Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My SA isn't responding. Tesla sent me an email asking to set up a time to pick the car up next week. I called the general sales line and waited for over 30 minutes for someone to respond. The SA sounded like a rookie. Couldn't give me an exact date of manufacture - all he said was late April :rolleyes:. He checked the specs and he said he thinks it has the tilting screen and matrix headlights but he wanted to double check on it. Put me on hold and then I was disconnected.

I may drive to the delivery centre to speak to someone in person. It's only 10 minutes away. Pretty frustrating though!
OK, drove over to the Service Centre and glad I did. After waiting 15 minutes, spoke to someone who couldn't really help me. She said she was new and said she could find someone who has more experience who may be able to help. I said yes please!

I finally spoke to someone who knew what they were talking about - a breath of fresh air given my recent experience with Tesla the past few months. The SA was able to answer all my questions. Here's the skinny:

1. The car was manufactured on Apr 14;
  2. The car is actually on site up the street in their offsite parking lot;
  3. The car was rejected by another customer because they declared bankruptcy and their financing fell through (this explains the rapid match to my account last night);
  4. He actually drove to the offsite lot to verify the options on the car for me; I asked him if I could go with him but he said no :(
  5. The car is a perfect match as far as my specs go.
  6. No damage reported on the car and he didn't see any. He said it looked fine other than the fact that it was dirty.
  7. All season tires, matrix headlights, new tail lights and charge port are all on the car.
  8. Tilting screen is not :(:(
They had a MS LR in the showroom that was the exact same spec as mine but with no tilt screen and different colour. We sat in it and he reminded me that the screen only tilts 11 degrees. No doubt it would be a nice feature to have but I don't think not having it is something that would bother me when I'm driving.

So right now I'm thinking I should take the car. A reminder that in Canada, a luxury tax kicks in for deliveries on Sept 1 or later. I'd be pretty upset if I waited for the tilt screen and didn't get the car until Sept - that decision could cost me another $6,200!

And I'd have the car for the summer - which would be great. Only downside is I haven't sold my old MS yet - was hoping to not be saddled with two cars at the same time but oh well. Maybe selling it now rather than the summer would be better as far as the quantity of interested buyers are concerned.

Thoughts? If I'm missing something please chime in. Otherwise I'm going to schedule pickup for next Thursday 👍👍

OK, drove over to the Service Centre and glad I did. After waiting 15 minutes, spoke to someone who couldn't really help me. She said she was new and said she could find someone who has more experience who may be able to help. I said yes please!

I finally spoke to someone who knew what they were talking about - a breath of fresh air given my recent experience with Tesla the past few months. The SA was able to answer all my questions. Here's the skinny:

3. The car was rejected by another customer because they declared bankruptcy and their financing fell through (this explains the rapid match to my account last night);
  4. He actually drove to the offsite lot to verify the options on the car for me; I asked him if I could go with him but he said no :(
  6. No damage reported on the car and he didn't see any. He said it looked fine other than the fact that it was dirty.
  7. All season tires, matrix headlights, new tail lights and charge port are all on the car.
They had a MS LR in the showroom that was the exact same spec as mine but with no tilt screen and different colour. We sat in it and he reminded me that the screen only tilts 11 degrees. No doubt it would be a nice feature to have but I don't think not having it is something that would bother me when I'm driving.

So right now I'm thinking I should take the car. A reminder that in Canada, a luxury tax kicks in for deliveries on Sept 1 or later. I'd be pretty upset if I waited for the tilt screen and didn't get the car until Sept - that decision could cost me another $6,200!

And I'd have the car for the summer - which would be great. Only downside is I haven't sold my old MS yet - was hoping to not be saddled with two cars at the same time but oh well. Maybe selling it now rather than the summer would be better as far as the quantity of interested buyers are concerned.

Thoughts? If I'm missing something please chime in. Otherwise I'm going to schedule pickup for next Thursday 👍👍
I’ll take 6,200 over a tilting screen any day of the week, even if it is Canadian money.

My SA isn't responding. Tesla sent me an email asking to set up a time to pick the car up next week. I called the general sales line and waited for over 30 minutes for someone to respond. The SA sounded like a rookie. Couldn't give me an exact date of manufacture - all he said was late April :rolleyes:. He checked the specs and he said he thinks it has the tilting screen and matrix headlights but he wanted to double check on it. Put me on hold and then I was disconnected.

