mustang, it does actually do a 3.3 0-60, and a 10.7 1/4 mile.) This is my problem with EE's choice of words in describing Tesla's practices. Literally every other OEM uses these same tactics! So how is Tesla in the wrong for going with the flow?

I mean - I think there are examples of other OEMs doing this, but don't know if it really is common in terms of the glue stuff. Notably, Porsche and BMW typically under report 0-60 and regular people are able to get better than advertised.

Motortrend has a standard on how they test cars and according to them the Plaid Model S is the only one they've tested with the glue (because Tesla required it) in the last several decades.

I do think with further optimizations to the motors and potentially a track package it can get there consistently, but I dont know that it really is capable today and I do think EE is correct in pointing that out.

That said - If I am buying or own a Plaid, I really truly dont care about .08s or some ridiculous imperceptible number, so Id just floor it, get that huge grin on my face and be happy!

Attachments

• 327130EB-350E-4EB6-9416-E73716ED2848.jpeg
    327130EB-350E-4EB6-9416-E73716ED2848.jpeg
    282.7 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I mean - I think there are examples of other OEMs doing this, but don't know if it really is common in terms of the glue stuff. Notably, Porsche and BMW typically under report 0-60 and regular people are able to get better than advertised.

Motortrend has a standard on how they test cars and according to them the Plaid Model S is the only one they've tested with the glue (because Tesla required it) in the last several decades.

I do think with further optimizations to the motors and potentially a track package it can get there consistently, but I dont know that it really is capable today and I do think EE is correct in pointing that out.

That said - If I am buying or own a Plaid, I really truly dont care about .08s or some ridiculous imperceptible number, so Id just floor it, get that huge grin on my face and be happy!
The reason Tesla put their foot down with the VHT thing, was to avoid the headline: "Tesla Fails To Meet Under-Two-Second 0-60 Claims, Only Did 2.07; Really Slow." I bet even without further improvements, that other magazines, or Plaid owners will be able to probably put down a good 2.0-2.05 second 0-60. For all we know, MotorTrend was really pissed off with Tesla for telling them what to do, and so they didn't try for the absolute fastest times. At the end of the day though, I totally agree with you @Tigers, when most the owners will be fine knowing their car is a sub-2 second car on a prepped surface, and a really, really low 2 second car on the street.