Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd appreciate knowing too. I guess I need to consider swapping to all season. Although Nashville isn't super cold, it does get to freezing many days in the winter. I might also drive to areas where it is definitely cold. Are there good all seasons (like the Pirelli Zeros all season) that would be good to leave on all year?
I'm guessing Continental ProContact RX, from looking at Tire Rack site.

Just got my car back last night from get PPF’d & tinted, will post more photos and details later today:

1B311614-A9BA-468A-8FCE-A9A53E05AB15.jpeg

Cautionary tale:

I am a cheap bastage and wanted to skip PPF. Have now approx 10k miles since 6/29. Not driving too hard or aggressive - also do not follow closely on the streets. The front lower bumper and rear doors/fenders have severe road rash. The factory PPF helped but definitely came up short and is starting to peel.

I have the PPF being put on next week. They are doing about 2-3 hours of touch up to get a few rock chips off the hood and then get rid of all the road rash.

Should have done this at the start.

ETA: I do not think it is cheap paint that has caused this issue. It is the proud surfaces and the sticky tires. My rover seemed to have softer paint but did not have this issue.

Last edited:
welp now i'm really confused.

RN11394xxxx (VERY early. like the instant ordering was available early, on September 22nd 2020.)
black exterior, white interior, 19" wheels, carbon fibre trim.

initially told "we'll be delivering Q1 2021". Then "July" for a very long time. On August 1st, my delivery date went blank. Then it became February (!!!!)

the "February" bump was very frustrating for me. It will mean i waited a year and a half for my car, and a full year longer than i was initially promised.

yesterday i noticed the estimated delivery date switched from "February" to a specific window in late October / early November. Hooray!!!

But today it is completely blank. :mad:

I understand part shortages but it feels like i am getting repeatedly bumped to the end of the line.

And now, one week after going blank, I have a new estimated delivery date: Estimated Delivery: November 17 - December 07

i guess that's good news?

refresher: I originally ordered at about 6:50pm on September 22nd 2020, right when Elon announced the Plaid. One of the lowest RN's out there. If that delivery estimate holds, I will have waited about 1.2 years for the car. Unfortunately, i ordered the Bingo of problematic options - white interior, 19" wheels, carbon fiber trim.

To be fair, at that event, they stated estimated delivery was "late 2021". But then again they also said the range would be 520 miles. When they scrapped plans to use the 4680s, they bumped the timeline up from Q4 to Q2 2020, but the car lost 130 miles of range (180 miles in the 21" configuration). And from my perspective, since i'm waiting an additional 6 months more than other early buyers anyway, i really wish they hadn't cancelled the so-called "Plaid+" (which was really just the original plan for the Plaid) no matter how much longer it would have taken for production.

Nothing i can do about it of course, and it's still the best car on the planet, even if it is delivering late and well below the originally-promised range specs.

So, this is my 2nd Tesla vehicle. The first was in 2017 and the only options at the time were the S and X. Both were fairly high priced niche vehicles. The starting price of my S was $69,990. That experience was ok. From order to delivery was about 2 weeks but they found an inventory match that met my specs. Was $76,490 before tax as I ordered it...by no means an inexpensive car but about half the price of a fully loaded P100D at the time.

Fast forward to ordering a Plaid the weekend after attending battery day (RN11399). Quite the different experience. Seeing other orders made much later getting deliveries sooner does bite. But the way I see it, this is the first major refresh since 2017 where all you really got was a much better looking (IMO) front fascia and AP2.0 hardware. A lot of those older S owners that can afford a new S I'm guessing ordered. A lot of speed freaks that saw the specs ordered. A lot of people with enough spare cash that want the best of whatever saw the quickest production car ever made also ordered. Tesla also has a lot of additional attention now with the success of the 3 and Y.

Somebody once said that Tesla has democratized performance...anybody with the ability to afford a mid range vehicle can now have one of the quickest accelerating cars on the market with the Model 3. What beats that? The new Model S...and bonus it's a family sedan with storage to spare. Combine that with the global chip and supply line shortage and the known limitations on battery production and it's no wonder some of us are having issues getting our cars.

Depending on your color/trim/wheel/location combo you could be looking at a very confusing delivery estimate if you have one at all. I'm not far from the factory but white/white/carbon/19 seems to be a death knell combo for deliveries.

Sure, it would be fantastic if the SA's would have more information to provide to us. Transparency would help us all understand better when we can expect our cars. Tesla could definitely improve in this area. But in a world of extremely limited supply among one of the most highly demanded vehicles I find it hard to believe the "competition" with their stealership model, desperate to sell one of their aging models already sitting in their lot is in anyway a better system.

We're waiting in line for one of the best vehicles you can possibly purchase at a price unheard of by the incumbents among a global shortage of unprecedented proportions. I can only imagine Tesla is making as many as they can as fast as they can of their highest margin vehicles available. So as they say...patience is a virtue (as I refresh my order page for the 50th time today).
Hey are you available to write a speech for me? 😊 Purchased as you did in 17 and felt like I was nuts to spend so much on a car and then even pondering about Plaid! Thats what driving Tesla's will do to you! GREAT POST!!

