Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To those that went before me...

I have a MSP delivery scheduled for this Sat. Irony that it's the 13th too. Lucky me.

Accuweather and other weather sources are forecasting 6" of snow and blizzard conditions with freezing temps starting Fri night and well into Sat. The app isn't allowing reschedules.

Not an ideal day for inspection/delivery. Not ideal for an hour trip to and again from the delivery center; especially knowing the Plaid is delivered with summer tires and will have to be driven like it's wearing ice skates home.

When I asked about ways to mitigate this instead of a, hey I see your traveling in from a neighboring state so let's reschedule for the following week I get "We can do it indoors if it mean that much to you. We want to have your delivery experience as pleasant as possible. Thank you."

With every Tesla I obtain (this makes 4) the buying experience keeps dropping imho. "...if it means that much to you." still bugs me hours later. Plus while the media focuses on his range reduction being for 2024 models, common sense would be this impacts years before as well; I feel like the range exaggeration story would have continued if the DoJ hadn't become involved.

However, what are my options?

1) Maybe the storm is a bust, go get the vehicle, inspect for major issues, take home to a heated garage for close inspection, and assuming the three days to submit issues is Sat, Sun, then Mon get anything submitted Mon. Live with SC fixes for any discovered issues.

2) Re-engage the anonymous agent behind the app. Tell them to reschedule delivery by a week. Hope the weather simply stays cold versus blizzardly. I doubt this would impact supercharging transfer promo, trade-in, or financing.

3) Request a two week "hold". It sounds like this might release the VIN. Maybe it gets reassigned. Maybe I get a worse 2023, maybe I get a 2024 assigned. I doubt this would impact trade-in, or financing. I have a concern it could impact supercharging transfer promo.

4) Inspect the vehicle, find a major issue, reject the vehicle. Like option 3 maybe I get a worse 2023, maybe I get a 2024. Same concern it could impact supercharging transfer promo. In fact one user on this forum/thread suggested I could lose FUSC on my source vehicle this way.

5) Walk away. I could lose the $250 fee, but with this reduction in range hitting the MSP the most, and others getting the opportunity to cancel and get their $250 back I think I have a chance. Enjoy my current Tesla and wait for the next too good to miss promo.

Am I missing any other options?
I think you should be able to inspect the vehicle. If they offered a chance to see it indoors then I'd take that. I think you do risk Supercharging transfer if you refuse the first VIN.

Are you planning on getting winter rims for the car? Maybe they have them in stock and can put them on. You can put the others in the back or maybe come pick them up later.

I have a MSP delivery scheduled for this Sat. Irony that it's the 13th too. Lucky me.

Accuweather and other weather sources are forecasting 6" of snow and blizzard conditions with freezing temps starting Fri night and well into Sat. The app isn't allowing reschedules.

Not an ideal day for inspection/delivery. Not ideal for an hour trip to and again from the delivery center; especially knowing the Plaid is delivered with summer tires and will have to be driven like it's wearing ice skates home.

When I asked about ways to mitigate this instead of a, hey I see your traveling in from a neighboring state so let's reschedule for the following week I get "We can do it indoors if it mean that much to you. We want to have your delivery experience as pleasant as possible. Thank you."

With every Tesla I obtain (this makes 4) the buying experience keeps dropping imho. "...if it means that much to you." still bugs me hours later. Plus while the media focuses on his range reduction being for 2024 models, common sense would be this impacts years before as well; I feel like the range exaggeration story would have continued if the DoJ hadn't become involved.

1) Maybe the storm is a bust, go get the vehicle, inspect for major issues, take home to a heated garage for close inspection, and assuming the three days to submit issues is Sat, Sun, then Mon get anything submitted Mon. Live with SC fixes for any discovered issues.

2) Re-engage the anonymous agent behind the app. Tell them to reschedule delivery by a week. Hope the weather simply stays cold versus blizzardly. I doubt this would impact supercharging transfer promo, trade-in, or financing.

3) Request a two week "hold". It sounds like this might release the VIN. Maybe it gets reassigned. Maybe I get a worse 2023, maybe I get a 2024 assigned. I doubt this would impact trade-in, or financing. I have a concern it could impact supercharging transfer promo.

4) Inspect the vehicle, find a major issue, reject the vehicle. Like option 3 maybe I get a worse 2023, maybe I get a 2024. Same concern it could impact supercharging transfer promo. In fact one user on this forum/thread suggested I could lose FUSC on my source vehicle this way.

5) Walk away. I could lose the $250 fee, but with this reduction in range hitting the MSP the most, and others getting the opportunity to cancel and get their $250 back I think I have a chance. Enjoy my current Tesla and wait for the next too good to miss promo.

Think you might be over thinking this. Not saying I would do a winter with the performance tires but I have used them with caution in snow etc with no issue. You just need to avoid Plaid type testing. They offered an indoor inspection. Take the offer and try to enjoy this great new arrival.