I may drive to the delivery centre to speak to someone in person. It's only 10 minutes away. Pretty frustrating though!

Sounds to me like they are just trying to get you to just accept the car. They can tell exactly what your cars "birthday" is.

When I texted (510) 330-1671 and asked I got this response:
"Hello, your car's Birthday: Thu Jun 3 7:44:07 2021 Thank you."

Not sure if that number for Tesla Order Support is still valid but it was a way to text Tesla.
There's another option, you can go to any Tesla vehicle purchase page and look for the chat bubble in the bottom corner. I've been connected to an agent to ask simple questions about my reservation/VIN quickly. Specifically about build date and car features.

I'm fine with that. Would I be getting the matrix light upgrade?
You should definitely have those, you car appears to have been built 3-4 weeks after Matrix lights were introduced.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid

IMO Go for it, but be sure to give it a wash and inspect for cosmetic issues within the first couple days.

The screen tilting doesn't really change much. It makes the right half of the screen maybe 1-2" closer for easier touching. It's neat, but not a deal breaker.

I find it rather absurd in the fact that you could not be driven to the other lot to actually see the car they want you to accept!
Why not trade your current MS towards the new S?

I find it rather absurd in the fact that you could not be driven to the other lot to actually see the car they want you to accept!
Why not trade your current MS towards the new S?
True - it was probably an insurance issue is my guess. The fact that he was nice enough to go inspect it for me in person was impressive - I guess my expectations have been ground down to virtually zero with this company so that when someone goes above and beyond the call of duty, I'm shocked and grateful!

Last time I had them give me a price on my old MS was in the Fall and they offered me half of what it's worth right now if I sold it privately. I'd be surprised if they offered me significantly more than that right now. It's a little bit more work but worth it IMO.

Did it myself. 6”x60” 3M 1080 roll from Amazon. Start at center and stretch and place as needed. Used bladeless knife tape to get the lines.

Looks good. For my peasantmobile, I would do gloss black to match the other gloss black trim. You would think @Twrapps would have something like this one.

Same place I called. Left on hold for ever. I took the option the third time to have them call me back without losing my place. Finally go someone but they were from Tesla Canada, not from the Lawrence location

I ordered my Plaid 34 days ago and already taking delivery tomorrow. WTF? Given chip shortages, are you all getting your cars this quick too? I'm confused.
It happens sometimes. The delivery system does not seem to make sense to us outsiders.

I ordered my Plaid close to midnight on August 4th (after a few too many beers) and got an EDD of Feb - March 2022. I check the next morning and already had a VIN and a delivery date of August 8th! As you can imagine, the responses here on the forums from those who had been waiting almost a year were to say the least, colorful.

Double check your car. When was it built? If it is a recent build then you are probably good to go. If not try to find out why. My car was built June 3d and when I asked them why it sat for 2 months they said that a customer did not respond and they released it. That was absolutely not true. It turned out that my car had been entirely repainted. In my case I see that as a bonus.

I ordered my Plaid 34 days ago and already taking delivery tomorrow. WTF? Given chip shortages, are you all getting your cars this quick too? I'm confused.
You may have gotten matched with a car that someone failed to take delivery of, for whatever reason - could be as simple as their financing fell through, or they got tired of waiting and got another car, or they refused delivery because of QC issues.

I had to place a new Plaid order because Tesla auto-marked me as a reseller (which they then escalated and corrected because I had proof of no intent to sell before buying or making any profit, etc. I just gave my car to my family friend and sold another for the Plaid).

Anyways, it took about 11 days since order to Delivery for my Plaid.

I placed order on 05/15, got VIN 05/19 (NF 478 production date May 10 and was in-transit to NY). Took Delivery 05/26.

All in all 11 days from order to delivery? Essentially they’re handing out Plaids almost instantly - although I seem to have gotten slightly lucky - could be an In-Transit refused delivery which was routed to me instead. But I did get a car within 11 days that came directly from Fremont to my NY delivery center and was the most recent production.

Last edited:
I had to place a new Plaid order because Tesla auto-marked me as a reseller (which they then escalated and corrected because I had proof of no sales or profit, etc. I just gave my car to my family friend).
You're the first I have heard that got that determination reversed. Out of curiosity how long did you own the Tesla before you gave it to a family friend?