Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Highland UK - stalks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder what other solution could have been implemented, besides stalks, obvs...

Capacitive buttons on the steering where you can tap a side to indicate?
Intelligent steering wheel buttons that can sense when the wheel is turned upside down and invert the controls accordingly?

Reactions: WilburT
I wonder what other solution could have been implemented, besides stalks, obvs...

Capacitive buttons on the steering where you can tap a side to indicate?
Intelligent steering wheel buttons that can sense when the wheel is turned upside down and invert the controls accordingly?
I guess the question is "why remove the stalk?". Reduce complexity etc. yeah ok whatever but then add manufacturing components for stuff on the wheel.

Reactions: Leejmoff
Tesla saving money for the sake of safety and ease of use. I can't believe it.......

I'm with OP, I'm not buying a car with no stalks for indicators. Its dangerous in my opinion.
I guess that's means unless you buy a MY this year you won't be getting a new from factory Tesla, since it's only the MY that still has stalks and I'd suggest is highly likely to have them removed at its refresh.

I've done just over 800 miles in my Highland, mainly local around town and 2 long trips and had only a couple of times where I missed having stalks. Now I accept for some that even one time is too many, but it is what it is and I'm just not sure that the Martian will back down and put them back in.

I guess that's means unless you buy a MY this year you won't be getting a new from factory Tesla, since it's only the MY that still has stalks and I'd suggest is highly likely to have them removed at its refresh.

I've done just over 800 miles in my Highland, mainly local around town and 2 long trips and had only a couple of times where I missed having stalks. Now I accept for some that even one time is too many, but it is what it is and I'm just not sure that the Martian will back down and put them back in.
I suspect stalks is a generational issue.
For older drivers it might be an issue, but the younger ones will get used to it very quickly.

For older drivers it might be an issue, but the younger ones will get used to it very quickly.
Not sure on that, I'm over 50 so I've been driving with stalks for many years.

Still only took 5 minutes to be completely functional on the buttons without having to look at them, and a couple of weeks to start to actually prefer them over stalks, which was a surprise to me, but many others have found the same.

I still have to drive a car with stalks occasionally and I really dislike them now.

Almost everyone I see complaining about them have not even done a test drive, a few have at least done that, but not many who have actually owned the car (there are a few to be sure) or the new X/S etc actually have any issue with them.

There was a time when people would say the same thing about the steering wheel but Tesla backed down over the yoke so I imagine many people believe stalks will make a comeback too.

Stalks will be back when sales of the Y plummet. EV sales are already struggling as it is and regular punters won’t put up with it when they can spend their money elsewhere
Not sure I agree, stalks didn't affect the sales of S and X and don't seem to have affected the sales of the 3 (huge backlogs of customers waiting here), I don't see any reason that the Y will be any different.

Reactions: boombap

My son holds a karting track record but I still beat him on an aircraft joystick simulator and equal him on reaction time test at an aviation museum we occasionally visit.

I don’t think age comes into any ability to adapt or dexterity until perhaps mobility issues creep in which can affect anyone of any age.

As mentioned before, if anything, the longer you have been adapting to change the better you become at it.

Reactions: DoricJim and init6
Not sure on that, I'm over 50 so I've been driving with stalks for many years.

Still only took 5 minutes to be completely functional on the buttons without having to look at them, and a couple of weeks to start to actually prefer them over stalks, which was a surprise to me, but many others have found the same.

I still have to drive a car with stalks occasionally and I really dislike them now.

Almost everyone I see complaining about them have not even done a test drive, a few have at least done that, but not many who have actually owned the car (there are a few to be sure) or the new X/S etc actually have any issue with them.
and almost everyone I see praising the change is not from the UK.

I've got 40+ years experience of (wildly) different user interfaces. I suspect the young 'uns will struggle with change more than the old ones :)
Good point! And even in respect of indicators there were many old classic cars that didn’t have stalk operated blinkers. They weren’t all standardised, so some (much) older drivers may well have had to adapt over the years.

Good point! And even in respect of indicators there were many old classic cars that didn’t have stalk operated blinkers. They weren’t all standardised, so some (much) older drivers may well have had to adapt over the years.
They’ve switched sides in my lifetime (I’m 50s), but that was a case of muscle memory. Stalkless indicators is only muscle memory when the steering wheel is relatively straight ahead. From when the steering wheel is turned more than 45 deg, and certainly more than 90 degrees, hand positions move and it stops being muscle memory because it’s stop being a repetitive movement, and even those praising the buttons typically add “there were only a couple of times when i had to look..” and pass that off as acceptable