Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's infotainment has kind of sucked since they broke USB local music indexing, folder navigation, and sticky list positioning when lefting out...plus they turned the grid of albums with the local artwork into a linear text list. Been broken since 2019. V8 was their best firmware. It's been downhill ever since with feature after feature either removed, broken, or degraded.
For most, USB is not important. That’s not to say it’s not a valid complaint. Tesla’s infotainment is leagues ahead of absolutely any car manufacturer. It’s not perfect, but it’s not even close when it comes to best in class.

For most, USB is not important. That’s not to say it’s not a valid complaint. Tesla’s infotainment is leagues ahead of absolutely any car manufacturer. It’s not perfect, but it’s not even close when it comes to best in class.

I get it. I have my 500+ albums on a stick and half them aren't streamable and the half that are don't sound as good unless you have Tidal or Apple Music.
If they'd just fix it so that search results once again include results from your local USB storage, that would mostly solve it for me. They made a big deal when they introduced that feature back in 2015.

Except their infotainment system will still suck. And when you’re stuck in traffic, that’s really all that matters. Also, I think we’re kinda reaching the pinnacle of street usability as it is, no?

That said, I’d certainly like the driver involvement the Taycan gives you over the Model S. The handling may not be objectively worse in the S, but it’s certainly subjectively worse.

Then again, no one-pedal driving in the Porsches. Ugh. Can’t have it all.

My Taycan rides waaaaay better than my Plaid. Like another galaxy better. Not just the handling. A lot quieter too. I do miss the way Spotify is arranged on the Tesla UI. CarPlay just isn’t as good.

• Informative
Reactions: NeuroRad and sorka
Except their infotainment system will still suck. And when you’re stuck in traffic, that’s really all that matters. Also, I think we’re kinda reaching the pinnacle of street usability as it is, no?

That said, I’d certainly like the driver involvement the Taycan gives you over the Model S. The handling may not be objectively worse in the S, but it’s certainly subjectively worse.

Then again, no one-pedal driving in the Porsches. Ugh. Can’t have it all.

Yeah, I drove a 2024 Taycan Turbo S. I tried to be as neutral and objective as possible. I couldn't feel any difference in handling compared to the Plaid. I know people rave about the differences, but there's a lot of bias there. You are expecting a better experience since you paid more, so of course it must be better.

I think the objective results are the only real metric. You can say things subjective things about "feel" and "driving experience" but the Plaid with the track pack ran a 7:25 and the Turbo S ran a 7:42. Though, I'll give them the new one is going to be damn fast at 7:07.

Also, when you are stuck in traffic, none of that "driving experience" stuff matters. The self-driving features matter. And at least in my short test drive, Porsche inno drive seemed to be pretty bad compared to FSD. Just comparing highway driving.

Ultimately, the charging network also killed my interest in the Taycan. I don't want to struggle with charging and be limited to 50 or 150 kw on 400V chargers.

Now, if the Taycan GT comes with NACS.... :) :cool:

Yeah, I drove a 2024 Taycan Turbo S. I tried to be as neutral and objective as possible. I couldn't feel any difference in handling compared to the Plaid. I know people rave about the differences, but there's a lot of bias there. You are expecting a better experience since you paid more, so of course it must be better.

I think the objective results are the only real metric. You can say things subjective things about "feel" and "driving experience" but the Plaid with the track pack ran a 7:25 and the Turbo S ran a 7:42. Though, I'll give them the new one is going to be damn fast at 7:07.

Also, when you are stuck in traffic, none of that "driving experience" stuff matters. The self-driving features matter. And at least in my short test drive, Porsche inno drive seemed to be pretty bad compared to FSD. Just comparing highway driving.

Ultimately, the charging network also killed my interest in the Taycan. I don't want to struggle with charging and be limited to 50 or 150 kw on 400V chargers.

