Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ll bite -

what are the pros and cons (besides cost) of doing a full car ppf wrap vs a Bra only?

I priced out full Xpel ppf, paint correction, ceramic. The local place wants $9K. Ouchy. But on my M3P I had lots of gouges from rocks and scratches on the rear and sides from normal use. So considering this huge sum as an option.
Would this add $9k to the resale value? If not, it's just for your own enjoyment. I personally can't see spending 10% of the cars cost just to avoid paint chips.

I was reading comments under some post at FB group and found interesting thoughts:

Attachments

• 99281BE9-350D-4C44-876C-04CE2D2AF076.jpeg
    99281BE9-350D-4C44-876C-04CE2D2AF076.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 78
I was reading comments under some post at FB group and found interesting thoughts:
That is true, in most quarters and years. But international refreshed Model S shipments will not start till 2022. Just use the designer and change the locale.

Edit someone in this thread in Australia has a reservation on order and it originally said beginning of 2022 and now says end of 2022.

I've always wondered about the costs for such a job. Do you know the ball park quotes?
On the East Coast, its not uncommon for a full PPF wrap of a sedan to be in the $4k (very low) range on up to around $7k is about highest Ive heard.
But PPF vs Vinyl is different. I have heard that vinyl is thinner than PPF so the labor is less? Not sure.

Dont get me wrong, I def see the benefit of PPF. But at the price point where its at and how much its worth at resale time...a full wrap just isnt for me. Not after I've owned so many cars over the years that never seemed to....need it?

Also, I've seen cars with PPF fronts and not 100% of every rock impact ends up in the PPF being 100% "healed" after the impact. Meaning, there will be nicks in the PPF. And you wont really know if that nick went through to the paint until (im guessing) the PPF is removed at some point. But meanwhile, you are driving around with what you got the PPF for, to begin with: visual imperfections via nicks in your hood/bumper's PPF. And unlike paint, you cant carefully and methodically touch up PPF like you can paint.

But again..truly to each his own. I fully support anyone who spends whatever they want on THEIR car.

Last edited:
Okay, all my ducks are in a row and I'm ready to take delivery this Sunday (if it happens ;-)

Up to know, I've only driven my 1997 A4 Audi Manual so I'm going to be like Encino Man in this car... I'm watching the videos, reading Omar's great website... What else do I need to do/know before Sunday??

Also, off topic but I live in an apartment and do not have the ability to install a charger so I'll be relying on SuCs for all my power. There are several in my area incl. a V3. How much is SuC'ing all the time going to degrade the battery? Will it help if I vary it with slower Chargepoint, et.al. stations...

(And yes, I know many will think I'm crazy to have an EV without at home charging capabilities but my husband and I have discussed the difficulties of the situation and are still committed to an EV for environmental reasons... )

Okay, all my ducks are in a row and I'm ready to take delivery this Sunday (if it happens ;-)

Up to know, I've only driven my 1997 A4 Audi Manual so I'm going to be like Encino Man in this car... I'm watching the videos, reading Omar's great website... What else do I need to do/know before Sunday??

Also, off topic but I live in an apartment and do not have the ability to install a charger so I'll be relying on SuCs for all my power. There are several in my area incl. a V3. How much is SuC'ing all the time going to degrade the battery? Will it help if I vary it with slower Chargepoint, et.al. stations...

(And yes, I know many will think I'm crazy to have an EV without at home charging capabilities but my husband and I have discussed the difficulties of the situation and are still committed to an EV for environmental reasons... )
Congrats!
Dont worry excessively about the battery degradation. Tesla has said its oK to supercharge often. And you still have the 8k 150k mile battery warranty. If it degrades excessively, Tesla has to replace it..

@sflgator @AnselmDante

LOL - do you punks remember our conversation from, like, 60 days ago?

😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

• Funny
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Would this add $9k to the resale value? If not, it's just for your own enjoyment. I personally can't see spending 10% of the cars cost just to avoid paint chips.
Agreed 100%
Wraps and Ceramic stuff does not add anything to the car resale value and people who put it in their listing, as if they deserve to get that money back, only manage to make the visitors of their listing cringe at their pathetic attempt. Don't think it's worth it to get any wraps for paint protection but that's just my opinion. If spending 8-9k on something that doesn't add any value to your car is your cup of tea so be it.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
After saying IDGAF earlier in this very thread, I'm getting PPF on the whole car next week. Please ridicule me, because I deserve it.

But also help me decide whether I want 'xpel stealth', which is matte/satin, or normal xpel, which keeps the car glossy. I truly can't decide if the matte look is 'dated' or still looks good.

here's the video that made me consider satin/matte..

react 💡 for gloss
react ❤️ for matte
I had mine done last week, picked it up yesterday. I got XPEL Ultimate, in the shop was a completed Black Refreshed MS in stealth. Personally, I am happy with my choice, the shine is beautiful. The Stealth looks really cool but it stands out and I don‘t need mine to stand out any more than it does. I have a new Black MS, I did use stealth for the mirrors and door handles and powder coated the wheels satin as well. The contrast looks amazing.

It’s more than that just a protection of the paint. The combination of a good PPF and Ceramic coating will make your car look better than it did when you took delivery and will look the same way for years to come. Thats what you are paying for and for me, well worth it.

I’ll bite -

what are the pros and cons (besides cost) of doing a full car ppf wrap vs a Bra only?

I priced out full Xpel ppf, paint correction, ceramic. The local place wants $9K. Ouchy. But on my M3P I had lots of gouges from rocks and scratches on the rear and sides from normal use. So considering this huge sum as an option.
I am guessing this is OCDetailing since thats the price I got too. There are other reputable shops which will get the job done for less and they will be just as good.
I didn't opt for the full car and went for the full front instead including the A pillars due to 1) cost 2) front is the most high impact area. From my previous experience, I have had rock chips all over the front but not so much on the rest of the body. Avoiding getting rock chips was reason enough for me to not repeat the mistake of not getting one for my other cars.

Last edited: