Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know, does Tesla ever adjust the car prices downwards?
There was a post so many pages back, that suggested the new LR's going forward could be more expensive by $10k or more - thus our cars sort of instantly jump in value as a resale.
If the hikes are true, and the cars hold their value, that statement would be true - but if they have occasional price drops, then all bets could be off.
Thoughts?
Absolutely they will. This year has been horrific parts shortages, chip shortages etc.. Once that stuff is over, the prices will drop again. There are 3 main reasons that the prices have gone up: 1, to control demand due to the production ramp, and 2, to control demand because the part shortages are bottlenecking production, and 3, to counter the skyrocketing prices of raw materials. Once these issues have been mitigated, prices will absolutely drop again. The LR I see going up in price again to end up being around 100k, and the Plaid I actually see dropping, due to the less people ordering it. Eventually Tesla will likely start backing off the LR, and will drop it. When Lucid's Air Pure goes on sale with its $69,900 price, that's when I would hope to see $69,420 back. But that's quite a while out.

Last edited:
I don’t know if you’ve ever seen Tesla ‘Signature Red’… my favorite color of any car.
I saw one when I was driving home from the SC a couple days ago and WOW. It’s sooo nice. Wish that color was an option.
I've seen a picture of one. Looked much better in the picture than the brand new 2018 red I looked at in 2018 of course. Still not in the ballpark with the Lexus matador mica red on a Lexus, but much better looking than the red model S I looked at. That car's paint was just bland, like a plain jane Toyota. In fact, at the time I had a 2012 red Camry XLE hybrid that I called my beater. It had that kind of paint. I took it into a body shop where they wet sanded it and it looked FAR superior, but still not in the league with my Lexus, which at that time was a 2007 but looked brand new! Traded the 2007 in on a 2017 Lexus and side by side, they both looked brand new if you just looked at the paint and not the body style. Ended up trading both the 2017 in on the 2018 Lexus. I would LOVE to see the signature red in person. Doubt if I ever will. But if Lexus brought it back, I would give serious thought to that instead of the blue Plaid I'm planning on in 2022. Fingers crossed they will have the 4680's by then. That's what I'm really waiting on.

Still incorrectly named. Speed is a constant. Acceleration is a rate of change. I don't believe any police department has an accelerometer that can measure my rate of change. It's a judgement call, based solely on what they have decided is excessive.

Why is this even a thing? If there is one car at a red light, and as I approach at full speed it turns green, am I in violation of "Exhibition of speed" as I fly by the stationary vehicle? I've never been ticketed for this, but I would be curious how the violation would be proven if I chose to debate it in traffic court. I wonder if they have a "rate of change" threshold they can prove I exceeded.
While I agree and you are technically correct, it all boils down to getting a ticket because the officer was pissed off. He believes you are a jack a$$ for putting the public in harms way, as he sees it. Therefore, he's going to punish you for your vulgar display of acceleration because he perceives it to be a danger to everyone else in the vicinity.

My delivery estimate just jumped from November 20 - December 10 to September 20 - September 30. Fingers crossed they mean this year.

Plaid/white/white/cf/21s.

March 8 order date. RN1146.

Update on my Tesla account today…somehow it’s back to Est Delivery Sept 20-30. Yay! It was 9/20-9/30 for a couple weeks and then had changed to 10/6-10/20 a few days ago.

Let’s see if I actually get a VIN in the next few days; if not, then it’s all bs and inaccurate. But at least we’re supposedly moving forward to backward! 🙏🏻👍🏻😎
@sflgator I think you stole my car! My date just got bumped from 9/20-9/30 to 11/19-12/09. 😞

Edit: Or did you steal the car back that I stole from you? 🤔

Absolutely they will. This year has been horrific parts shortages, chip shortages etc.. Once that stuff is over, the prices will drop again. There are 3 main reasons that the prices have gone up: 1, to control demand due to the production ramp, and 2, to control demand because the part shortages are bottlenecking production, and 3, to counter the skyrocketing prices of raw materials. Once these issues have been mitigated, prices will absolutely drop again. The LR I see going up in price again to end up being around 100k, and the Plaid I actually see dropping, due to the less people ordering it. Eventually Tesla will likely start backing off the LR, and will drop it. When Lucid's Air Pure goes on sale with its $69,900 price, that's when I would hope to see $69,420 back. But that's quite a while out.
That entry on Lucid is a single motor option- closer to a model 3 in perf. In addition they have yet to release pricing on any of the options, including the uplift stereo. I canceled my order because they could not give me accurate price indicators of the options. Even with the $7500 rebate it was going to be way more expensive than the LR S and it would be slower.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
That entry on Lucid is a single motor option- closer to a model 3 in perf. In addition they have yet to release pricing on any of the options, including the uplift stereo. I canceled my order because they could not give me accurate price indicators of the options. Even with the $7500 rebate it was going to be way more expensive than the LR S and it would be slower.
Absolutely. I imagine the single motor to be 4 to 5 seconds to 60. Quite a bit decontented compared to the LR MS.