Reactions: Deisic
Think you might be over thinking this. Not saying I would do a winter with the performance tires but I have used them with caution in snow etc with no issue. You just need to avoid Plaid type testing. They offered an indoor inspection. Take the offer and try to enjoy this great new arrival.
Eh, the P-zeroes are particularly bad in my experience. I got caught in a storm on them when I was driving my model 3, it was damn near a miracle I didn't get into an accident.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Eh, the P-zeroes are particularly bad in my experience. I got caught in a storm on them when I was driving my model 3, it was damn near a miracle I didn't get into an accident.
After a few winters with a RWD Hemi I found it rather uneventful with the performance tires on the Tesla by comparison. As I said, not suggested for a full winter but a single drive home with common sense and caution shouldn’t be an issue.

Reactions: ICUDoc
I would not risk driving the car in the snow on the stock tires. I would delay. If that means you end up getting a 2024 VIN, that’s not a bad thing. But odds are they’ll be able to hold the car. The S doesn’t sell so quickly that they have buyers lined up for a 2023 model.
Agreed. Picking up a Plaid in the snow is a really, really bad idea. I doubt they’d make it home, and the stress would be off the charts.

Reactions: aerodyne

This is a classic case of begging forgiveness vs asking permission. Do what every 12 year old does when they haven't done their homework. Call in sick. Not well at all. Can't make it to the service center today. What are they gonna do? They want to sell you the car just as much as you want to buy it. They'll work it out with you if you can't make it for some reason.

I'm still pondering buying a 2021 used plaid vs 2024 new plaid. By usual math, the depreciation on a new car should be much faster than the depreciation on a 3 year old car.

But, let's say new is $91.5k out the door (fees included, tax not included). 2021 Plaids (with 21s, FSD, and yoke) are selling for $71k or so before tax. A loss of about $20k. Kbb says $69k private party, so about $22k loss. Now, comparing to a 2018 P100D, Kbb says $45k for that car, and a quick look at listings seems to back that up. So, another $24k loss in three years. Surprisingly similar. Now, there was obviously a big refresh in there that is hurting the 2018 value, but I wonder if the difference in depreciation between a '24 Plaid and a '21 Plaid will be that different after three years.

By that logic, there isn't much difference buying new vs used... It just ties up an additional ~$20k for three years.

Alternately, buying the '21 Plaid is an excuse to burn the $20k I saved on the track package. 😅

I'm still pondering buying a 2021 used plaid vs 2024 new plaid. By usual math, the depreciation on a new car should be much faster than the depreciation on a 3 year old car.

But, let's say new is $91.5k out the door (fees included, tax not included). 2021 Plaids (with 21s, FSD, and yoke) are selling for $71k or so before tax. A loss of about $20k. Kbb says $69k private party, so about $22k loss. Now, comparing to a 2018 P100D, Kbb says $45k for that car, and a quick look at listings seems to back that up. So, another $24k loss in three years. Surprisingly similar. Now, there was obviously a big refresh in there that is hurting the 2018 value, but I wonder if the difference in depreciation between a '24 Plaid and a '21 Plaid will be that different after three years.

By that logic, there isn't much difference buying new vs used... It just ties up an additional ~$20k for three years.

Alternately, buying the '21 Plaid is an excuse to burn the $20k I saved on the track package. 😅
The extra $20k for the track package will depreciate to $0

Update. Messaged again about this from app earlier this morning.

I just got off the phone as the Delivery Center calls and wants to reschedule due to expected inclement weather. Proactively and alledgedly of their own action and nothing to do with my ask via app.

Still awaiting an answer from the app. The appointment for delivery has already changed.

All this for the last 2023?!? LoL

Update. Messaged again about this from app earlier this morning.

I just got off the phone as the Delivery Center calls and wants to reschedule due to expected inclement weather. Proactively and alledgedly of their own action and nothing to do with my ask via app.

Still awaiting an answer from the app. The appointment for delivery has already changed.

All this for the last 2023?!? LoL
They complied to your indoor inspection and a delayed weather safe day. Still seems like they are Trying to accommodate you?

used is the way to go if you want all that stuff. i picked up a 2023 plaid, 1500 miles, fsd, full ppf, full tint and 21's for $78

Anyone know what EDDs are running if you place an MSP UR (all base options) order today? Order page still says Jan-Feb.
From the recent posts, it looks like teko and rugar760 both have EDDs that start on January 17th and 18th. Also if I'm correct, it looks like you both ordered the long range Model S. If those dates hold true then hopefully we will see the first 2024 VINs assigned soon.

As for the Plaids, I don’t think that they plan on making any this month. Even though the estimate on Tesla's website for brand new Plaid orders says "Est. Delivery: Jan – Feb 2024" I don't think that is true. I've had a Plaid order since Dec 2nd with no VIN assignment and no holds placed. I also accepted the updated configuration right after the email from Tesla came out and my EDD is still Feb 1 through Mar 14.

I hope I'm wrong but these inconsistencies lead me to think that we won't see Plaids until February at the earliest especially with many EDDs going into March.

I guess we will see. 🍿

Based on the message above on MSP and my exact same EDD+2 days with a Dec 4th order on a MSLR, the Jan-Feb estimate on the site seems to be in the event they can match you with a remaining 2023 VIN. My guess is that once you order, if they can't match you, you'll be dropped in the production plan and get an EDD similar to ours or even later depending on how many orders placed between then and now and how many they are producing in this next run.

Reactions: teko