Cautionary tale:

I am a cheap bastage and wanted to skip PPF. Have now approx 10k miles since 6/29. Not driving too hard or aggressive - also do not follow closely on the streets. The front lower bumper and rear doors/fenders have severe road rash. The factory PPF helped but definitely came up short and is starting to peel.

I have the PPF being put on next week. They are doing about 2-3 hours of touch up to get a few rock chips off the hood and then get rid of all the road rash.

If possible, would you be able to post up some pics of the current chip damage when you have time? Interested to see what yours looks like at 10k miles. Sounds pretty noticceable

Cautionary tale:

I don't have PPF on my 2018 and haven't noticed much at all (aside from a few tiny specs you need to be up close to see). I intend to put front mudflaps on my car to protect the rear panels when it shows up, but other than that I intend to stay the same. Has the paint gotten more delicate in the past few years?

Cautionary tale:

5th time Tesla owner and have PPF done to our cars within days of delivery. My Saturday delivery is set for Wednesday of next week!!

Been hanging out with Elektra II (Red/Black/19" LR) since delivery yesterday. Still finding out where stuff is. Still calibrating cameras for full experience. Scheduled PPF. (p.s. missing the lower trunk cover like others, but all else was perfect).

Attachments

• IMG_0749[1].JPG
    IMG_0749[1].JPG
    788.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
5th time Tesla owner and have PPF done to our cars within days of delivery. My Saturday delivery is set for Wednesday of next week!!
This was my 2017 that I sold a couple months ago. Had about 13k miles on it. Pics have been compressed by google photos so not the best, and almost any imperfection shown is actually a reflection or glare. But I barely had any stone chips/nicks. No PPF. So maybe something has changed with the refresh?

bumper2.jpg
bumper.jpg

Il y a quelques mois, lorsque la discussion sur TMC à propos de l'été contre AS a commencé, j'ai envoyé un e-mail à SA et lui ai posé des questions à ce sujet. Il m'a assuré qu'ils seraient AS. J'ai fait un suivi plusieurs fois avant la livraison, car il est devenu clair ici que les pneus 19" étaient des pneus été, et j'ai reçu des assurances supplémentaires. Ensuite, le jour de la livraison (8/25), j'ai passé environ une demi-heure à dialoguer avec les représentants, et ils sont allés le rechercher. On aurait dit que c'était la première fois que quelqu'un le questionnait dans mon SC. Ils m'ont dit que les pneus étaient AS et je suis donc parti avec la voiture. Ensuite, j'ai lu un autre article ici sur TMC ce soir-là qui a confirmé qu'ils n'étaient PAS COMME. J'ai donc envoyé un e-mail au technicien post-livraison de SC, et il m'a répondu qu'il pensait qu'ils avaient peut-être livré ma voiture avec les mauvais pneus. Il a fallu une semaine pour le résoudre, car il a déclaré que le problème s'aggravait au sein de Tesla. Hier, j'ai eu la confirmation qu'ils échangeraient mes pneus été contre AS. J'ai demandé combien de temps il faudrait pour que les pneus neufs arrivent et on m'a répondu « deux semaines », bien sûr !
Je suis curieux de savoir quels pneus ils pourront installer ?

Tesla demande à Pirelli de fabriquer des pneus pour ses nouveaux modèles (TO) = Tesla ; (F=Ferrari) , ... etc

Sur la photo du pneu de @MarcG (TO) et 1221 (fabrication 12ème semaine de l'année 2021)

Maintenant, je m'excuse d'avance de mettre le doute dans votre tête et à ceux qui attendent une réponse vivant dans des zones nécessitant un montage AS.

Sauf erreur, il n'y a pas de pneu AS avec un indice de vitesse Y chez Pirelli.

C'est-à-dire obtenir un pneu qui théoriquement n'acceptera pas la puissance du nouveau modèle S

To be continued

Last edited:
I'm curious to know what tires they will be able to install?

Tesla asks Pirelli to build tires for its new models (TO) = Tesla; (F= Ferrari) , ... etc

On the picture of the tire of @MarcG (TO) and 1221 (manufacture 12th week of the year 2022)

Now, I apologize in advance for putting doubt in your head and to those waiting for an answer living in areas requiring AS mounting.

Unless I'm mistaken, there is no AS tire with a Y speed rating at Pirelli.

That is to say, get a tire that theoretically will not accept the power of the new model S

The Elec tire does not have an A/S style. It is either a summer or winter version.

I’ve had my Plaid for 10 days now and I just tried drag strip mode w launch for the first time. I couldn’t find a good long empty straight strip of road so I only went from like 0-80. The car is crazy from any speed but wow, the launch is just another level of awesomeness. I assume I am not the only one who drove around loving the car but just didn’t try launch control.

Sooo if any refresh owners out there have been enjoying the instant torque but haven’t tried the launch control yet, I highly recommend checking it out. Big big smiles 🤩