Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am still waiting for my Tesla, but do you think about my new avatar that I found on the web?

Maybe just need the car to be the new Model S.

Tesla like Whiskey.jpg

I do not have my car yet, so I can not verify the severity of this complaint that I read on NTSHA.gov, but it does seem to be an interesting scenario and concern with respect to the horn button.... BTW, It's not slowing me down in my desire to get a VIN.

...For example, trying to signal when exiting a roundabout. In that maneuver, the yoke is nearly upside down and the buttons are backwards AND in the wrong hand

2021 TESLA MODEL S 5 HB AWD | NHTSA

View attachment 728083
Frankly I'm still kind of astonished that NHTSA approved the stalkless steering yolk, there are so many impracticalities with it.

Frankly I'm still kind of astonished that NHTSA approved the stalkless steering yolk, there are so many impracticalities with it.

There is nothing to approve. It does not violate any laws. They can go back and investigate if they want.

Try it before dismissing the practicality and function of it. 15k+ miles on the yoke and no issues.

Hey all - The google sheet with order tracking does not seem to be updated/ current.

My RN is 115145***, ordered on 06/14/2021 MSLR blue/cream/wood/21”/ FSD. I see people outside of California have started to get delivery of orders with 1152 onwards but my delivery date still says Nov 11-Dec1. Anyone else in the same boat? Misery likes company you know :/
Lots of misery ahead of you.

There is nothing to approve. It does not violate any laws. They can go back and investigate if they want.

Try it before dismissing the practicality and function of it. 15k+ miles on the yoke and no issues.
Agreed. Seems like vast majority of nay-sayers are either waiting for their cars or are blog watchers with doubtful intent to order one.

Don’t let @cwanja hear that! He takes his spreadsheet very seriously!
Ironically, I looked at the white interior spreadsheet today. Pretty certain I was the first person to open it in weeks, if not a good month. The main one is not mine. And is a cluster f of a mess. I think someone started a third one with an accompanying Google Form. So take your pick of the litter.

I don't actually have to drive it to see how impractical a yoke is compared to a round steering wheel, which has been the standard for over a century for a reason. And also the reasons listed by the post I replied to. Didn't know that NHTSA only looked for violations of law when it came to car design.

This may be beyond your comprehension but I don't actually have to drive it to see how impractical a yoke is compared to a round steering wheel, which has been the standard for over a century for a reason. And also the reasons listed by the post I replied to. Didn't know that NHTSA only looked for violations of law when it came to car design.
I was in your camp before driving, and then basically flipped all of my opinions.

Its not like the second coming of steering or anything, but it doesn't impact driving nor is it impractical.

Like what, exactly? I don't have as many miles as @Hayseed_MS (only 5000 here) but I have no issues with the yoke, and I drive through roundabouts to get to the office without issue. My experience, much like the person who submitted the complaint, is purely anecdotal and I shouldn't extend that on everyone else broadly.

People will find anything to complain about. It's even worse when people find things to complain about that they haven't even tried.

Hey, gang! Haven't been around here since finally taking delivery of my car on 8/30. I've been thoroughly enjoying driving and learning about the car and it is awesome! I mostly use my wall connector to charge at home but was near a super charger yesterday and decided to try it out just for fun. Like the car, it's pretty fast.

So, anyway, finally got my winter wheel setup put on today and thought I'd share my thoughts about that whole process. After not being really happy with any of the offerings from any of the other vendors, I decided to have Signature Wheels custom make a set of wheels for the car. It seems like everyone is trying to get you to buy a square wheel setup for a car that was designed to perform at its best with staggered wheels. I went with 19" SV104's for the Indiana winters and spring pot-holes that come with them...in the same staggered sizes as Tesla offers with their 19" wheels. Unfortunately, there are no winter tires to be had that fit this wheel configuration. I think that some manufacturers do make actual winter tires that would work but, with the supply chain the way it is, I couldn't find any so I went with Continental ProContact RX tires, again the same all seasons that Tesla uses. The supply of them seems to also be dwindling but I was able to get a full set from Belle Tire...2 from Connecticut and 2 from Nebraska. I picked up TPMS sensors from the SC in Indianapolis. Finally, and at the last minute, I wanted lug nuts that would look right with the new wheels/tires and landed on black titanium lug nuts from Unplugged Performance. Got everything put on today and am a happy camper.

All of the vendors in this process have been great to work with and very accomodating. Signature Wheels is on their game with quality and Unplugged went out of their way to overnight me lug nuts after I procrastinated about that part of the configuration. I am using Belle's valet service to have my summer wheels/tires cleaned and stored in their climate controlled facility until spring when I'll reverse the process. It's $109.00 twice a year.

Hope everyone is well...I'll try to check in more often. 🤣

Attachments

• wheels.jpg
    wheels.jpg
    841.6 KB · Views: 54
This may be beyond your comprehension but I don't actually have to drive it to see how impractical a yoke is compared to a round steering wheel, which has been the standard for over a century for a reason. And also the reasons listed by the post I replied to. Didn't know that NHTSA only looked for violations of law when it came to car design.

GregE comin' in hot!

I have to be honest, I don't see the point of this post. Elon declared the yoke is here to stay. If there's one thing you can say about the guy, it's that he's wildly stubborn and pigheaded. So it's a simple decision now. Don't buy the car, or buy it and deal with the yoke. The odds that any federal body comes down with a ruling in the next 12 months that changes it seems pretty slim...

And to be clear, I hate the dumb yoke and wish it was a wheel with stalks but I've made my peace with it as the price to pay for a car I otherwise 100% want.

The point is:
  • Having a yoke isn't new, production cars have had them in the past.
  • Having turn signals on the steering wheel isn't new, cars have had them on the steering wheel in the past.
  • Having the horn not be the center of the steering wheel isn't new, cars have had them elsewhere in the past.
So, it doesn't run afoul of the FMVSS and it has been done in the past. There is nothing for NHTSA to do. (Unless they decide to change the FMVSS.)

Really, the only difference is that Tesla is delivering these changes in a mainstream vehicle in a much larger quantity than other cars in the past.

If someone doesn't think they can drive safely with the yoke, and its associated controls, they should buy something other than a new Model S or Model X.