Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve got 16 years on you and I’m finally getting accustomed to it after about 400 miles of mostly in town driving. For me the turn signals and horn are the biggest issues.
Do you ever use Plaid mode? While it’s fun to see reaction videos, I doubt that I’d ever floor it. I’m too worried about my spinal cord snapping, nerve damage, and/or embarrassing leakage. Some of my friends are over 80.

I’ve got 16 years on you and I’m finally getting accustomed to it after about 400 miles of mostly in town driving. For me the turn signals and horn are the biggest issues.
I know there are other threads for this, but replying anyway. I love the form factor of the yoke. Sure, I would rather have stalks for turn signals, but can learn and live with it. The only thing that makes zero sense to me, is why they made that tiny horn button, or the "lay your hand over all the buttons" for the horn. The horn is made to prevent accidents, not for fun or traffic (this is the law, not just an opinion). The horn should be at the center, under the airbag, and ready to slam when needed, like every frickin' other car on the planet. This was a totally stupid move on Tesla's part. Nothing progressive or revolutionary about it.

Hi, as I get my bank account set up to transfer money to Tesla on delivery, I notice that they are now using the interbank transfer system called "Plaid" (no relation to the car I guess). That system requires putting your bank account log in info into the system. I have read about Plaid, and it does seem to be widely used, but I wondered if anyone here had an opinion on it, positive or negative?
Thanks!
[note, this system is asking for not only account number and bank routing number, but also your account login credentials--this last part is new to me]
Plaid thus far is really not quite 'widely used'. Probably their largest customer is Stripe. Their entire business is pretty much API standardization and simplification, so it appeals to startups and smaller entities that tend to be short fo financial systems expertise. From our perspective they skip the direst account confirmation verification steps that are the traditional methods and substitute direct customer access data. They use the same approach as the data aggregators do.

That means that anybody taking payments through them has ceded almost all control to the entity debiting the account, since from your own financial institution perspective it is you yourself doing the transaction.

In other words making a payment though them it is impossible to protest a payment with your own institution. The customer is liable for a fraudulent transaction if the customer gave full login credentials to a third party.

There are many easy payment processes that allow one to control their own payments. I personally would neither recommend them to a Fintech nor a consumer.
As a merchant if their customers allow it, I might do it. However even a merchant is 100% dependent on their systems integrity and freedom from hacking. That is a large risk with an auto purchase, for example.

Other people have different views. I will not ever use such a system.
FWIW, I have consulted with several major institutions regarding payment systems fraud, on both credit card, bank account and brokerage account subjects.
100% explicitly reject any liability at all for any fraud which happens because customer login credential have been given to a third party. Check litigation histories if you doubt that. This is a worldwide problem, growing regularly. Solutions like Plaid are simply not safe to use.

I am very sad Tesla would accept such a solution.

Proves the point that 21" wheels are strictly for people who prefer looks over actual functionality or advantages.
Absolutely, count me in as one those people. I very much care about how the car looks and undersized 19" wheels with hubcaps and balloon tires don't do it for me. On the other hand, I will likely go to 20x10 and 20x11 with 285/305 as they will be the most performance oriented.

Absolutely, count me in as one those people. I very much care about how the car looks and undersized 19" wheels with hubcaps and balloon tires don't do it for me. On the other hand, I will likely go to 20x10 and 20x11 with 285/305 as they will be the most performance oriented.
Same, I was 100% for the 19s and I would probably be if they were still metal slipstream for example but i really don't want hubcaps on a $100K car - embarrassing a bit to explain that one. Range is still plenty enough.

Got a call from Telsa today to give me an update on delivery timeline, no changes still Nov 17th-Dec 7th. The rep did tell me that they are prioritizing Plaid deliveries for the time being, no shock there. His exact words are the thing that is holding your MS order up most is that it's the LR and not plaid. He mentioned that he isn't sure whether they would be offering the upgrade without the 10k increase in price for EOQ orders to deliver cars. I mentioned I would potentially be interested if I could upgrade without the 10k being tacked on. Still on the fence but I'd consider it at least.

Last note was that they are just a blind as us to the monkey behind the scene and calling in asking about a change to the order will be as much news to them as it was to you when you logged into your account.

Plaid thus far is really not quite 'widely used'. Probably their largest customer is Stripe. Their entire business is pretty much API standardization and simplification, so it appeals to startups and smaller entities that tend to be short fo financial systems expertise. From our perspective they skip the direst account confirmation verification steps that are the traditional methods and substitute direct customer access data. They use the same approach as the data aggregators do.

That means that anybody taking payments through them has ceded almost all control to the entity debiting the account, since from your own financial institution perspective it is you yourself doing the transaction.

In other words making a payment though them it is impossible to protest a payment with your own institution. The customer is liable for a fraudulent transaction if the customer gave full login credentials to a third party.

There are many easy payment processes that allow one to control their own payments. I personally would neither recommend them to a Fintech nor a consumer.
As a merchant if their customers allow it, I might do it. However even a merchant is 100% dependent on their systems integrity and freedom from hacking. That is a large risk with an auto purchase, for example.

Other people have different views. I will not ever use such a system.
FWIW, I have consulted with several major institutions regarding payment systems fraud, on both credit card, bank account and brokerage account subjects.
100% explicitly reject any liability at all for any fraud which happens because customer login credential have been given to a third party. Check litigation histories if you doubt that. This is a worldwide problem, growing regularly. Solutions like Plaid are simply not safe to use.

I am very sad Tesla would accept such a solution.
Thanks for this information. It certainly strikes me poorly. Last year when I got my wife's MY, I did a bank transfer, but it did not require giving my login information to Tesla or Plaid. I'll go the bring a check route if that is the only alternative now for at-delivery payment.

Well placed my order in January model s plaid + it auto converted to plaid in June trading in my current m3p 4K miles delivery estimates have been all over the place got trade in value 7-18 was happy with the offer but what do you know it expired 5 days before delivery appointment re-evaluated offer mind you 30 days and 800 miles 6500.00 less than original offer 🤦🏼‍♂️