Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has been discussed a number of times on this thread, but heck - at over 2000 pages finding the details are not simple. You're better off waiting on doing the financing until you're closer to delivery (or at least have a VIN). Everything is a moving target until then.

I image its been discussed 213413242134 times. The search function since the forums revamp is trash IMO though. Im a Web Dev and Digital Marketer and cant stand this CMS. I figured what the hell. Someone will tell me its been stated, and tell it again. LOL. Thanks for the heads up. Just doesnt make sense doing financing now but like stated above, I dont want to hold up the process.

Question. I didnt have to deal with such a long wait for either one of my previous Model 3's, so this part is kind of new to me.

Now the question! Since my order for a Model S LR states "October" as the delivery date (which I understand and know will change 50 times), should I accept the trade in (if its all good terms in my eyes) and do a cash price for now? I ask as I plan on doing finance either with Teslas people or my own, but makes zero sense to run it now with a 4 month wait. Whats the census say here?

Pardon if this has been asked a million times. I searched. Nada showed in my case.

The trade in they offer will only be valid for four weeks.

When I placed my order I got a call from my local “dealer” - they strongly suggested I take the trade in off my account and do a cash deal to start with. The logic they shared was that, if there’s any complexity to the order someone has to manually approve the VIN match as opposed to an automated match. Of course they’d approve it but as my SA pointed out they don’t work 24/7 unlike the computer system.

Made sense to me and therefore I share it with you. As others have mentioned once the VIN shows up you can finance.

Reactions: JimLL
Literally getting honey-dicked by the monkey here. Delivery date went from blank to June as of this morning and with not even a single tempest in the latest drone video I don't know if the tempest ones are on trucks for deliveries to service centers or are not produced at all. What a cluster this entire ordeal is lol

Maybe there is hope for us Tempest guys for a sooner than later delivery. They are all on trains and trucks. THats what Im sticking to!

Literally getting honey-dicked by the monkey here. Delivery date went from blank to June as of this morning and with not even a single tempest in the latest drone video I don't know if the tempest ones are on trucks for deliveries to service centers or are not produced at all. What a cluster this entire ordeal is lol
I saw a lot of Teslas on transports going east across TX yesterday. I was going the other way so didn't get a very good look at models.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Weird -- probably some operator error -- try this instead:

Can you add a note that the VIN is useless without included at least everything up to the last three? Theres really nothing to hide in a VIN anyway, but it will be very hard to observe when changes occur, or, to find out of the cars parked in the lots get delivered months from now after new ones have been rolling off the line and into peoples hands (supporting one theory those cars are waiting for trim parts)

They have not been doing great, but we can start talking when one of these start-up Tesla competitors actually starts shipping vehicles. They haven't even started dealing with all the production stuff Tesla has been sorting out for years.

IMO the real pressure on Tesla is going to be from traditional automakers going electric. Those guys have a lot more experience shipping cars.
While i agree, and want to tell myself this as welI(competition is good), I think many overlook the Supercharging network, Hardware(specifically motors/gearsets), and Software. Tesla has a LARGE lead, i'm already hearing some rumblings of problems with the Mustang Mach-e, and assume all will experience similar growing pains on the software/Hardware side... doesn't even address the charging network. While i think their car rollouts have been awful i think they have quietly been killing it on the charging network and continue to do so.

I image its been discussed 213413242134 times. The search function since the forums revamp is trash IMO though. Im a Web Dev and Digital Marketer and cant stand this CMS. I figured what the hell. Someone will tell me its been stated, and tell it again. LOL. Thanks for the heads up. Just doesnt make sense doing financing now but like stated above, I dont want to hold up the process.
I think you might be a touch underestimating it. ;)

When your car is closer to delivery, YOU won't be the part that holds up the process. Once you get a VIN you can ask an SA when to expect it, then get the ball rolling as need be.

Searching through this forum isn't as easy as one would hope but lightyears ahead of what forums on Facebook have to go through.

VW Group, in my humble opinion, will be a mainstream auto maker that can make noise.
This. So much, this. They're still learning what it takes to make a good EV, but once they do, Tesla will have a hard time competing with the industrial machine that is VW group. Even with the factories completed that are being built now, Tesla is looking at a couple million units a year, tops. VW group can churn out 10M/yr. It's hard to compete with that volume, even if margins are better. Not saying they're going away, but it would be foolish to rest idly thinking their dominance will continue.

The big advantage Tesla has (that I think they can maintain) is the power/$$ ratio and overall value. Looking at makers like Porsche, Audi, and others, they aren't interested in bringing insanely fast cars or cars that offer a lot of tech to market for reasonable prices, likely because it would absolutely crater their other sales. Tesla doesn't have to worry about fitting the performance models into a hierarchy of car performance, so we get things like 0-60 times of 3.1 s in a $65k car, which is absolutely bonkers to the rest of the car world.

While i agree, and want to tell myself this as welI(competition is good), I think many overlook the Supercharging network, Hardware(specifically motors/gearsets), and Software. Tesla has a LARGE lead, i'm already hearing some rumblings of problems with the Mustang Mach-e, and assume all will experience similar growing pains on the software/Hardware side... doesn't even address the charging network. While i think their car rollouts have been awful i think they have quietly been killing it on the charging network and continue to do so.
I agree on the superchargers, though there are a LOT of EA stations out there. They may be poorly maintained now but if they have more vehicles to serve that could change quickly.

So along with others my ETA has finally updated after being MIA for months. LR blue/black/19" ordered 2/28 now showing Aug...Im in NE FL....I guess its progress but still later then i was hoping....Also prob doesnt mean much and will change 10 more times
Where are you in NE FL? I ordered mid Jan pre-refresh and mine just updated to Aug today also. Such BS that people ordering Plaids last month are getting delivery before someone who ordered the old Model S

I think you might be a touch underestimating it. ;)

When your car is closer to delivery, YOU won't be the part that holds up the process. Once you get a VIN you can ask an SA when to expect it, then get the ball rolling as need be.

Searching through this forum isn't as easy as one would hope but lightyears ahead of what forums on Facebook have to go through.

Oh thats a biblical fact in regard to the FB statement. Point taken! LOL

This. So much, this. They're still learning what it takes to make a good EV, but once they do, Tesla will have a hard time competing with the industrial machine that is VW group. Even with the factories completed that are being built now, Tesla is looking at a couple million units a year, tops. VW group can churn out 10M/yr. It's hard to compete with that volume, even if margins are better. Not saying they're going away, but it would be foolish to rest idly thinking their dominance will continue.

The big advantage Tesla has (that I think they can maintain) is the power/$$ ratio and overall value. Looking at makers like Porsche, Audi, and others, they aren't interested in bringing insanely fast cars or cars that offer a lot of tech to market for reasonable prices, likely because it would absolutely crater their other sales. Tesla doesn't have to worry about fitting the performance models into a hierarchy of car performance, so we get things like 0-60 times of 3.1 s in a $65k car, which is absolutely bonkers to the rest of the car world.
I could not agree more. 100%
My thoughts are over the next 10 years they’re Audi A and S Lines will go EV. We’ll see EV S and RSs that will be in that speed range. They’re also entirely capable of building out a charging network. I could be 1000% wrong but Germany is very progressive with green energy and VW is just massive.

Where are you in NE FL? I ordered mid Jan pre-refresh and mine just updated to Aug today also. Such BS that people ordering Plaids last month are getting delivery before someone who ordered the old Model S
Exactly! Its garbage and frustrating. I am actually by the towncenter. So pretty close to you! I am just waiting to see if this date sticks or changes again....

I could not agree more. 100%
My thoughts are over the next 10 years they’re Audi A and S Lines will go EV. We’ll see EV S and RSs that will be in that speed range. They’re also entirely capable of building out a charging network. I could be 1000% wrong but Germany is very progressive with green energy and VW is just massive.
Audi just announced they're going all EV within a few years.

Audi just announced they're going all EV within a few years.

WOW!
Honestly just seeing this now. Thanks for sharing this. 5 years is aggressive but if anyone can do it.

They have not been doing great, but we can start talking when one of these start-up Tesla competitors actually starts shipping vehicles. They haven't even started dealing with all the production stuff Tesla has been sorting out for years.

IMO the real pressure on Tesla is going to be from traditional automakers going electric. Those guys have a lot more experience shipping cars.
Exactly and, as an example, Daimler (who, yes, owns Mercedes but is also involved in much larger transportation ventures like building trains) recently invested $170 million into the battery tech company I mentioned. New battery technology is going to transform far more than just the automotive industry and it's on the horizon.