Now, if the Taycan GT comes with NACS.... :) :cool:

After owning both, I think the real difference is the suspension. Porsches is way better. The ride is very smooth and comfortable, yet sporty. Driving both back to back same day (both have 21s), the Tesla is just schizophrenic feeling. Like it doesn’t know how to settle on the road. Think that’s what people don’t like regarding the ride of 21s. The Taycan suspension embarrasses the Tesla in ride quality. Now I agree they both corner well for their size. They are big heavy EVs, and you can tell. Yeah. Porsche innodrive sucks compared to the Tesla autopilot. Def use it less in the Taycan. Haven’t used any non home charger as I just drive it locally.

Reactions: geminus
After owning both, I think the real difference is the suspension. Porsches is way better. The ride is very smooth and comfortable, yet sporty. Driving both back to back same day (both have 21s), the Tesla is just schizophrenic feeling. Like it doesn’t know how to settle on the road. Think that’s what people don’t like regarding the ride of 21s. The Taycan suspension embarrasses the Tesla in ride quality. Now I agree they both corner well for their size. They are big heavy EVs, and you can tell. Yeah. Porsche innodrive sucks compared to the Tesla autopilot. Def use it less in the Taycan. Haven’t used any non home charger as I just drive it locally.
21s really compromise the handling on the S. I had both the 19s and 21s on my P85D+ and sold the 21s after about 3K miles. The had so many downsides that I wish I'd known before:
  • Less comfortable
  • Worse handling
  • Faster tire wear (due to excessive factory negative camber)
  • Easier to damage from curbing, potholes, etc.
  • Tires more expensive
  • Range is worse

Reactions: Propofoln
21s really compromise the handling on the S. I had both the 19s and 21s on my P85D+ and sold the 21s after about 3K miles. The had so many downsides that I wish I'd known before:
  • Less comfortable
  • Worse handling
  • Faster tire wear (due to excessive factory negative camber)
  • Easier to damage from curbing, potholes, etc.
  • Tires more expensive
  • Range is worse
I just have to say that a Plaid with track pack is in a completely different universe than a 2015 P85D....

You did the smart thing, you bought it after it depreciated massively. New Turbo S is not twice the car MSP is but it is more than twice the price. Range is *sugar* and Porsche does not know how to do software. I had 4S and yes, its nice to drive, but weeks at the dealer for software upgrades ain't fun.

I think about 5 days. You'll get progressively more aggressive messages at 11am EST. I ordered Jan 1, got the final message below Jan 5. Though, I'm not sure why you want to drag things out now. I think there's no risk of getting a 2023 now... (Crosses fingers).
View attachment 1012122

I've gotten that message today twice already and I just ordered last night.

I think about 5 days. You'll get progressively more aggressive messages at 11am EST. I ordered Jan 1, got the final message below Jan 5. Though, I'm not sure why you want to drag things out now. I think there's no risk of getting a 2023 now... (Crosses fingers).
View attachment 1012122

I've gotten that message today twice already and I just ordered last night.

Once they park out in front of your house, then you need to answer...

I hear that Tesla is more willing to do a buyback once, but the second time might be much harder. I didn't find a single lawyer that was willing to take on my buyback case. I just got lucky that Tesla was willing to do it without legal pressure.
Don’t believe there is a single state lemon law that has a restriction on the number of times it can be used.

Suggest from personal experience that once you’ve met the criteria, the criteria have been met.

That said,in our cases it was two BMWs over a two year period that were absolute garbage, one of which was LATER part of the infamous Bremi ignition coil fiasco in the early 2000’s: they would intermittently fail when hot, and then when cool (after being towed in, for example), there would be no problem found.

Oddly, BMW took the approach that it must be the customer that’s the problem, because they’re arrogant as all get out.

I should have written the BMW FL region manager jerk a nasty note after they recalled a few hundred thousand cars for those damn ignition coils, but just never made the time.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
Latest drone footage from today, so curiosly why are so few MS and MX being produced? There are few in staging and few here and there but these are cars that should be produced at rate 50 a day. And there are orders on the books, so what's the hold up?