Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The pre-sale for our MPP Lightweight Battery Kit is ending in one week, on March 15th!

MPP Lightweight Lithium Battery Kit

MPP-Battery-Kit.png

I normally put Odyssey Extreme batteries in my car. How does this battery compare to the usual suspects (Odyssey, Braille, Optima)
We spent a good bit of time talking to different manufacturers, only a few of those make Li-ion batteries and the ones that do don't have BMS, which we consider necessary. We settled on EarthX because we considered it to be the best option regardless of price.

I don't know what they are updating.....I wasn't notified.

I saw it here in TMC.

Suspension upgrade to early Model 3
That is ancient. The "new" suspension is on car built since around May 2018. If yours is earlier than that you can request that they change your suspension, but I don't know whether they would change it for you or not. But, if you already have MPP coil-overs, you are better off than what Tesla offers.

Sasha any plans on offering rotors that can work with the Model S calipers. Some of us what to stay with the 18" wheels but want rotors bigger than the stock 320mm rotors. 355x32mm rotor disks are plentiful we just need the hat :p

2 days left for the MPP Lightweight Battery Kit sale!
Sasha any plans on offering rotors that can work with the Model S calipers. Some of us what to stay with the 18" wheels but want rotors bigger than the stock 320mm rotors. 355x32mm rotor disks are plentiful we just need the hat :p

Changing the calipers/piston sizes will cause the ABS to work incorrectly. For example, when you retrofit the M-Sport brakes on your BMW you have to reflash the ABS software! We don't have the ability to do that, and even Tesla doesn't. The ABS is programmed by Bosch alone. The ABS control unit can't recognize when you change the piston sizes and will apply line pressure and pulsations based on the stock piston size tuning Bosch and Tesla did on the street and track.

Changing the calipers/piston sizes will cause the ABS to work incorrectly. For example, when you retrofit the M-Sport brakes on your BMW you have to reflash the ABS software! We don't have the ability to do that, and even Tesla doesn't. The ABS is programmed by Bosch alone. The ABS control unit can't recognize when you change the piston sizes and will apply line pressure and pulsations based on the stock piston size tuning Bosch and Tesla did on the street and track.

Thanks for the info. That's disappointing :( .

Thanks for the info. That's disappointing :( .
Is not that bad I went around my garage the other day comparing various calipers to the P3D Stealth. The stock calipers are still quite large and are on par with those on the BMW M3s, Audi S3/4/5s that I saw. If you look at the PUP closely the font caliper barely looks bigger if at all. The rear caliper looks to be of similar size with only a cover.

Last edited:
Reactions: MountainPass

I am not trying to thread-jack, but I am not sure I agree with this. The only thing different piston sizes would affect is brake bias. In fact, putting track pads on the front axle and leaving the rear pads as is would have a much greater affect on brake bias than the piston size would. Technically, the ABS module doesn't "know" when you put track pads on the front axle, but no one is worried about that and ABS functions fine. Keep in mind you still have a wheel speed sensor measuring wheel speed and detecting slip, so the ABS module should react in response to those input values.

I measured the piston size on the S Calipers, 3 PUP Calipers, and 3 Base Calipers. All I can say is the brake bias difference is roughly 2% based on piston sizes. Installing track pads is a roughly 10% difference.

I've consulted engineers prior to posting this as I don't want to throw around inaccurate information. Finally, I can attest that the ABS has worked fine in my experience when running the S brakes. I tracked the car at NCCAR without issue and will be tracking it again at VIR next weekend.

For some more in-depth reading, I would recommend this (I also have an E46 M3 Track Car): How to Calculate Brake Bias - BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)

I measured the piston size on the S Calipers, 3 PUP Calipers, and 3 Base Calipers. All I can say is the brake bias difference is roughly 2% based on piston sizes. Installing track pads is a roughly 10% difference.
Excuse my ignorance here but if the bias difference between the three caliper types is that small then what is the benefit of the S or PUP calipers over stock?

Also since you've measured it what is the actual size delta between the stock and PUP calipers?