Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tesla 70D owner!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh no worries smalls. I had the same struggle. My decision point was based on where I was driving. I have 60 mi total trip from home to work and the beach is only 120 miles away. I took less mileage in the car saved my money so I could wrap/tint/upgrade audio. Easy peasy

Thank you! Sounds like 70d is a really nice car. I don't know why people are crazy over 85d. 20 extra miles and 0.8 sec faster 0-60 is inconsequential, not worth 10k at least.

My first S was a 60. I live in So Cal and drove it everywhere including San Francisco, Las Vegas Palm Springs and was planning an Arizona trip. There was simply no need for more power or range for me. Ordered another 60 5 weeks ago just to get all of the safety features. I didn't even have parking sensors. 6 days after I ordered, the 70 was released and I changed to have the first of the new series rather than the last of the old. Bottom line is for me, 0-60 a second quicker, or ability to drive 35-45 more miles is of no value. Just need to put into perspective what is important to you at the price that is most comfortable. Then don't hesitate in getting it!

+1.
Please comment on the supercharger speed with 70d. Also we need real world range and efficiency comparison with 70d.
And, if possible, available (usable) battery capacity, compared to the 79 kWh usable with the 85 kWh battery pack.

Do we really not have metrics from this new model's battery and charger yet... :crying: ? Kushari and those who've got theirs already, some screenies please :confused:

Another way to look at it: the 70d has only 13 miles less range than the P85D.

Volt - 30K, gutless, not luxurious, doesn't have the tech that Tesla has.
70d - 90K, enough power, luxurious, loaded with tech.
85d - 100K, slightly more power and range, luxurious, loaded with tech.
p85d - 130K, loads more power, luxurious, loaded with tech.

My point being, as you spend more money, the value for money vs money spent chart isn't quite linear.
The more you spend in absolute dollars, the less value you get.
A 200K car isn't twice as good as a 100K car.
And I'd be willing to bet, once the Model 3 is out, the 70d will look like crap.
Model 3 will probably have all the toys with similar range and smaller size - for those of us who prefer smaller size!

But if your target is luxury + eco friendly, you have two choices - Cadillac ELR and Tesla.
And caddy just doesn't excite me.

To each their own, my heart is set on 70d, unless I can find an 85d for 3k more. Not 10k more.

I went to the showroom today btw. The next gen seats are nice :).

Last edited:
Volt - 30K, gutless, not luxurious, doesn't have the tech that Tesla has.
70d - 90K, enough power, luxurious, loaded with tech.
85d - 100K, slightly more power and range, luxurious, loaded with tech.
p85d - 130K, loads more power, luxurious, loaded with tech.

My point being, as you spend more money, the value for money vs money spent chart isn't quite linear.

The more you spend in absolute dollars, the less value you get.
A 200K car isn't twice as good as a 100K car.
And I'd be willing to bet, once the Model 3 is out, the 70d will look like crap.
Model 3 will probably have all the toys with similar range and smaller size - for those of us who prefer smaller size!

But if your target is luxury + eco friendly, you have two choices - Cadillac ELR and Tesla.
And caddy just doesn't excite me.

To each their own, my heart is set on 70d, unless I can find an 85d for 3k more. Not 10k more.

I went to the showroom today btw. The next gen seats are nice :).

I'm not so sure I would agree with all of that.

The ELR is the best looking EV on the market - hands down. However, for twice the cost of the Volt and almost the exact drivetrain as the Volt, it certainly isn't worth twice the cost.

Having said that, I need a backseat for my son's growing legs. MS is the next logical step for someone who has been driving a Volt for 4 years now.

I'd love to see the 0-30 times for the 70D and the Volt. I'd be willing to bet they are comparable.

My 4 year old 2011 Volt, according to C&D, has a 0-30 in 3.2 seconds . . .

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/2011-chevrolet-volt-full-test2011-chevrolet-volt-complete-specs-and-performance-data.pdf

The 70D does 0-30 in 2.1 seconds. I stand corrected.

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/2015-tesla-model-s-70d-instrumented-test-review-car-and-driver2015-tesla-model-s-70d.pdf

I'm still underimpressed with the 70D's performance and hope I can afford an inventory 85D, although I have never driven one! :)

Thank you! Sounds like 70d is a really nice car. I don't know why people are crazy over 85d. 20 extra miles and 0.8 sec faster 0-60 is inconsequential, not worth 10k at least.

Bases on forum member tests the 85D is closer to 4 seconds than 4.4 seconds. The difference in that is quite substantial as that is Mercedes AMG or BMW M level performance as opposed to the typical E class or 5 series performance you'd get with the 70D. The 70D is not slow and it is certainly a fast car but the acceleration is nothing special compared to others cars in that price segment. If you are coming from a lower powered car the 70D is likely going to feel a lot faster but if you were already driving a higher trim German car with a V8 the 70D performance is not going to be that impressive.

I was underwhelmed by the acceleration of the 70D compared to what I am sued to but was completely satisfied with the acceleration of the 85D. I consider the extra $10K worth it for the acceleration but IMHO the 85D needs a larger battery to better justify the $10K price difference.