Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #29 is available now with topics time-stamped. We discussed the Tesla Cybertruck's expected 1 MW Ultra-Fast Charging capability, the Tesla Semi Delivery Event, the coming Model 3 refresh (project "Highland"), and more. You can watch it now on YouTube.

No Summon?

daniel

May 7, 2009
Kihei, HI
Working my way through the owner's manual. There's a section on auto-parking, but nothing about summon. I was hoping (given the excessive width of the car and the size of my garage) that it would be able to drive itself into and out of my garage. But there's nothing in the manual. (I'm getting it with EAP.) Apparently summon, which I thought was on AP1 for the Model S, is not on the Model 3???

run-the-joules

Turgid Member
Aug 13, 2017
SF Bay
Working my way through the owner's manual. There's a section on auto-parking, but nothing about summon. I was hoping (given the excessive width of the car and the size of my garage) that it would be able to drive itself into and out of my garage. But there's nothing in the manual. (I'm getting it with EAP.) Apparently summon, which I thought was on AP1 for the Model S, is not on the Model 3???

Correct. It should be coming soon I hope. That, WiFi, and ability to use right scroll for ap follow distance and speed are biggest "wants" for me in software updates right now.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
I didn't even have cruise control on my AP2 Model X I took in Dec 2016. Inferior to my 1987 Nissan Maxima (RIP) in that respect.
No cruise control to autosteer limit of 90 on highways is a long ways. Yes not as fast as people expected but progress has been made and will continue to evolve.

My Volt's feature set that I got in October 2016 I expect to remain exactly the same to the day I turn it back in on Oct 2019.

These days everything is wireless.
I hope you are kidding.... how would you power a heating coil wirelessly.... Activation could be wireless (still highly unlikely) but you would still need high current to power the coil array in the seat. Only possible way it could be wireless is if they engeneered some sort of high current induction system to transfer the power but that would be pointless because it could all be replaced with a connector for a few bucks...

Reactions: Garrett0606

ℬête Noire

Jan 30, 2018
TX
I've heard claims the hardware is there, from multiple sources** but I've never seen pictures.

Those T-sportline folks should know the answer to this, they've got those full custom seat re-upholstery(?) kits already. I've not paid much attention to them, not really in the market, but I'm pretty sure they claim not to mess with the seat heaters so they should know.

EDIT: Getting off my arse, figuratively but not literally, I figured out a search that lead me to this: Vendor - World's First Customized Model 3: Project 3X Walkthrough

No joy, is their assessment. *shrug*

** Where "sources" = "Rando people posting on the Internet". :D

Last edited:

daniel

May 7, 2009
Kihei, HI
I hope you are kidding.... how would you power a heating coil wirelessly.... Activation could be wireless (still highly unlikely) but you would still need high current to power the coil array in the seat. Only possible way it could be wireless is if they engeneered some sort of high current induction system to transfer the power but that would be pointless because it could all be replaced with a connector for a few bucks...

I'm pretty sure it was a joke.

Personally, I think that heated seats are a joke. I lived for three decades in North Dakota. I never had a car with heated seats. And my butt never got cold. My feet and hands just about froze into solid blocks of ice. I'd have given my eye teeth for a heated steering wheel. But I have no use for heated seats. I know other folks like them, but to me they are useless.

I'm pretty sure it was a joke.

Personally, I think that heated seats are a joke. I lived for three decades in North Dakota. I never had a car with heated seats. And my butt never got cold. My feet and hands just about froze into solid blocks of ice. I'd have given my eye teeth for a heated steering wheel. But I have no use for heated seats. I know other folks like them, but to me they are useless.

Yes, I actually work wireless stuff :)

Also I'm from Finland and now living in Seattle. In general the weather is too hot in here, but still I enjoy the heated seats on my cars when it gets close to freezing.

gregd

Dec 31, 2014
CM98
Heated seats are pretty much free, power-wise. If you can use the seats instead of cranking up the cabin heat, you'll have that much more range. And the heat from your more-toasty-now butt will spread...

ℬête Noire

Jan 30, 2018
TX
Heated seats are pretty much free, power-wise. If you can use the seats instead of cranking up the cabin heat, you'll have that much more range. And the heat from your more-toasty-now butt will spread...
Normally that's not how it works. If it's worthy of turning on the seat then you'll need to run at least some cabin heat to keep the fog off the windshield.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC