Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NRMA fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's quite possible they don't have the power readily available there for two units. I wonder if NRMA is getting any telemetry on how heavily-used their sites are, or if they're totally offline?
I think it might be the timing, not the location. They first started in 2018, I think? At the time they would have been thrilled that the sites were being used at all. The recent trend for a higher number of 2 stall sites is probably a reflection on EV traffic in 2022 and beyond, not EV traffic in Brewarinna :)

I saw a photo of a slide some years back where NRMA had listed the number of sessions per site. Could even be earlier in this thread. Mittagong was right up there. I'm sure if they could upgrade, they would have. Perhaps they've done their bit (building a bare bones network) and leaving it to the commercial operators?

At least Teslas don't need to charge there, we can generally all skip it.
Except if you’re from the country and you don’t have great charging opportunities in the city before you have to turn around and head back. There’s very little charging in Sydney unless you’re visiting its north side, or the inner city.

Anyone visiting the southern half of the city would need to detour to Cabramatta, Picton or Mittagong - or worse, to toll-road-central - to add enough charge to comfortably reach Goulburn on the way back out. And possibly on the way in too.

Though Kirrawee will be an option soon. Take the F6 and Picton Road and join the Hume at Wilton.

I think it might be the timing, not the location. They first started in 2018, I think? At the time they would have been thrilled that the sites were being used at all. The recent trend for a higher number of 2 stall sites is probably a reflection on EV traffic in 2022 and beyond, not EV traffic in Brewarinna :)

Some of the early sites - Lithgow, Port, Byron - were 2 chargers, though. And they're still putting in single-charger sites now.

I figured the 2-charger sites at places like Coonamble and Brewarrina were likely there for redundancy reasons rather than traffic.

Also interesting from a photo posted today (my crop) from Plugshare for Willcannia that an NRMA app is coming soon.

So maybe they won't be using the Chargefox app.

Screenshot_20220105-145649.png

Cool design on the Wilcannia one! Is it that the only one that's not the standard blue? I hope they make the app like a game where you tick off all the chargers you have been to. You should get a prize when you have collected them all. Something like a postcard or tea towel with a map on it of the chargers.

Cool design on the Wilcannia one! Is it that the only one that's not the standard blue?
I think there are some that are more inverted blue/white (i.e. mostly white) such as The Farm @ Byron. But there were only a few and then they went back to mostly blue.

As far as other chargers around the country.. (won't share photos as will get a bit off topic) Kojonup in WA has a cool indigenous design on it. And the EHT ones in Tasmania all have an image on the back with photos and info of local attractions.

I highly doubt the environmental parameters of the chargers were engineered based on a light-coloured shell being required.

(Those screens seem to be the weak link that die in the sun regardless of where they're installed, though!).

I like the livery too, but colours that dark, in an outback climate, in full sunlight, will utterly cook the electronics inside.
I just had a look at the bigger pic on Plugshare. It's only part of the front panel that is black, the rest is white. There's a hedge a little bit behind the units.. so depending on which direction they are facing, the black surface may not even see direct sunlight.

Edit: I'm wrong. Looks like full morning and midday sun:

1641360745092.png

Not to mention all the red dust being sucked up through the lower vents.
I seem to remember the RTM75 units were better sealed than the RT50. However I just checked the brochure for both and they are both IP65.

Last edited:
I like the livery too, but colours that dark, in an outback climate, in full sunlight, will utterly cook the electronics inside.
In Willcannia it will bake either way.
Suspect the colour scheme is more part of an anti-graffiti, anti-vandalism strategy.

What did the Cobar charger look like @toasterX
Edit. See you've added a photo on Plugshare. More classic blue with a bolt icon, and a Cobar Shire sticker.

My own view is that, instead of trying to install one or two in lots of places they would serve the users better with Tesla's strategy: six minimum strategically placed.
The worst that can happen is to arrive at a one or two charger site to find them unavailable for one reason or another: having six means (certainly with Tesla's) you can plan with 99.9% certainly you'll be able to charge at that position,