Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reservation Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not just because demand might turn out to be soft. It appears that productivity has not been as high as anticipated, and as a result Tesla is taking a brute force approach to meeting their production targets, ie by throwing bodies at the problem.

However, it seems very likely that productivity will eventually improve, so Tesla wouldn't want to lock themselves into a workforce that is far more than necessary to meet their production goals. So I think it's more of an "all of the above" strategy, where Tesla is just trying to stay flexible so they can adapt as both the market and their production capabilities come into greater focus.

Yes, but if they end up with extra capacity wouldn't those people be able to shift into Model X production?

Appreciate your efforts. You are far ahead of professionals who still quote the last qtr conference call number. I know your accurate as well since you pinned my reservation number on the day I made it. Do you have any handle on cancellations? Now that wait for car once reservation is made appears to be dropping to about 6-8 months instead of years the cancellation number may drop.

15,119 was reported on the TM forums, having reserved on the evening of 12/1. The last 17 days have seen 1198 reservations for the US, for an annualized rate of over 25,700. Sorry Europe, Canada and Asia, there will be no cars left for you :)

Tongue in cheek, I know, but we're probably seeing a combination of impending price increase and COTY awards right now. Still, momentum is picking up, and the bump in $5k reservation deposits spell good news for the Q4 earnings call...

It's not just because demand might turn out to be soft. It appears that productivity has not been as high as anticipated, and as a result Tesla is taking a brute force approach to meeting their production targets, ie by throwing bodies at the problem.

However, it seems very likely that productivity will eventually improve, so Tesla wouldn't want to lock themselves into a workforce that is far more than necessary to meet their production goals. So I think it's more of an "all of the above" strategy, where Tesla is just trying to stay flexible so they can adapt as both the market and their production capabilities come into greater focus.

Yeah, this is interesting to analyze from a future-profits point of view. Tesla already has a high enough reservation rate to justify two shifts even if they do get a single shift up to 400 cars per week. They do not yet have a high enough reservation rate (even with model X) to justify three shifts at 400 cars per week each, but geez, at this reservation rate they could within the year. The profit margins are going to depend on whether they actually can get the rates up. So far they've been quite competent on manufacturing -- there are obviously companies which are better, but this is pretty good for a startup factory -- so I'm assuming they will do so, but it may take a while. In the meantime three shifts will help to reduce the order backlog.

In my investment analysis I no longer consider lack of demand, lack of production, lack of production quality, or low profit margins on cars to be serious possibilities. I think the risk factors are all in parts of the business other than design, manufacturing, and sales.

Minimum of a 10 day average of reservations per data point.

untitled.PNG

Tongue in cheek, I know, but we're probably seeing a combination of impending price increase and COTY awards right now. Still, momentum is picking up, and the bump in $5k reservation deposits spell good news for the Q4 earnings call...

Momentum IS picking up. I agree that the added visibility of the COTY awards etc and price increase has drastically sent the reservation rate up. But how are we going ever going to quantify how many reservations per day are being made because the public has started seeing the cars out and about? These are rolling advertisements and boy are they pretty. I predict that after December the reservation rate will settle down but not to the pre-COTY award levels. Thoughts?

But Trnsl8r, that's 3,000 cars with NO cars on the road, no friends with cars to chat them up, and absolutely no test drives! I really don't think they'll have a problem with lining up 20,000 a year.

Chatting them up now... I just ran into an old friend and mentioned that I was getting a Tesla. Response: Oh, thats the one my daughter told me about. What can you tell me. MTCOY, blah blah blah, Plugin, blah blah bla, reservation, blah blah blah, about 9 month wait, blah blah blah, Price increase blah blah blah. End of conversation was: I guess I should get one on order now...

So I noticed that my reservation (11k's) is for a standard Model S. I've recently developed a liking for the performance version. If and when I do get my finalize email, would I be able to configure a Model S performance? Or do I have to make another reservation for the performance Model S?

So I noticed that my reservation (11k's) is for a standard Model S. I've recently developed a liking for the performance version. If and when I do get my finalize email, would I be able to configure a Model S performance? Or do I have to make another reservation for the performance Model S?

You actually don't pick anything until you get your finalize e-mail so you can pick at that time.

No need for a new res. When you finalize your options just select the Performance version.

Actually, Tesla is gearing up for a third shift. If you look at the TM website/career section, they are hiring CDC operators for the "Graveyard Shift". Having more CDC operators would be the first step in having a full graveyard shift. Not sure if they are hiring for other disciplines in the graveyard shift. Most other positions that listed a shift listed the swing shift.

It was also interesting that TM had many positions that were temp or temp to perm, so it seems like TM is being smart about how they hire (in case current demand is not sustainable in 2013). IMO, TM will be able to keep up demand, as they really have not done any advertising/marketing, and current demand is from word of mouth/good press/great reviews. Once they really market the car, they may see another upward demand spike. Plus, they have only partially turned on the spigot for international demand.
They may need the third shift to help cope with the non-North America orders like those from Australia and Europe....

They may need the third shift to help cope with the non-North America orders like those from Australia and Europe....

Dborn- You might be right. It seems like US demand has risen as TM has increased production, while international demand keeps increasing as well. The question I wonder about is when Elon said they planned to achieve a production rate of 400 cars/week in December, is that based on a single work shift or multiple work shifts? I wonder what affect a third shift will have on the production rate? While it will take a few weeks to hire, train, etc, I imagine TM should be able to exceed production 400 units/week next quarter.

So I noticed that my reservation (11k's) is for a standard Model S. I've recently developed a liking for the performance version.

Same here. Although from my calculations switching to a perf for me basically puts the car over $100k in cost...lol.

Performance Base Price
Black Paint (included)
Panoramic Roof
19" wheel downgrade (included)
Tan leather Interior (included)
Obeche Wood (included)
Tech Package
Sound Studio
Active Air Suspension (included)
Parcel Shelf
8 yr 100,000 mile Prepaid maintenance
4 yr 50,000 mile Extended Warranty
Tesla Personal Delivery
Tesla Final inspection/prep
NJ sales tax on EV's
NJ registration/doc fees
$92,400.00
$-
$1,500.00
$-
$-
$-
$3,750.00
$950.00
$-
$250.00
$4,800.00
$2,500.00
$990.00
$180.00
$-
$400.00
$107,720.00

Is this my mid-life crisis buy? I'm only 32 though... lol perhaps this is my "sexual signaling" -> http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2009/10/14/study-testosterone-cars.html maybe I should just wait and get a bicycle in a few years instead http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Middle-aged-men-buying-BIKES-sportscars.html

Last edited: