Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modern cruise control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really want this to be controllable without letting go of the steering wheel. By modern I mean with a "max" mode like pretty much every new European car.

I love the max speed mode, where you set the limiter to your preferred speed and then just keep a safe distance to the other cars. When the road is clear you hit the pedal and it accelerates smoothly up to the limiter speed. Press through the pedal resistance to go over for some reason. It's such a relaxing way to drive - you pretty much never have to look at the speed indicator and you never get fines.

And before you say it: I don't trust AP and won't pay for it.

I really want this to be controllable without letting go of the steering wheel. By modern I mean with a "max" mode like pretty much every new European car.

I love the max speed mode, where you set the limiter to your preferred speed and then just keep a safe distance to the other cars. When the road is clear you hit the pedal and it accelerates smoothly up to the limiter speed. Press through the pedal resistance to go over for some reason. It's such a relaxing way to drive - you pretty much never have to look at the speed indicator and you never get fines.

AP is just a collection of features. Traffic aware cruise control is one of them. Don't pay for it if you want, but you won't get it then.

Reactions: DrivingRockies
AP is just a collection of features. Traffic aware cruise control is one of them. Don't pay for it if you want, but you won't get it then.

I don't want traffic aware cruise control. I'll be aware of the traffic. I just want to be able to set (and easily change) a max speed.

This is really simple stuff. Doesn't cost extra from Renault, Toyota, Audi (cars I have driven recently).

This is going to be the only thing that's worse than my cheap Renault Zoe - here's the button that switches the cruise control between constant speed and max speed. It would be such a simple software update for Tesla - to bring them up to par with other non-autonomous cars.

Attachments

• zoe cruise control.jpg
    zoe cruise control.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 95
This is going to be the only thing that's worse than my cheap Renault Zoe - here's the button that switches the cruise control between constant speed and max speed. It would be such a simple software update for Tesla - to bring them up to par with other non-autonomous cars.
That's not on any Japanese or American car that I have ever seen. I have not seen it on any Euro imports in the US either (though my exposure is limited).

Funny. According to this page: it is "Found on: Citroen, Ford, Nissan, Peugeot, Renault, vans, can be added aftermarket, too."
Cruise control and adaptive cruise control: the complete guide

Apart from my own little Renault, I've seen it in a rented 2017 Audi A4 in the UK and in a rented 2016 Toyota RAV4 in Australia. But it seems to be unknown in the US, which probably explains why Tesla don't add the feature. I Googled the manual for the US version of the 2017 Audi A4 and the feature is missing.

According to What is a speed limiter? EuroNCAP give you points for having the limiter. That makes me hopeful that Tesla will add it too.

Apart from being relaxing, I'm pretty sure it makes me a safer driver because I don't have to take my eyes off the road to check the speedometer. Especially with a car that has a quiet engine or no engine. I can achieve the same with old-fashioned cruise control, but I have to switch it on and off all the time unless I am on a completely empty road.

So their Max mode is just a way to have the car accelerate up to a set speed for you, without its continuing to maintain speed? Or is just that you want more pedal resistance while at cruise control speed?

Cruise Control is for level highways with at most gentle grades on hills. Where it fails, and notably has never been improved, is how it behaves when the car starts up steeper grades. Here the brain-dead CC downshifts and floors the accelerator in order to mindlessly maintain the same road speed. This is gross misbehavior that is contrary to most driver's reaction which would be to simply hold the pedal steady and climb the hill at a reduced speed (no downshifting, no roaring of the engine). If the hill continues most drivers will increase pedal a bit after the inevitable downshift so that the engine power increase is minimized. This is civilized driving and a CC that would allow for that might be called "Elastic CC" as opposed to the road speed based aggressive CC. That no manufacturer has offered an algorithm based CC is indicative of herd mentality of the worst sort. [end of rant]
--

I don't want traffic aware cruise control. I'll be aware of the traffic. I just want to be able to set (and easily change) a max speed.

This is really simple stuff. Doesn't cost extra from Renault, Toyota, Audi (cars I have driven recently).

I'm pretty sure that Tesla will allow us to adjust the max speed of cruise control from the scroll wheel on the steering wheel. It would seem like a perfect use for it. But honestly, why would you want basic cruise control where you still have to manually set the max speed when you could have traffic aware cruise control automatically adjust the speed of the car for you?

According to What is a speed limiter? EuroNCAP give you points for having the limiter. That makes me hopeful that Tesla will add it too.

Apart from being relaxing, I'm pretty sure it makes me a safer driver because I don't have to take my eyes off the road to check the speedometer. Especially with a car that has a quiet engine or no engine. I can achieve the same with old-fashioned cruise control, but I have to switch it on and off all the time unless I am on a completely empty road.

I'm pretty sure the traffic aware cruise control on the Tesla already does a better version of the speed limiter.

On the Model S and the Model X you can set the max speed by pulling the stalk a few seconds towards you, plus an offset you can define under settings.

It works dynamically based on max speed from navigation system or by its readings from signs.

Or you can also set the max speed by pulling the stalk upward.

It will manage your speed perfectly from standstill in traffic jams up to your set max speed (plus offset when applicable).

I think it is far superior to any other system, including the "premium" brands.

I am sure the TACC function which is part of the EAP package on the Model 3 will perform equally superior.

OP appears to be looking for something more along the speed limit chime option. But tied to pedal operation.

Not something I have ever experienced in US cars. So it’s hard for us to picture.

I use TACC (ACC by other vendors) all the time. But I can perhaps see a benefit of what OP is asking for in hilly terrain. Given it’s in European cars, many must appreciate it :)

Op - there is an option to make the car chime at a preset speed. Either absolute or an offset from the speed limit.

I can achieve the same with old-fashioned cruise control, but I have to switch it on and off all the time unless I am on a completely empty road.
Why would you have to switch it on and off all the time. I drive the majority of my commute using regular cruise control and can control my speed just fine using the control stalk. Clicking it up and down lets me adjust my speed based on surrounding traffic, if traffic is slowing considerably I can just coast for a few seconds then resume my previous speed or maintain the current speed. All this only takes a few flicks of the control stalk, I never have to turn it off and on again.

> It will manage your speed perfectly from standstill in traffic jams up to your set max speed (plus offset when applicable). [BobbyKings]

When climbing hills does it allow for different settings of aggressiveness or does it always maintain the same road speed (100% agressive)?

What does changing the offset actually do?
--