Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked pointedly if Tesla had 19” wheels/tires when they promised + to Plaid customers June delivery.
I was told they did but something beyond their control precluded them from shipping 19s thus the 21s only.

No, I did not ask what “something” was as it was none of my business.
I'd like to say it was the profit monster, but I doubt it. I truly think there was a problem - and a lot more than just a color - that caused (is causing) the 19" delays. Purely speculating, but I know the EOQ push was a real thing.
I STILL think most if not all of the "dusty 450" may have 19" wheel components that may not be swappable with 21" components without a lot of effort - so I am supposing they're gathering dust until the dam breaks loose and the great 19" tidal wave is released.
I know there are some drone photos of what looks like component issues; my pure speculation is the original 19" wheels had an issue with the metal and they were cracking or deforming.
My buddy is a metallurgical engineer, and I remember in college he 'splained to me a goal on an airplane wing, for example, is that it cracks (well we don't want that) but that it cracks versus just shearing right off.
My prediction is the original 19" production was out of spec.
if it was JUST color, I suppose the SA could say, "we have one here, with off color wheels, want them or not?" - and even then, it could be a matter of replacing the aero covers for 90% coverage of a miscolor.
again, just my .02

I'd like to say it was the profit monster, but I doubt it. I truly think there was a problem - and a lot more than just a color - that caused (is causing) the 19" delays. Purely speculating, but I know the EOQ push was a real thing.
I STILL think most if not all of the "dusty 450" may have 19" wheel components that may not be swappable with 21" components without a lot of effort - so I am supposing they're gathering dust until the dam breaks loose and the great 19" tidal wave is released.
I know there are some drone photos of what looks like component issues; my pure speculation is the original 19" wheels had an issue with the metal and they were cracking or deforming.
My buddy is a metallurgical engineer, and I remember in college he 'splained to me a goal on an airplane wing, for example, is that it cracks (well we don't want that) but that it cracks versus just shearing right off.
if it was JUST color, I suppose the SA could say, "we have one here, with off color wheels, want them or not?" - and even then, it could be a matter of replacing the aero covers for 90% coverage of a miscolor.
again, just my .02
Very interesting synopsis! 100% agree with you.

again, just my .02
Well we did have that one user @dfinn1 with 19" order get a VIN then lose it because of some issue they had with the wheels so it'd definitely fit your theory

I feel as if 19s were an issue, they should’ve either communicated it with the customers and allowed them to upgrade to 21s or comped them all 21s and made it right to take care of those who might continue to buy their cars when there’s finally competition. Customer retention could make or break a company.

Also let’s face it, the price mark up between LR and Plaid is really nothing more than an extra motor and peacocking rights. Production cost of Plaid over LR is probably a fraction of what they charge in MSRP.

Also let’s face it, the price mark up between LR and Plaid is really nothing more than an extra motor and peacocking rights. Production cost of Plaid over LR is probably a fraction of what they charge in MSRP.
Alright peeps, let's not get all bent out of shape, it's just a comment. We've already addressed the differences. :)

I feel as if 19s were an issue, they should’ve either communicated it with the customers and allowed them to upgrade to 21s or comped them all 21s and made it right to take care of those who might continue to buy their cars when there’s finally competition. Customer retention could make or break a company.

Concur: Tesla's communication with those that pay their salaries is beyond atrocious, it's just plain rude. Terrible company on many levels, but with great products.

As for the cost delta in the two Model S's, please see #38,881--it's closer to a $7k difference, most likely, in production cost. Throw in another few $k for warranty expenses, and the slightly different seats, let's call it $10k.

As a TSLA shareholder I'm pleased.

As a buyer, I flabbergasted.

No one's getting 19s until late August that's for sure. Not a single delivery with 19s made or even has a delivery date window as far as I know. It very well might a business decision to continue to deliver 21s but who knows. Tesla does what Tesla wants lol we just have to bend over and take it since the competition sucks at offering a viable competitive product. Apparently order 21s with black/cream interior and you can still get it in July :mad:
The whole 19" situation is just bad business for so many reasons:
Changing the standard wheels 1 day prior to the start of deliveries.
All the cars ordered with the 19" wheels get delayed for at least 2 months.
Only deliveries happening are cars with the upgraded wheels.
Tesla doesn't communicate with the waiting 19" customers about what's going on.
Reservation holders can not upgrade their wheels otherwise they'll have to pay more due to the price increase.
Reservation holders try to reach out to the company for answers, and nobody knows anything and/or calls are not returned.
The waiting customers get to read about how great the car is and watch videos of 21" folks enjoying their refresh...
Lmao but I'm still hangin in there... I seriously can't imagine another car company getting away with this type of nonsense ha

You appear confused. The mild tangent in this thread came about when someone abandoned their Model S order for some POS ICE vehicle that risks our planet with each turn of the engine, every trip to the grocery store, every oil change, every single time it's used.

Somehow, being well informed on this massive, planetary-scale threat we face, and wanting to leave a usable planet behind for others to enjoy, becomes a pejorative "virtue signaling tree hugger" in your world?

That's peculiar, at best.

It's obvious that you and others need to get a LOT smarter, STAT, on the threat; if you did so then you wouldn't be so flippant and cavalier. Science, physics, chemistry--none care what you believe.

They just are.

Recommend beginning here:

p.s. The many myths you hear from the fossil fuel supported talking heads on Fox "News" editorial programs are refuted here:

Thank you for joining the class of informed citizens.
Do you make friends easily? Because you seem perpetually angry and aggressive. I promise you, nobody is impressed with you. You've been told by approximately 50 people here (yes hyperbole) that most pretty much agree with your perspective to varying degrees. What I think we mostly all disagree with is your atrocious attitude and condescension to every single person that engages with you. It also appears you have a difficult time recognizing a little comical sarcasm. Perhaps you need a hug or you could hug a tree?

PS not everyone who remotely pushes back on you is a "FOX news fan" and not everyone who agrees with you isn't. Maybe a little personal growth is in order?

Glad I made use of the ignore button when he first started this crap. I highly recommend.
2021-07-20T132207.png

You're right, it totally was conjecture and I sincerely hope I am wrong but like I said in my other comment I will believe it when I will see it. Because so far broken promises, poor communication and garbage business practices have been the only consistent things from Tesla.
You mean aside from producing the best cars in the world?

Or, perhaps the LR is priced too low, considering it is less expensive than its most direct competitor (performance-wise), the Taycan Turbo. And the Plaid is priced too low compared to the Taycan Turbo S, as well.

The Plaid is as unnecessary as every performance car that came before it, and every performance car that will come after it, but that's not really the point.

The difference is this time I can (and did) haul furniture home from IKEA with my stupidly fast car.

Recommend more than just a superficial think on this.

Not all GHG dumping is the same: for some, such as ground transport, home and light industry electrical needs, everyone needs to STOP dumping GHG's. For other GHG dumping, such as rockets and long-distance aviation, GHG dumping is the ONLY alternative, FOR NOW.

If you can't/don't understand the difference, I recommend some training in physics, aerodynamics, and basic, logical thinking. Or, just stay on the wrong side of the bell curve, but, please, don't have any offspring.

For aviation, physics is a limfac as energy density is a major obstacle, but the trends are good and in the correct direction:

When I get home tonight, I'm going to roll the gas powered generator out of the garage (the one I have for power outages), and just let it run till I get up in the morning.

Recommend you learn the difference between "good" and "bad" GHG dumping.

GHG dumping from Elon's Gulfstream G650 would be "GOOD, VERY GOOD" because he's advancing an important cause (or twenty), such as making us a multi-planetary species, while also speeding our transition toward sustainable transport. It appears that he too is a "hypocrite" in your limited understanding of these nuances, correct? Or would you prefer he stay at home (preferably a yurt), or walk, or ride the train, or ________?

Lastly, while I realize that throwing rocks at others likely makes some feel better about their poor, if not grossly irresponsible choices, it is inappropriate to attack facts and science with such "arguments." It's just reflects on the paucity of your rebuttal: you have none.

Recommend another read of these two:

ad hominem​

You attacked your opponent's character or personal traits in an attempt to undermine their argument.​

Ad hominem attacks can take the form of overtly attacking somebody, or more subtly casting doubt on their character or personal attributes as a way to discredit their argument. The result of an ad hom attack can be to undermine someone's case without actually having to engage with it.

Example: After Sally presents an eloquent and compelling case for a more equitable taxation system, Sam asks the audience whether we should believe anything from a woman who isn't married, was once arrested, and smells a bit weird.

And:

no true scotsman​

You made what could be called an appeal to purity as a way to dismiss relevant criticisms or flaws of your argument.​

In this form of faulty reasoning one's belief is rendered unfalsifiable because no matter how compelling the evidence is, one simply shifts the goalposts so that it wouldn't apply to a supposedly 'true' example. This kind of post-rationalization is a way of avoiding valid criticisms of one's argument.

Thank you--we need a LOT more people on the correct side of the bell curve; please join us.
In a forum of mostly older, educated, successful people, you are attempting to talk down to all of us. This illusion of superiority you have is very entertaining. Please continue.

Pricing is more than just COGS + profit margin. One of the things that goes into the mix is amortizing the R&D needed to develop the product and there would appear to be quite a bit sunk into developing and manufacturing those carbon sleeved rotors.

well, my SA does not give two shits about my order and completely ignores all of my communication attempts. Who are these SAs that are going out of their way to find out if your car is in "production planning" or "slotted for production" lol good for you guys :rolleyes:
Do they still work for Tesla? I don’t have a SA. My EDD is still October.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid