Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S needs a major visual overhaul, and Plaid announcement means it's not happening [Speculation]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My "solid" roof was what I wanted (and shopped for). Didn't want the pano roof that so many love here because it was something that had maintenance issues and wasn't something I would use. Now that the all glass roof is standard, I'm really glad I have the solid roof because it has better sound and thermal insulation: quieter, cooler in summer, warmer in winter. Just another reason to keep my old S as long as I can, even though it has the "gaping fish mouth" nose that I really dislike.
White S with the metal roof is the best looking version IMO.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
Different strokes is right .. only thing door pockets are good for is to attract clutter I gotta clean out later :p

A better center console arrangement would be welcome .. as well as a proper wireless charger ..
When I got my first Model S, there was no center console at all. Many people said the same thing: more areas for storage make more clutter. That is certainly true, and it really forced me to keep on top of my stuff. At the same time, I am someone who must have quite a few items up front and have easy access to (stethoscope, ID badges, and various other critical items). Having no door pockets makes it really hard to keep this stuff organized. Anyway, a general interior refresh of the Model S would be very much welcome.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
Current model S owner here, I doubt it highly I will replace my S with another Tesla unless there are major updates. I will definitely be looking at the EQS, eTron GT, Lucid, etc...

Reasons
  • No major change since 2012
  • AP no real improvement in functionality since AP1
  • Service has become the Walmart of experiences, 6 figure car here.
  • They never fix little issues, led lights that go out within months, door handles, all MCU 1 owners should get replacements, etc

It's still the best looking Sedan on the market. It's still the best looking of all the the Tesla models. Why change? Wait, they did. The got rid of the nosecone which was a step backwards in my opinion. I swore for a long time that I'd never buy another model S but probably will upgrade in 2022 to a Plaid. I'd prefer the nosecone my 2015 currently has but even without it's still the best looking family sports sedan on the market. Nothing is even close.

Agree with you on service and "little issues" comment.

My "solid" roof was what I wanted (and shopped for). Didn't want the pano roof that so many love here because it was something that had maintenance issues and wasn't something I would use. Now that the all glass roof is standard, I'm really glad I have the solid roof because it has better sound and thermal insulation: quieter, cooler in summer, warmer in winter. Just another reason to keep my old S as long as I can, even though it has the "gaping fish mouth" nose that I really dislike.

the solid roof is more claustrophobic than the glass roof. it also makes it harder to boink in the car

One time, I backed into a parking spot to pick up groceries that I had ordered online. The sign to call to have someone come out to the car was not placed for back-in parking, which I did because that was my preferred method, and for the safety and convenience of the employee who would not need to leave the sidewalk to access my trunk. I was able to see the sign through the glass roof! :)

The light through the glass and the white seats add so much brightness. I've been doing video chats in my car and someone asked if it was the Tesla truck because it looked so spacious.

also you mention ice cars needing “valve adjustments” can you please clarify which valves need to be adjusted on a regular basis?
Well since you asked, the inlet and exhaust valves. Every 5000km or so I have to crawl under the vehicle, pop off the valve covers, and make sure the tappet clearance is between 0.15mm and 0.20mm. A model-year or two later they got "hydraulic lifters" which apparently don't need this. If the valves are too tight (less than 0.15mm), when they get hot they won't close fully which will make them even hotter because the hot compressed gas will leak past them and then they stretch and eventually break and when they fall into the cylinder it's bad news. Never had that happen thankfully. Rebuilt head busted a valve spring after a hundred km, that's what happens when you use Chinese parts (didn't even know at the time).
Glad I don't have to do that very often anymore, now that almost all of our travels are with the Tesla (well, not that we're travelling at the moment, can't go more than 5km from home).
Cheers.

To be fair, no car that I know of has needed valve adjustments this century. I am sure there are a few but not mass market vehicles.
If we are going to mention valve adjustments, we might as well start talking about spark plugs. Every car from this century that I have seen have plugs that are good for 60k or more.

Well since you asked, the inlet and exhaust valves. Every 5000km or so I have to crawl under the vehicle, pop off the valve covers, and make sure the tappet clearance is between 0.15mm and 0.20mm. A model-year or two later they got "hydraulic lifters" which apparently don't need this. If the valves are too tight (less than 0.15mm), when they get hot they won't close fully which will make them even hotter because the hot compressed gas will leak past them and then they stretch and eventually break and when they fall into the cylinder it's bad news. Never had that happen thankfully. Rebuilt head busted a valve spring after a hundred km, that's what happens when you use Chinese parts (didn't even know at the time).
Glad I don't have to do that very often anymore, now that almost all of our travels are with the Tesla (well, not that we're travelling at the moment, can't go more than 5km from home).
Cheers.
Not even joking, I’ve never had to do this. Nor has the dealer or shop ever recommended doing this.

The only think I find surprising about your post is that 2 people actually disliked it. What?? You totally nailed it. Of every car Tesla makes, the Model S is clearly the nicest looking, and is definitely more beautiful than most sedans on the road, with few exceptions (the Maserati is pretty F'in gorgeous, for one). Can the exterior be tweaked a bit? Sure! A "refresh" is just fine; just don't ruin a beautiful design.

And, yes to everything you said about the interior. No door pockets after 8 years? Ridiculous.

Service is a joke. I really miss the good old days when Tesla employees were truly impassioned to help, and excited to be part of the your experience. How did they lose that?
The majority of employees who had passion have moved on (either by choice or previous mass layoffs), replaced by warm bodies to whom it's just a job. There might still be a few here and there but nothing like it was 3+ years ago.

Why do people hate chrome trim so much?

the solid roof is more claustrophobic than the glass roof. it also makes it harder to boink in the car
While I wouldn't know about the latter attribute of the glass roof that you mention, I very rarely have back seat passengers who would be able to appreciate the glass roof. In the front seat I appreciate the sound and thermal insulation and don't feel claustrophobic because there is no glass above, given the big windshield.

When sleeping in the car, with part of the rear seat folded, I really appreciate the solid roof for a bit more privacy in RV parks and campgrounds. Those hulking motorhomes tend to look down on my little Model S "RV." Even though the glass roof is supposed to be mostly opaque for outside viewers, I would find it creepy to have a glass roof above when sleeping in the car. I'd have to rig some sort of shade, which would be a nuisance.

I’m 6’1 and had no issues with the solid roof.
The only think I find surprising about your post is that 2 people actually disliked it. What?? You totally nailed it. Of every car Tesla makes, the Model S is clearly the nicest looking, and is definitely more beautiful than most sedans on the road, with few exceptions (the Maserati is pretty F'in gorgeous, for one). Can the exterior be tweaked a bit? Sure! A "refresh" is just fine; just don't ruin a beautiful design.

And, yes to everything you said about the interior. No door pockets after 8 years? Ridiculous.

Service is a joke. I really miss the good old days when Tesla employees were truly impassioned to help, and excited to be part of the your experience. How did they lose that?
i agree the model s design is beautiful. But personally there’s no sedan better looking than the Porsche Panamera. It’s just sooo smooth and sexy. And when that spoiler comes up... ooofff!
7466A329-A411-4DF3-B6C1-7D435339C757.jpeg
1D46D426-0F98-4C63-A640-5CFCA72758A5.jpeg

Current model S owner here, I doubt it highly I will replace my S with another Tesla unless there are major updates. I will definitely be looking at the EQS, eTron GT, Lucid, etc...

Reasons
  • No major change since 2012
  • AP no real improvement in functionality since AP1
  • Service has become the Walmart of experiences, 6 figure car here.
  • They never fix little issues, led lights that go out within months, door handles, all MCU 1 owners should get replacements, etc

Walmart's customer service is fantastic, IDK what you're talking about! Other than that, I completely agree.

I actually made a thread about how Autopilot functionally has not improved in the last 3-4 years a while ago, and of course since then nothing has changed: NoA is worthless, Autopilot is essentially unimproved from 2016-2017, and everybody has caught up.

• Disagree
Reactions: SucreTease and AMPd
I’m 6’1 and had no issues with the solid roof.

i agree the model s design is beautiful. But personally there’s no sedan better looking than the Porsche Panamera. It’s just sooo smooth and sexy. And when that spoiler comes up... ooofff!
View attachment 592981 View attachment 592982

Panamera's front was always good but its back was just misshapen (though it looked much better in real life than pictures). With the 2017 redesign they've totally nailed it. It's the best looking big luxury sedan now, in my opinion.

• Love
Reactions: AMPd
I disagree with the headline. Plaid probably signals the timing of a design refresh. Or rather the announced timing as to not osborne current S sales. Even though the S is Tesla's best design it is too familiar now. The body needs to be refreshed and the screens need to be more spaceship. Tesla knows they need the wow factor back not later than next year.

A summer launch seems right.

I have no guess on the X. To me it wins the award of "the Tesla most likely designed by committee". They weren't brave enough to lose the Tesla mustache on the X or the S refresh. The next high end designs won't worry so much about appealing to traditional car buyers. For Tesla being conservative now actually becomes risky.

Tesla needs to refresh the S next year . They know it.

It seems likely that Tesla would introduce interior/exterior design changes either when or before Plaid goes into production - so the new battery/drive train is manufactured on the new platform.

It's very likely Tesla will redesign S & X at the same time - increasing the use of shared components allowing them to build S & X on the same line, reducing manufacturing costs and freeing up space at Fremont. They could even shift the S/X manufacturing to Nevada or Texas, further reducing their manufacturing costs on their lower volume, higher priced models. And due to the lower volumes of S/X, Tesla could shift to using their new stamped manufacturing, integrating the batteries into the frame - and prove that out for S/X before introducing that to the higher volume products.

Compared to 3/Y, it's clear the S/X dash should be redesigned. With an increased emphasis on entertainment, the console display should be rotated - and possibly even enlarged (compared to the smaller display in the lower priced models).

Since Tesla is focused on achieving FSD, we're likely going to see a de-emphasis on driver controls, which could eliminate the dashboard display in S/X, either going exclusively to just a center console display, or using a virtual (HUD) display for the dashboard [which would be another differentiator from the lower priced models].

And, we're likely to see other interior changes - that provides increased comfort and functionality for everyone in the vehicle (including the person in the "driver" position, who will just be watching the autopilot drive...

Like with past model changes, Tesla will likely wait to disclose these changes until they're ready to go into manufacturing. So if we don't hear anything about an S/X refresh for a while, that doesn't mean they aren't working on it - and won't see something late next year.

Reactions: FreqFlyer
Not even joking, I’ve never had to do this. Nor has the dealer or shop ever recommended doing this.

Most air-cooled engine will need this sort of fiddling, as will most older engines in general; I had an old (1970) volvo with solid lifters that had a schedule for regular valve gap measurement/adjustment (pull of valve cover, rotate engine to a specific point in the rotation then check open valves with a little feeler gauge, rotate engine a bit, check more valves, etc, until all valves have been checked). There was a little nut you'd loosen, then turn a screw, then tighten the nut again to set the tolerances. Probably want to also check the timing and carburetor as well while you're fiddling around. More modern cars had little metal disks to put between the cam and a little bucket that sits over the valve stems, fuel injection, and solid state ignition. Even more modern cars have a little cavity in the lifter that fills up with oil and that keeps the tolerances even if there's a little wear in the valve train. Thank goodness the EPA mandated that cars had to have emissions warranties for some long period of time or we'd still be doing this garbage and car companies would be saying nobody wants a reliable (or safe) car...

The mechanicalness of old cars is awesome (in many sense of the word) -- seeing how people in the 1950s and earlier made these musical instrument / engines to function in hot / cold weather and at high and low power demands and still have some vague degree of fuel economy and reliability, all without computers is astonishing. I could fiddle with an old volvo (or maybe an old british car) all day.

But, if I want to get somewhere in comfort, safety and speed, there's no replacement for electric cars. Hit "throttle" pedal, go fast. No waiting around for turbos to spool up or transmissions to decide what gear you want, no waiting for air to go in and explosions and exhaust to go out. Once the rest of the physics is resolved, there's no reason to play with antique chuggy chuggy boom boom cars except / only because you want to play with an expensive, dirty, dangerous toy.

Reactions: bay74 and zecar