Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few words about tire grip.

Yes, in a Newtonian sense, the coefficient of friction is unitless and determined by the constant properties of the 2 materials in contact and the force applied to them. In this perfect case, the grip is constant regardless of area in contact as long as the force remains constant. In this mental exercise the blocks are flat and do not change shape or properties.

However, tires aren't blocks in a lab. It's obvious and intuitive if you watch any kind of motorsports that wider tires do indeed give you more grip. They also last longer. I won't fully explain why but consider this first, rubber (especially race rubber) heats, deforms and flows. Now visualize the pavement, it's not smooth. It has nooks and crannies that the gooey mess of rubber can flow into and press against like a foothold or ledge. A rock climber doesn't stick to El Capitan without tiny ledges. The more rubber can get into these crannies, the more it can grip outside of it's straight coefficient of friction. The wider the better.

The harder and colder the tire compound is, the more Newtonian the behavior will be. The hotter and softer the compound, the more other factors come into play.

Quick addition:

Even in the simplified Newtonian definition, you can increase coefficient of friction by making the compound softer and compensate for wear by making it wider.... see how that works too.

Last edited:
Are you planning on mounting /unmounting the winter tires on the stock 19” rims? I did that for one season and decided it was worth spending $1200 on aftermarket wheels(Slipstream copy) and have the whole set ready to install in my garage at a moments notice. Also gives you the option for a narrower wheel/tire, as long at it clears everything. I don’t encounter deep snow so I did not go narrow, for ice having a bigger contact patch with the studless ice tires seems to work better.
I'm thinking of either keeping stock 19" rims for winter tires and aftermarket 20" for summer (but that means having to get rid of original tires), or finding workable rims and tires for winter. Lots of deep snow where I drive so looking for an appropriate solution. I do my my own wheel swaps as well, made easy with the motorized hoist I put together.

Attachments

• 20210714_184643.jpg
    20210714_184643.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 53

Not sure what’s more immature, whining about a company stating you’ll get a vehicle in June, a week for someone to even reach out to you after placing your order to only then tell you “maybe October”……… or……. Thinking you have some sort of superiority due to a much longer suffering.

Ok, young blood. Sigh. If only parents taught their millennial children some patience and respect instead of giving them participation trophies every time they cried...

Ok, young blood. Sigh. If only parents taught their millennial children some patience and respect instead of giving them participation trophies every time they cried...
If you told me the car is coming in October when I ordered then I would patiently wait until October. But when I order it and it says June, sorry but that’s a whole different story. Maybe you’re just too old to comprehend.

Absolutely aftermarket is a good option. But many of us just want that off-the-lot, stock feel, with the best tires around. Count me in. I wouldn't expect too different of a 1/4 mile time with 10lbs off per wheel, but look forward to people trying! They said the same thing with the Model 3 Performance and the 20s vs 18s, and the 20s are pulling pretty much identical times.
My Raven is .1 second quicker in 0 to 60 with Signature 19" which are 8# lighter each. I held the record on dragy until the Plaid came along.

While my SA is not giving me the good news I decided to relocate wall connector and make tesla fame wall.

People on this list have the cleanest garages! I had a remote service guy come for my current S and spent like half a day trying to make the garage presentable 😅

Whenever I get mine, I'm going to have to drive it somewhere nice to take photos

Does anyone have any tips on identifying source location of wind noise if I'm mostly driving solo and won't be able to get another person in the car for a while?

I am getting a high-pitched (almost whistling) wind noise when driving at 65-70mph in straight stretches of freeway. Does not occur in bends/curves or at any lower speeds. It is coming from somewhere in the front passenger side of things but since I am driving alone, I am unable to isolate. Any ideas?
The little triangular piece of glass by the corner of the a-pillar was a bit wobbly on my car, which lead to wind noise--maybe the same?

Maybe Tesla knows you are ageist?
Not an ageist. You started with the millennial jabs at me, I’m just pointing out your handicaps that could simply be caused by your old age. It’s okay buddy we still like you. No one is going to judge you for wearing depends to protect your Tesla seats.

Not an ageist. You started with the millennial jabs at me, I’m just pointing out your handicaps that could simply be caused by your old age. It’s okay buddy we still like you. No one is going to judge you for wearing depends to protect your Tesla seats.

God, I want to keep this going so bad, but I'm getting bored. 😂

Someone else wanna tell him?

Bro, I'm just pulling your chain. I don't know why you got so offended. 😭

I'm probably younger than you are 😂

It’s possible, in which case I stand by my comment from a couple of pages ago about the generation behind us 😅

Haha if I could double like I would. I had to mute that dude long ago going though this almost same thing lmao.

At about the time I wrote this post (Wiki - Model S Delivery Update) I cried to my SA about how I no longer have my primary car to drive and here's his response

"I’ve been checking our system almost everyday in hopes of finding a more specific time frame for your vehicle. Our factory scheduling team politely confirms you are on the priority list each time I reach out to them.
They are working as quickly as humanly possible to provide your and other Plaid+ customer’s their vehicle.
Your patience greatly appreciated."

Hopefully what he says is true and the Plaid+ converts will get our cars soon 🤞🏻

Ah, to be young, arrogant, and impatient...sigh...
The only good thing that came out of Tesla BSing a June delivery when I ordered in May, is that I got it for 10k less than now.
But if I knew, prob, September, then I may have passed as the value of my Model 3 trade-in may drop by then. That was a driving factor.

But since I’m saving 10k by waiting, I can’t complain too much. (Gen Xer in me).