Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older Teslas limited to 90kW Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, to be fair, you can already swap your battery if you're willing to pay for it. You might save a little bit of money in labor costs with the swapping station, I suppose, but I can't imagine it'd be much cheaper than it is now. We'll see I guess.

I thought Elon in that presentation said it would cost almost as much as filling up a 20 gallon tank. Which is why I don't think that swaps your pack with a new one. Or, as pointed out above, you may be expected to have to exchange it back at some point.

I thought Elon in that presentation said it would cost almost as much as filling up a 20 gallon tank. Which is why I don't think that swaps your pack with a new one. Or, as pointed out above, you may be expected to have to exchange it back at some point.

Yeah, that "as much as a tank of gas" cost is just to swap packs. It's for the ability to have a fully charged pack in 90 seconds rather than waiting 30+ minutes to charge. It's not the cost for actually keeping the pack you swapped to. That cost, I imagine, would be on a case by case basis depending on the condition of your old pack and the condition of the one you received.

Had anyone with an early Sig car ever charged faster than about 65kW? I've only Supercharged about 6 times and I know the rate varies depending on starting SOC, temp...etc

Yes, mine goes to 90 and so do cinergi's and cottonwood's cars. One notable difference is that my Sig has a different taper curve even when compared to production A pack owners. My taper from 90 begins at ~35% whereas for others it begins ~45%.

Yes, mine goes to 90 and so do cinergi's and cottonwood's cars. One notable difference is that my Sig has a different taper curve even when compared to production A pack owners. My taper from 90 begins at ~35% whereas for others it begins ~45%.

Thanks. So your taper starts at about 35% SOC or ~90 rated miles. It's likely I was arriving with more than that. I'll have to keep a closer eye on it next time.

Had anyone with an early Sig car ever charged faster than about 65kW? I've only Supercharged about 6 times and I know the rate varies depending on starting SOC, temp...etc

The fastest I have charged is at 70.5 kW. Temperatures were in the mid 40's. I arrived at the station with 60 miles on the car and I started charging at 65kW. I got up to 70.5 kW after 8 minutes and started to taper down immediately afterward. I was below 60kW another 8 minutes later.

I was just over 65 kW for 4 or 5 minutes. I hit 70ish for just a minute or so.

My battery has a much lower number than the VIN on my car. I suppose the battery may have been re-used after another car didn't make it through QC or something.

Btw, anyone experienced loud buzzing noise from near front wheel well During supercharging? I recorded it if anyone is interested.
VIDEO0002.mp4 - Google Drive
Happens after driving highway speed for several hours and seems like battery cooling but it's really loud.

That's the sound of your A/C compressor on max. I've heard that on really hot days last summer.

If you're referring to the battery swap stations, I don't think you'll be allowed to just keep the one you swapped to. I believe you'll be expected to get your original one back on the return trip.

Elon mentioned you can keep the swap pack if you want and you will be billed for the difference....costs not disclosed yet.... 1st Swap Station so-posed to be on line in a few months between LA & SF.

Can someone add my data to wiki? I don't have permission. Nvm, I got "edit" tab and was able to add mine. Sent a note to Tesla as well.

Guess I'm too late for the party :)

S/N T13B0007207
PN 1014114-00-A
VIN 5947
Delivery March 2013
Charging limited to 90kw

Wanted to add to wiki myself but I don't seem to have permission yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add: S85

Btw, anyone experienced loud buzzing noise from near front wheel well During supercharging? I recorded it if anyone is interested.
VIDEO0002.mp4 - Google Drive
Happens after driving highway speed for several hours and seems like battery cooling but it's really loud.

- - - Updated - - -

@towatana - In case you missed it there are about 3000 vehicles before you that have 120 kW support. There are some users who posted A batteries with April deliveries and it seems you were one of the unfortunate ones that got mixed in with them. It appears that Tesla got a late shipment of A battery cells and didn't know what else to do with them so they randomly stuck them in your car. If you were as excited as I was when they announced 120 kW and then disappointed when you learned your car doesn't support it, then I would press TM on this.

Yes I'm aware of it and that's the reason for me to add my data to this thread. Disappointing to find my coworker who got his earlier than I did has B pack.

Last edited:
Have figured out my 'A' battery problem.

I simply printed the letter 'B' on a sticker and placed it over the 'A' under the wheel well.

Now my battery charges at 120kW.

This method also works for any future revisions of the battery (C, D, E, etc)

I am will to send instructions on how to do this - for a small fee.

Have figured out my 'A' battery problem.
I simply printed the letter 'B' on a sticker and placed it over the 'A' under the wheel well.
Now my battery charges at 120kW.
This method also works for any future revisions of the battery (C, D, E, etc)
I am will to send instructions on how to do this - for a small fee.

Indeed, your moniker suits you well. Hey when are you going to insert yourself in the battery wiki?
Battery table - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum
As I recall you are VIN delta 3 from me. It is lonely at the top (of the shaft list)...

Indeed, your moniker suits you well. Hey when are you going to insert yourself in the battery wiki?
Battery table - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum
As I recall you are VIN delta 3 from me. It is lonely at the top (of the shaft list)...

thanks for pointing to that table, I wasn't aware. I added my Rev D battery from Nov 2013. I wonder what is the difference and if there are Rev C in the wild... 135kW (or 150kW) supercharging ?

I had not been following this thread, but somebody suggested that the last letter was the charging speed reference. If so, my Rav4 EV must charge at 175kW - 200kW.

Here's my pack, Tesla part number 1004200-02-E

The newest Tesla Model S serial number cars have 1014114-00-D

IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1755-1.jpg