Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still have yet to see any direct evidence that it is the 10k increase rather than supply shortages. Is it possible that an order was cancelled / rejected after a car shipped to a location, and that car just went to the next person on the list in the area with the exact same config? Sure. Are there other odd situations where someone got to cut the line? Almost certainly...

But I have yet to see a pattern (or even a single instance) where Tesla is putting folks who ordered the exact same config post-price hike in front of those that ordered early on...

Until we see evidence to show this, we should really put an end to this rumor. There are plenty of actual reasons to criticize TSLA, but prioritizing recent orders over their most loyal customers is not one of them...

(not that it should matter... but no, I don't own any TSLA stock)
I don't know if it was $10k or just some random act on part of the delivery team but why would they deliver Plaid ordered on 8/9/21 few days later, to one of our members here, when another one is still waiting on order placed on 9/22/20? Same config. I will not mention names as I am happy for everyone that is getting one. But I can send you that information if you like.
Based on my own order, I can tell you that others took delivery of same configuration or at least have VIN. Again, I am happy for them and I will wait as I have in the past.
I can understand difficulties that all car makers are facing these days, but I cannot fathom the erratic ways Tesla is dealing with deliveries.

It just does this squirming thing on top of the tires that feels like a half speed orbital sander in your hand.

I have yet to figure out if it is my elbow pulling unevenly on the yoke or available grip that causes the car to yaw just a bit requiring correction.

YES! The orbital sander feeling. I'm feeling the same thing until the tires are really warm and I'm looking for max traction.

Re: Having to correct. I found that when I switch from "standard" steering, and "medium" suspension to "sport" and "low", the wandering under full throttle got significantly better. I suspect the steering being in "sport" probably has something to do with it, as I think the wandering may be caused by tiny unintended steering inputs like you suggested.

YES! The orbital sander feeling. I'm feeling the same thing until the tires are really warm and I'm looking for max traction.

Re: Having to correct. I found that when I switch from "standard" steering, and "medium" suspension to "sport" and "low", the wandering under full throttle got significantly better. I suspect the steering being in "sport" probably has something to do with it, as I think the wandering may be caused by tiny unintended steering inputs like you suggested.
I believe it's actually tramlining from torque steer. As smooth as any road may be, with 1020 HP on tap the tires will follow any imperfection on the road. Same effect on hard braking too. So Sport steering dampens the effect as well as less movement in the suspension in Sport mode.

Woohoo! They're dropping my car off at my house at 2pm tomorrow.... then I need to leave at 2:15pm for an appointment.
No stress or anything there, lol...
That's good they got around to calling me, without my plaid I was browsing other ways to peacock around and well... it wasn't pretty!
1630702480959.png

I took delivery of my Plaid last Friday and dropped it off this Monday morning at Mr. Tint in San Jose (thanks again @OnTheSnap for the recommendation!)

In just 4 full days of work, they installed XPEL Ultimate Plus Stealth PPF on the whole car, 35% XPEL XR+ tint on the side windows, and 70% XPEL XR+ tint on the windshield.

Total package was $6695, which is a very decent price for the Bay Area.

And here are the results! I really like how the matte gray and gloss black of the 19” aero covers are reflected in the now-matte paint and shiny “chrome delete”:

5C8B33D4-34EE-4B38-86AA-F44FE1A2013D.jpeg

69397BA6-4404-4B8E-9D7C-B878666CEC39.jpeg

66CF99B8-A25E-4DE5-81A9-96100F762D13.jpeg

077F163E-F1B0-4976-8680-69BC280B55B0.jpeg

84057DFF-FC77-47D9-B62D-EF65E8D8368C.jpeg

E7966805-4B9E-4FC8-988C-F54156D5E391.jpeg

4284AAF1-A3D5-4033-8BC9-E06E9CBF1567.jpeg

B1C36B10-D1EE-4E31-B247-F7D24FDFCE89.jpeg

8560D2F3-EB6F-4DB4-9115-02C959A5DE94.jpeg

And now, one week after going blank, I have a new estimated delivery date: Estimated Delivery: November 17 - December 07

i guess that's good news?

refresher: I originally ordered at about 6:50pm on September 22nd 2020, right when Elon announced the Plaid. One of the lowest RN's out there. If that delivery estimate holds, I will have waited about 1.2 years for the car. Unfortunately, i ordered the Bingo of problematic options - white interior, 19" wheels, carbon fiber trim.

To be fair, at that event, they stated estimated delivery was "late 2021". But then again they also said the range would be 520 miles. When they scrapped plans to use the 4680s, they bumped the timeline up from Q4 to Q2 2020, but the car lost 130 miles of range (180 miles in the 21" configuration). And from my perspective, since i'm waiting an additional 6 months more than other early buyers anyway, i really wish they hadn't cancelled the so-called "Plaid+" (which was really just the original plan for the Plaid) no matter how much longer it would have taken for production.

Nothing i can do about it of course, and it's still the best car on the planet, even if it is delivering late and well below the originally-promised range specs.
So you have an early 2020 order for a black ext MS Plaid w/ white seats/carbon fiber trim & 19" wheels and now your est delivery is 11/17/21 - 12/7/21 while it seems like the MS Plaid orders like mine -- white ext w/ white seats/carbon fiber trim (21" wheels or 19" wheels...probably makes no difference now) seem to be looking at Sept/Oct deliveries.

So, it would seem to me again that this is b/c of their "batch" production runs...like maybe they plan for 1-2 months, say Aug & Sept -- for white ext MS Plaids & LRs w/ white interiors while they plan for black & other ext color MS Plaids & LRs with white seats to go through production runs in Oct & Nov? It also seems like red ext w/ white seats / carbon fiber trim are also being pushed to Oct or Nov deliveries, so maybe they're planning those red ext production runs for Sept or Oct?

Reactions: impastu
Cargo Linter update: As you may recall, I ordered the 3D MaxPider large "Universal" cargo liner from Walmart ($69). Took 15 minutes to cut and install. Looks pretty good for the genuine article @ $69. I think the purchased to fit version will be north of $200, IIRC.

m1.jpg

Attachments

• m3.jpg
    m3.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 47
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I
I don't have much experience with sub 3sec cars. But I did race F2000 cars and instructed for BMWCCA. I also owned a 911TT and a ZR1 (both equal or slower than the LR). I am a former racer. The Plaid would get used a bit. But since it does 0-100mph in 4.5sec, I won't be on the throttle for long before I'm in big trouble here. I will probably hit the drag strip once or twice a year just to annoy the ICE cars and stretch the car's leg a bit.

If I meet someone looking for a run on the highway, I might go at it. But again, get caught once and you're done.

Money is no object(ish), but 50k$Can in my pocket doesn't hurt either. Let's say I can afford it, but 50k$ is not nothing for me. I guess many here are in the same boat.

Definitely that if Tesla delays my car over Oct26, I might change my order.
Similiar thought. I mean, it would be so nice to have that feeling of being top dog each time I get behind the wheel with the plaid. But for me, the LR just ticks off all of the boxes, brings me from 4.2 (previous 90D) to 3.1, improved acceleration at the higher range, gets me the Raven suspension, etc. Plus of course, everything else that comes with the Plaid. (save the over 1k HP).

And to me, its not just the $45k (or whatever), but its $45k that goes backwards (depreciation) instead of forwards (working for me in the market) that I just couldnt stomach. For me it ends up (hopefully) being way more than $45k difference over the next several years.

I'm pretty sure it's the tires. The 21s (or the new Zero G 20s) with the ZR tires are probably good.
Maybe Tesla will allow 19" owners to unlock the extra speed if a SC installs Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires on their 19s.

Edit: or maybe there's a new tire that isn't out yet. I think ZR tires are rated for 186mph, not 200.
Thought we've all put this one to bed already...the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are (Y) rated for > 186mph, no?

I took delivery of my Plaid last Friday and dropped it off this Monday morning at Mr. Tint in San Jose (thanks again @OnTheSnap for the recommendation!)

In just 4 full days of work, they installed XPEL Ultimate Plus Stealth PPF on the whole car, 35% XPEL XR+ tint on the side windows, and 70% XPEL XR+ tint on the windshield.

And here are the results! I really like how the matte gray and gloss black of the 19” aero covers are reflected in the now-matte paint and shiny “chrome delete”:

View attachment 704855
View attachment 704853
View attachment 704850
View attachment 704847
View attachment 704848
View attachment 704849
View attachment 704851
View attachment 704852
View attachment 704854
Man, that car makes even those hubcaps look good!

View attachment 704855
View attachment 704853
View attachment 704850
View attachment 704847
View attachment 704848
View attachment 704849
View attachment 704851
View attachment 704852
View attachment 704854
Congrats, your car looks very beautiful.. I am interested doing PPF for my Tesla in next few months, do you see any expose seam line ? do they wrap the rear of the car by 1 piece or there is seam line connection right the end of spoiler on both sides
Thank you