Here you go... Also side by side with the 21"
Thanks for the photos. Your cars are beautiful. Thank God they darkened the 19's, otherwise, these rims would have to be melted down and sold for scrap. Or, maybe just powder-coated. :p
They are not as bad as a feared now that I see them on White. I still think they look better with the covers on them.

Till you get that MOE POWAHHH BABEH! I know I would lol!😁 In all seriousness though, you wouldn't feel it down low. It would be more up top after 80 or so. And I doubt the current Plaid has 1200 in it. I could see 1100, but 1200 is more extreme. 4680s will do that deed.
This is the first time in my life I own a car that I don’t feel needs more power. If they were able to add another 200hp, the car might be too fast for public streets.
I feel like it’s almost too fast for public roads now but it’s pretty awesome tbh. I’m happy I didn’t own this car in my early 20s.

You know I am probably the last person here that would agree that you can have too much power for the streets. But I kinda agree here...LOL. I think the Roadster will be at the limit. Can't wait!

You know I am probably the last person here that would agree that you can have too much power for the streets. But I kinda agree here...LOL. I think the Roadster will be at the limit. Can't wait!
Until you get used to it lol! SW updates FTW! It's all about how it's delivered IMO. I think the 0-60s are pretty much almost done, but there's still room for improvement beyond mid 8s. Not too much though, maybe 8.0 flat or something. In my simple mind lol, there can pretty much never be too much power. Can't wait to see how fast cars get with weight reduction and the power. :)

• Love
Reactions: TorqueMonster
Yes they have dropped the prices many times before. The old model S long range was down to $69,420 before the refresh. I expect the LR to go up another 10k to 100k, stay there until production gets caught up, and then slowly go down to 80k over the next several years. Just a guess though based on nothing.
I think this prediction makes a LOT of sense - I don't know if Tesla changes prices based on supply and demand, or supply costs. I head heard their costs went up. I know Sam Walton (Walmart) used to decide how much something would sell for and how much profit they'd make - and then if too much profit, they'd add something - like a bow to a blouse, etc. - he was targeting certain metrics. Not sure (okay, I doubt) Tesla is as well.
I think as you said, if demand starts to go down, then prices will drop.
Might, MIGHT also be deliberate, to "brag" or showcase the new cells being cheaper, eventually, if that becomes a "thing"
now this is giving me pause - "predict the demand 3 years from now, if i buy the car at the lower price, and go to sell it -- and get hit in the privates if the price is less than I paid for a new one"
thanks again!

thanks, more counterpoint to "buy now, sell at same price in 3 years when prices go up, free car for 3 years"

Until you get used to lol! SW updates FTW! It's all about how it's delivered IMO. I think the 0-60s are pretty much almost done, but there's still room for improvement beyond mid 8s. Not too much though, maybe 8.0 flat or something. In my simple mind lol, there can pretty much never be too much power. Can't wait to see how fast cars get with weight reduction and the power. :)

It will be interesting to watch how the weight drops improve performance as the model progresses. Would certainly think 8's are in the cars. Who knows, maybe some year in the 7's for the roadster model. Now that would be an eye popping performance number that's for sure!! I personally would love to see a 200 MPH trap speed. 😱 🤣

• Love
FINALLY took delivery of our red 19" Plaid yesterday! Left the Portland OR SC with 333 mile on range estimate. I can't envision using a supercharger ever again. We don't do trips and using a ICE truck for the last couple of months has killed any desire to stop anywhere to refill anything. First home charge last night stopped at 351! Not sure how we're gonna use the 1000 referral miles.

Oh yea the acceleration is beyond your imagination. Violent neck snapping is NOT and exaggeration! Did it to the wife twice on the way home. This power is not a stomp on it thing. Just like at the track you'll want to squeeze that throttle. You can squeeze it fast, just don't stomp on it. I went from 60mph to 104 in literally a blink of the eye. The yoke is easy to us but that power will take some getting used to. Chill is not an option. Kind of defeats the plaid decision. I'll change from Plaid to sport and see the difference later today.

Life is good

Still incorrectly named. Speed is a constant. Acceleration is a rate of change. I don't believe any police department has an accelerometer that can measure my rate of change. It's a judgement call, based solely on what they have decided is excessive.

Why is this even a thing? If there is one car at a red light, and as I approach at full speed it turns green, am I in violation of "Exhibition of speed" as I fly by the stationary vehicle? I've never been ticketed for this, but I would be curious how the violation would be proven if I chose to debate it in traffic court. I wonder if they have a "rate of change" threshold they can prove I exceeded.
Next up will be creating a public nuisance.

Another perk of owning a Tesla:

I dropped mine off Tuesday for detailing. I asked if I would be able to have it back by Friday night and he said probably, definitely by Saturday morning. Yesterday evening I called and was told they can not get to it till at least Saturday morning. I threw a mild fit and reminded them I needed the car by Saturday morning.

With any other car I have owned, I would be calling periodically, to inquire and nag about the time frame. With my Tesla app, I can see the vehicle temperature is at 83, while the outside temp is 86. I can also see that the doors are now unlocked, and the locater shows it has moved from the parking lot to inside their facility. No need to call. I can relax, knowing work has clearly started on my detailing.