Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately I doubt they will be able to do much, hope I am wrong though.

This is a downside of the operating model of Tesla (control from the top down), although I feel the pros (no price gouging / last minute add ons / tricks by the salesman ) outweigh the cons, it is still unfortunate that when things like this happen and the local SA TRULY wants to help, their hands are tied.

Upper management likely will never even know what happened as they will be able to sell that car to someone else in seconds.

My suggestion would be to take it, even at the higher rate and just re-finance it through someone else.

As mentioned above, you should be able to get a much lower rate through a credit union and this would allow you to take the car AND stick it to the original financier by them getting almost nothing as you take the financing away from them after the fact. (Just make sure it has no early pay off penalties).
Thanks, guys. I like the refinance idea. I didn't realize that was a thing with cars. I have been leasing for a while, so I am a little rusty on the purchase side.

@EightYears I hear what you are saying 100%. They will work to fix the issue today, so I figure it was worth a shot. If nothing else, it gives me a chance to look for alternative financing.

I will update you guys when there is a resolution.

The mid-cycle refreshes you mention other OEMs do are typically nothing more than a few trim pieces, new taillights, maybe headlights, sometimes new colors. Occasionally you’ll see new engines, and the reason for that is to spread development costs between new models and new engines. At least this is all true for BMW I’m less familiar with others.

What Tesla did here is far more than a “mid cycle refresh”. The whole interior is brand new, the front and rear quarter panels are all new, the batteries and motors are all new. Sure, the exterior of the vehicle is not highly differentiated from last gen… but everything else is.
Suspension is new, battery cooling is new.

I’d say the car is 60% completely new. 70% on Plaid.

Just because it maintains the same overall look public calls it a mid cycle refresh. It’s far more.

Odd they didn’t refresh the shafts though. How hard can that be to solve. So far no vibration after 2300 miles on my LR.

Also I think keeping the same look helps keep resale value up. For both old and new. People won’t lose a ton of value when they change the look 2 years from now. And older cars still look “up to date” so they get good money. So it’s a win win to not drastically change the look.

So many car manufacturers change the look just for the sake of changing it. Sometimes making it even worse looking.

Thanks, guys. I like the refinance idea. I didn't realize that was a thing with cars. I have been leasing for a while, so I am a little rusty on the purchase side.
Oh yeah, done it a few times... Once just because someone was running a "special" a few weeks after I had signed at a higher rate.

Once because I was buying a used car from an individual out of state and many of my normal go to financial establishments listed it too high a risk so I just went with whatever I could get, drove the car home, and re-financed through my current credit union. Cut the rate 80%, was only out the ONE MONTH of higher rate from the original bank.

This last time I used it as a bargaining tool to get the ICE vehicles price down. Had already gotten the base price where I wanted it but the dealers finance guy wanted to play games and tell me he HAD to include certain add ons last minute. I was going to go back to the sales guy and let him fight it out, but just asked the finance guy, "hey, what if I financed through your financial institution instead, the rate is close enough for me, would that give you enough margin to let me drop those add ons?".... He had to "go talk to his boss" 🤣 But came back and said, yes....

I signed, went out to my new car, called my bank and told them to make the check out to the dealers finance company instead of the dealer....

Odd they didn’t refresh the shafts though. How hard can that be to solve. So far no vibration after 2300 miles on my LR.
Actually the shafts are new. They used the new design of the shafts to fix the vibration problem in the prior revision of the Model S. (The vibration people report on the Plaid is different, and I don't think it is a result of the shafts.)

Actually the shafts are new. They used the new design of the shafts to fix the vibration problem in the prior revision of the Model S. (The vibration people report on the Plaid is different, and I don't think it is a result of the shafts.)
I still think it is a relationship between the shafts, motor mount's design and their placement relative to the torque load. As Tesla was after the dreaded Noise Vibration Harshness which can be very tough in a quiet electric car..

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I still think it is a relationship between the shafts, motor mount's design and their placement relative to the torque load. As Tesla was after the dreaded Noise Vibration Harshness which can be very tough in a quiet electric car..
Yes, that's likely, but it's not a shaft strength or durability failure.

You all are hilarious nickel and diming on electrical work. If you don't like it get multiple quotes or do it yourself. You are buying a 6 figure car and can't afford a properly installed equipment? I get gouging but this is not. Try to price out the materials yourself then factor in labor.
Per my master electrician brother, the parts are pretty cheap and this would be a 1500 dollar job in south Texas.

Wow - I only ordered a month ago and I just got my VIN!

Ordered 5/9 - EDD 6/5-6/9. RN1171 VIN NF479

The initial EDD was June-August, then Oct-Jan, then June-July. I was expecting a delay but it looks like it could be this week! I've been dragging my heels over getting the charger installed as the estimate was so high ($6,575!) but I suppose I'd better get on it asap. o_O
Wow! I ordered in March and my EDD is still 6/18 - 7/23 for a red plaid. Did you have FSD?

You all are hilarious nickel and diming on electrical work. If you don't like it get multiple quotes or do it yourself. You are buying a 6 figure car and can't afford a properly installed equipment? I get gouging but this is not. Try to price out the materials yourself then factor in labor.
It’s about principle and not throwing money out the window. Why overpay for something when a little research can save $$?

Until when can you drop FSD out of the order before driving out of the store?
From what I read taking making changes to FSD can change EDD. My guess adding it get you the car sooner and removing pushes it back. Also saw that they said that FSD doesn’t help get it faster on your order but I don’t believe it. I know there is some warning message about it when you order

Took delivery on Saturday. Exactly 13 months after ordering. Curious how can you tell if you have the motorized tilt screen. I dont see anyway in the on screen controls to tilt the screen. Does this mean our car doesnt have it?
If you don’t have a button in the main controls that says “Display” to tap and then swivel left or right or center, then it’s not there.

My vibration on my new 2022 Plaid is quite different so far to my 2021 Plaid. It only vibrates now for the first minute or two of driving at around 30-40mph. It even vibrates under regen at these speeds and it’s VERY noticeable through the pedals. Most peculiar. My 2021 had the “normal” vibration at ~40+mph only, 100% of the time after I hit around 1200 miles. Something is different on the newer 2022s as my buddy in NY has a 2022 that behaves like my 2022, and not like my 2021.

Well, I’m back again. Ordered a M3 last June, took delivery in August. Seats are terribly uncomfortable for me to the point where it has caused lasting pain.

Shopped around for alternatives, but decided to go for the Model S instead.

Ordered one on June 1st, Black/Black with 19s. No FSD. Estimated to arrive between Nov 22 and Feb 23. Looking forward to it!

Well, I’m back again. Ordered a M3 last June, took delivery in August. Seats are terribly uncomfortable for me to the point where it has caused lasting pain.

Shopped around for alternatives, but decided to go for the Model S instead.
I hate to say it, but do you think it will make a difference? I thought that Tesla used pretty much the same front seats in all of their vehicles. (Just with a different mounting base for the necessary height to match the vehicle.)